Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The 2012 Hobie Wave North American Championship will be held October 5th, 6th, and 7th out of the Rehoboth Bay Sailing Association in Dewey Beach, Delaware. The registration website is up and running at http://www.regattanetwork.com/event/5544 . Come on out and join us for three days of great racing.

Jim Doty

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

WOOOHOOOO Waves at Rehoboth, DE!!!! It's an AWESOME place to sail. I've done both 16 NA's Fleet 106/Div 11 hosted and THEY WERE SUPER!!!

GREAT group of people, GREAT place to sail, GREAT combo!!!

:D :D :D :D :D

Mimi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You go Girl...I know you'll pump it up !!! :D...I gonna check the calendar,...DE is a long way from La...and I want to do the Keys race in Dec.

will this be a Hobie rules regatta? meaning only Hobie sails?? Just wondering.

Mark Milam
Lafayette La.
wave #113.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:36 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yes, Hobie rules.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Are the races going to be in the ocean or the bay?

Thanks, Lee.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:55 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

In the bay.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Jim, thanks for the information.

I am considering the race. I have not raced formally since late 70's on 16s.

I am not far from you, in Gaithersburg, MD.
The Wave is in Ocean City, MD.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:13 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

We would love to see you out! The Wave is really becoming a popular boat to race. I expect to see a wide range of sailors for this event, from National Champs to newbies. RBSA always has great wind in early October. Don't know if you know Jim Glanden, but he will be there on his Wave. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jim

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Congratulations to Jim Glanden (DE) for winning big at Rehoboth, DE to become the Hobie Wave North American Championship for the second year in a row!

There were 13 Waves, that raced 10 races over 3 days. Jim won 8 of the 10 races, his worst was a 3rd!

Congrats to past Hobie Class Chairmen Chris Wessels (IA) for placing second and a big thank you to him for everything he's done to promote the class.

Judy Raybon (NJ) and Rico Quatrone (NY) tied for third, Judy won the tie breaker. Complete results at....

http://www.regattanetwork.com/clubmgmt/ ... how_crew=1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm a bit confused. Per this thread, the 2012 Hobie Wave North American Championship was held in Delaware in October. Per the Cat Sailor Magazine web site, the 2012 Hobie Wave National Championships (slightly different event titles) were held in Islamorada, Florida, from December 9-12, http://www.catsailor.com/waves/WaveNtls12Story.html

When comparing current Wave photos from the Hobie web site to photos from the Florida regatta, I notice that some of the sails in Florida appear to be cut differently. Admittedly, I haven't looked up the Wave class rules, but that hints at one group playing by HCA rules and another maybe not.

Does the Wave class have two national championships? Is perhaps one sanctioned by the NAHCA and the other not? What's going on here?

Thanks

H16 Seabreeze #112205 (Richard Petty Signature Edition)
H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:04 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

You have it exactly. The October event was the HCA-NA sanctioned/sponsored event.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow, that leads to more questions. 1) What organization sponsored the Florida "National Championships"? How is it that there are two different Wave "Championships", what's the history behind this? Does the non-NAHCA group play by Hobie class rules?

H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:19 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The Florida event was put on by the International Wave Class Association. Rick White is the driving force behind this group. I'm not all that familiar with the history, but I believe it grew out of Rick's use of the Wave in his sailing school. They do have their own set of rules, one of which allows for sails made by any sailmaker.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:42 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Excerpt from the minutes of the annual
Hobie Wave Association Meeting
December 4, 2008

The meeting was opened by Rick White, President of the Hobie Wave Association at 5:45 PM. 

<snip>

The second order of business was to discuss recent communication between the Hobie Class Association and Rick White from the Hobie Wave Association.  The high points were Rick White reciting a the story of how both Rick and his wife Mary Wells bought the first Wave and made the decision to contact Hobie with the proposition to start a competitive Wave racing.  As the story continued, we learned that Hobie supported Rick and Mary by shipping 30 boats to the Keys and the first Wave regatta was birthed.   After the event Sailing World did a two-page article with pictures of the boats on the beach and the Hobie Wave racing was kicked off as a legitimate event.  As time went on Hobie wanted the newly formed class to be sailed with Hobie stock product.  Rick explained how he disagreed and Hobie went their way and Rick started the Hobie Wave Association.  Years went by and the Hobie Wave Class now is one of the, if not the largest growing Hobie fleets in the nation to include organized fleets of 10 to 15 in Put-in bay, Indianapolis, Pensacola Fla., Nor’ Banks NC., Melbourne Fla., Tampa Bay Fla., Houston Texas, Sandy Hook NJ., and Key Largo Fla. Now the Hobie Cat Association has asked Rick to consider being a part of their national events.  These events would include the 2009 North American Championship November 8 – 13 at Lake Havasu, AZ., Midwinters East Are Championships held in Panama City, Florida March 27 – 29.  Rick is planning on putting an area on the Catsailor.com website to help promote this and give information for those that are interested in participating.

<snip>

In the last discussion of the meeting Rick White announced a new racing fleet within the Wave Class Regattas.  The newly formed fleet is going to be called the Silver Fleet.  This newly formed fleet has been formed to promote new sailors and to give new sailors a fun and fighting chance to compete within the current class regattas.  They will still be able to win awards for places won in the overall regatta as the master’s and women’s fleet currently do as well as win awards for places won in the silver fleet.

Meeting adjourned.

Now called the International Wave Class Association (IWCA), any maker sails, any maker tramps, tapered mainsheets, no minimum weight.
http://www.catsailor.com/waves/wave_const.html

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Doesn't having two Wave class associations undermine the one-design concept? With all due respect to Rick White, I agree with the Hobie Cat Co. that a one-design class sailed on stock boats is the best way to go. Otherwise, you can essentially start an arms race with expensive modifications, making racing, or at least being competitive, a more expensive proposition. I don't see how fracturing the Wave class can be good for anyone. Look at the example of the Hobie 18 class in the 80's and 90's: Standard Hobie 18, 18 SX, 18 Magnum. This was a big reason for the decline of the Hobie 18 fleets at Hobie regattas. I think Hobie has learned a lesson from that and I can understand their reluctance to go along with Rick's plan.

I'm not a Wave sailor, but I am interested in the class. My H14 is getting old, and looking down the road, I can see a point in time when I may replace it with another simple, single handed boat with a racing class. The Wave may be my next boat.

H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

Last edited by MVD on Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.