Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spacing for Cradles?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I tried a search and went back almost 10 pages with no luck finding out what the spacing is supposed to be for the Hobie Pro Angler cradles, anyone know?

Post subject: Re: Spacing for Cradles?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:13 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Atavuss,

The spacing requirement for the cradles is +- 67". I know this to be true for the PA 14 but am not sure about the PA 12. I do know the same cradles are used for both sizes.

The best way to find the "sweet spot" is by turning the PA over and placing the cradles on the hull being sure to identify the fore and aft cradles. Once roughly in place, slide each forward and backward until you find the spot where the most surface contact has been made. Mark with tape and measure, being sure to measure to the center line (bolt holes) of the cradles. You should find it to be close to 67". I believe mine was 65".

If you're measuring for the PA 12, the same technique should be accurate in terms of placement but I don't know what the spacing distance will be. Please let us know what you come up with and good luck!

GR8 Laker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just ordered the PA12' on Friday 7-13-12. I have 2 different PWC trailers with 6 foot bunks. The bunks run parallel to the trailer, swivel about 180* and are adjustable. My plan is to purchase the cradles for the PA12 and mount them on the bunks. I have looked for info and the above posts are the only info I have. I would like to know how wide they are, what the sweet spot is, and the layout for the holes to mount them. I am suspecting that the layout would be for a multihole left-right placement, where I would need a 2 hole placement to run front-to-rear. The bunks are able to be moved 90* so I could use the multiple hole mount if necessary, but then I am limited to a single sweet spot of 62" +/-3-1/2". I also have 2 outbacks that it would be great to be able to use the cradles for.

I have also read about the 2", 4" and 6" pvc piping attached to the bunks at the front and rear. These are self aligning and offer more contact surface area than the cradles. And they are cheaper... I have purchased some 3" perforated drain field pipes and was going to try that for the outbacks. Maybe the PA12' will fit on the pipe and it will be a "One Size Fits All"...

Hobie Outback Olive
Hobie PA 12'
Hobie i9S Sage
Hobie i9S Sage
Native Water Craft Mariner 12.5 Propel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just found this old link from 2-1/2 years ago with some updates from 2 years ago. It has some very good info about the cradles and I just love the way Cracka built his frame and made the cradles work.

So now I guess I will try the 3" pipe first, cause its cheap, then maybe move onto the cradles...

Here is the link... viewtopic.php?f=78&t=19974

Hobie Outback Olive
Hobie PA 12'
Hobie i9S Sage
Hobie i9S Sage
Native Water Craft Mariner 12.5 Propel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for all the info guys!