Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PA 12 paddle clip
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Anybody else having trouble keeping your paddle on your PA 12 attached with the little clip provided? Mine falls off if I breath on it hard. Im wondering, even though the molded shelves arent built into the PA12's side, how a standard bungee type paddle holder would work on the PA12. The ones found on the revo's, outbacks, etc.

Post subject: Re: PA 12 paddle clip
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Mine came with a velcro strap that wraps around the clip and kayak side carry handle. I have not had any issues other than it can slide forward and back on the handle. I clip the paddle as far aft as I can get it, then clip the beverage holder just forward and so far it has stayed put in surf and chop.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Go to this link http://www.endroad.com and check out the "mini quick fist" rubber clamps, item #30050. I recently installed 2 on my PA to hold my paddle to the side of my PA. They work great. Easy installlation, UV resistant...And they hold the paddle tight, yet are easy to release when you need it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree that the paddle clip provided has a lot to be desired. In fact, I had to return to the launch today to retrieve my paddle when it came off at some point during the process of loading it on the trailer and strapping it down. Thank heavens my buddy at the boat ramp saw it and kept it for me. Of course I had to take all his b.s. to get it back from him :lol:

The clip may work if your are using half a paddle with the t-bone. However, if you are carrying a full size paddle (240 cm) the clip slips around/off. The velcro strap is a temporary solution but doesn't fix the problem.

Going to do some research on various paddle holders that can be mounted on the side of the kayak. Want something that doesn't protrude or get in the way when not in use. Will post if I find something.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I wish Hobie would have molded in the same paddle bungee system from the Outback on the PA's. They are great for holding paddles and any size stakeout pole I can buy. I had an idea of using the paddle clip system on the hobie inflatables by gluing it to the side, but a Hobie rep told me they were curved and likely wouldn't stick.

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day."
-Author Unknown

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

[quote="YakFish"]Go to this link http://www.endroad.com and check out the "mini quick fist" rubber clamps, item #30050. I recently installed 2 on my PA to hold my paddle to the side of my PA. They work great. Easy installlation, UV resistant...And they hold the paddle tight, yet are easy to release when you need it.[/quote

Can you post some pics of your endroad solution?

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day."
-Author Unknown

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've been out in my PA12 several times since getting it. The paddle clamp is weakest component of the yak. The clamp doesn't hold and the velcro was an obvious after thought which doesn't work.

It's almost as though the designers forgot that a paddle needed to be included with it.

I'm looking for alternative solutions too. The paddle for me is a safety precaution, I've had a mirage drive break while 4 miles out. The concept of paddling that many miles with a T-bone paddle is just exhausting to think about.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This is the easiest thing I've found and it keeps the paddle out of the boat so it's not in your way.

I have a small velcro strap I put around it while traveling to and from the lake. Otherwise I've never had it come out on the water. Granted, it's for a single paddle, but you would mount one on both handrails and keep a half paddle on each side, or even stow 1/2 in the hull and the other as shown.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've seen similar clips advertised from Native as well as Scotty. Not sure what brand Hobie uses, but it looks similar just mounted to the paddle instead of the rail? Either way, I keep losing my paddle from the PA12 clip as well. Decided to just throw it beside the chair and rail now instead - not as convenient but neither is I chasing after it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:00 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I lost my 1/2 paddle out of a scotty clip mouted on the rail in my pa last week fishing salmon...didnt realize it till i hit the beach... Need something solid those clips are handy but too easy to knock paddle out

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Checkout the following link. They make a paddle holder which is similar to the Outback paddle holder. You will need to drill hole and attach with bolt/screw/rivet but it will work the same. I have installed the same on both sides of my PA 12 (paddle and stakeout pole). Should add that I had the same paddle holder on another kayak prior to my Hobie and it worked well.

Scroll down to the bottom of the web page

http://www.captdick.net/ANCHOR-TROLLEYS_ANCHORS.htm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If you are looking for a paddle clip that is easy to install, UV resistant, temperature resistant, strong and reliable, check out this link endroad.com. The clamps are sold in pairs and reasonably priced. I had some doubt when I ordered mine, but after installing and using them in the ocean with waves hitting the side of my PA, any trace of doubt disappeared. If I knew how to post a pic of my PA on this website, I'd let you see for yourself. The only not so great thing about them is that it takes a little more effort to secure them. Its a 2 hand operation. But personally...I hardly ever use the paddle, only as a back up or for pushing off obstacles like rocks and pilings. So...This type of clamp allows my paddle to be off the deck, secure and completely out of my way, but close by if I need it.