Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dragoon
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well, I have not posted here for a few years, as I transitioned from my H14 to my current H16. I am now sailing on the Boston Harbor with pretty steady and controllable winds. I have been looking for another H14 for my solo outings in stronger winds, as I missed the simplicity of my first Hobie. I found a 1993 H14, but I ended up missing the deal.

2 days later, and I am preparing to receive a Hobie Dragoon. On solo adventures, I am not sure when I will use the 16 vs the Dragoon, but I look forward to that "tough" decision.

The 16 will remain the obvious go to boat for sails with 2 adults.

Incredible deal...

1983 - H14
1985 - H16

Post subject: Re: Dragoon
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Interested to hear about your dragoon and see some pics of it in action. Congrats!

'95 H16 sail #101148
'89 H18 SX/ sail #1053 w/ Yellow hulls

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:00 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

i wish h usa made more fiberglass boats

1983 Hobie 16 Cat fever #55697
2008 Laser Radial/4.7 #190471
S.S.S.
S.Y.S.P

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

what is a Hobie Dragoon?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:57 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

A dragoon is a Hobie made in Europe...

http://hobiecatcentre.co.uk/index.php?m ... rmva238sm0

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The Dragoon is a nice boat to sail
Whe use them in our kids training program
Two kids on the cat or a kid with a adult

Has the same futures as a F18
But no daggerboards
The underwaterschip is like a Nacra 570

Here,s one on speed on our sailing spot

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1ptsdLa128&feature=related[/youtube]

And some info on our website

http://www.catclubzeeland.nl/page.php?10

470 sailnr NED 560 sold

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How did you get one in the US? Hobie Europe has a great lineup. Not sure why they don't sell them here. Hobie US seem to be moving toward kayaks and putting the Catamaran business on life support.

I live in NC a rapidly growing state with hundreds of miles of waterfront and several great kids sailing camps. Our nearest Hobiecat sailboat dealer 200 miles away and keeps no cats in stock and only a handful of parts. It takes weeks to get a new one and if you want to see it or try one before you write a check you are out of luck. I can drive across town and purchase a Hobie Kayak or go to one of many dealers near by.

I've had two friends purchase new Hobie Cats for their kids this summer and they were both shocked at the process. The dealer wouldn't even place the order without 100% payment upfront for a product he couldn't even demo. I'm a huge fan of hobie and have been doing my best to get kids and friends interested in sailing but I'm not sure how we can keep sailing alive with out better local support from Hobie US for our sport. (rant off)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The boat was imported with a few others by a sailing shop in San Diego. I know of 3 Dragoons in total in the US.

I agree that Hobie Eur has an incredible lineup of fiberglass boats. The number Of models that they have is overwhelming when examining their site. I was looking for an H14 imported from Eur, still made, but ended up with the Dragoon.

Hobie US is a completely separate company than Hobie Eur. I do not know the history or the current licensing agreement, but they are separate and unequal.

Now living in MA, it is a sad time for beach cats. I grew up in NJ, Margate, where there are 3 Hobie beaches with permanent cats within 2 miles of shoreline. Each barrier island had at least 1 cat beach. I have had no such luck finding this in MA, and I will keep this up on a floating dock, moored in the bay.

1983 - H14
1985 - H16

Last edited by jeffrey on Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sweet looking cat, I'd bite.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:18 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

jeffrey wrote:
Hobie US is a completely separate company than Hobie Eur. I do not know the history or the current licensing agreement, but they are separate and unequal.

In 1988, Coleman Co. sold the Hobie Cat Co., which included at that time the manufacturing facilities in France.

As part of that sale, the European component was split off - thus the genesis of what is now Hobie Cat Europe.

The market for fiberglass boats in North America is very, very small. A business plan of making boats you can't sell is unsustainable.

You want to make a million dollars in the boat building business? Start with 2 million (or more).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MBounds wrote:
jeffrey wrote:

In 1988, Coleman Co. sold the Hobie Cat Co., which included at that time the manufacturing facilities in France.

As part of that sale, the European component was split off - thus the genesis of what is now Hobie Cat Europe.

The market for fiberglass boats in North America is very, very small. A business plan of making boats you can't sell is unsustainable.

You want to make a million dollars in the boat building business? Start with 2 million (or more).

I know Catamarans aren't exactly selling like hotcakes, but if every hobiecat (even the rotomolded ones) in the US has to be special ordered it doesn't seem that hard to have a import deal set up on boats that are already manufactured in EU. You might have to wait a little while longer or pay more but there is no boat building involved, just import a few other models beyond the Wildcat. Dropping $12K on new 16 designed in 1969 is not that compelling when there are hundreds of old ones work just fine. If i could get something like a Dragoon, Pacific or a Tatoo I might consider an upgrade.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

She arrives in 2 weeks. I cannot wait:

2004 Dragoon
2 sets of main and jib sails: original + new square top
Assymetric spinnaker
Self tacking jib
Newer Tiger/Wild Cat mast base
New galvanized trailer

Less than 20 outings in total!

1983 - H14
1985 - H16

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jeffrey wrote:
She arrives in 2 weeks. I cannot wait:

2004 Dragoon
2 sets of main and jib sails: original + new square top
Assymetric spinnaker
Self tacking jib
Newer Tiger/Wild Cat mast base
New galvanized trailer

Less than 20 outings in total!

Lucky Man!

Keep us up to date. I'd love to see some action shots when you get her on the water.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MBounds wrote:

First.. I am still pretty wet behind the ears in comparison to many in the Hobie game... and Sailing in general.... and personally... Probably never the type of guy to buy things new.. even the things I wish to afford new I generally enjoy restoring.. and I am also generally kind of an idiot.

So my opinion on this may not be worth much...

But I have heard this argument I highlighted in Bold quite a damn bit... I understand what people are trying to say.. and they might very well be right..

but damn... "No market" Then frign create one.. How much of a Market was for these boats in 1975..... AND WHY???

It isn't like Hobie Cats don't turn heads on the lake... I promise there are more than a couple pictures of me and my antics taken by unknown fellow boaters floating around the web.... I know I can't be the only Hobie out there who draws a crowd every time the wind kicks up over 12mph...

Sail boats are not only "Green" they are "Extreme" if you know how to do it right...

NBC is putting Big Cats racing the America's Cup on TV... HEck.. We offer the chance to race with some of those sailors,(don't we??) having damn near as much (if not more fun) for a tiny fraction of the price... On the very boat which brought the beach cat to the masses in the first frign place...

How frign hard can that be to sell????

You guys almost make me want to figure out what is required to open a dealership just to prove you wrong...

:? :cry: :D :|

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ronholm wrote:
It isn't like Hobie Cats don't turn heads on the lake...

+1

If you don't think people are interested in Hobiecats go rig one on a beach sometime. I had mine out last week and could hardly get my sails up without people stopping to ask me all about my not-very-impressive 18 year-old boat with faded sails. All it takes is a quick ride out in the ocean to get people hooked. I could only imagine how much attention a Dragoon would get. (I'd sure be talking to the owner!) :D