Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 519 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 35  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:09 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

i am about to put the remaining balance of my second TI (2012 dune) on my credit card next week (had to return the 2010 previous TI) and would love to be able to purchase your modded TI but i live in annapolis and don't know how it would get from FL to MD¿

additionally, how likely is it that one of the 3000 sailing shops in annapolis could mod a TI by adding a furling jib and some small little fins/hydrofoils for a little extra lift to the underneath front of the TI hull? as much as i could probably do something myself i want an expert to do it, that way if it breaks they can fix it as well. is this unheard of?

i've been into the car modding scene for about 10 years and have modded a few myself but am new to the boat modding thing.

sorry to hear you are getting moved to the desert, any thoughts on how to get your boat to annapolis?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

rusty_sojah:

Unfortunately I sold the boat before Xmas, I thought I posted it on here (sorry)

As far as modifying the TI, on this thread I went into great detail on all the design information for all the components. The most important component will be the rear stay line. If you look carefully at the mast design, there is nothing supporting the mast from additional stress in the forward direction, so you really need to have that rear stay line anytime you add sails to the boat.

Take the boat to any of the sail shops and point them to this thread, they will easily understand everything and should be able to give you a price. Instead of a custom jib they might be able to retrofit a Wave or h14 or H16 jib (most places have old sails laying around). Here is a Wave jib for $218 bucks ( http://www.thesailstore.com/hobie-wave- ... p-398.html) that would probably work fine. The Gennaker sail is also pretty standard stuff, just look around for a G2 Gennaker or an Assymetric spinnaker, the furlers are just pvc tubing wrapped around the poles.

Here is a link for a jib for $228 and a spinnaker for $473, these are sails for a laser II, which I'm sure would work just fine on a TI. ( http://www.thesailstore.com/advanced_se ... mit=Search)

If you putting on a spinnaker you will need to add a bowsprit something similar to mine.

Good luck
Bob

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

[quote="fusioneng"]OK this is by popular demand, from forum users to show my Tandem Island mods.
I have around 500 miles on the boat to date with the mods and everything seems to work well in pretty much all conditions when used wisely (you don't raise the spinnaker in 4 ft waves and 25 knot winds (Duh). The Hydrofoils are not to raise the entire boat out of the water like those crazy Moth boats, but do serve the purpose of raising the boat just enough to keep my bottom dry, and keep the bow from nose diving (not fun in 60 deg water). The outboard motor is only for emergency use, for when I am 30 miles from my car and the wind dies, or the rudder breaks, and I am exhausted. I keep the boat on top of my car, and it takes around 35 minutes to unload off the car and setup by myself. I sail mostly around Sarasota, Florida and Key West, and am out pretty much every weekend on an adventure somewhere year round. I'm also an avid Scuba diver and love to combine my two hobbies. Here is a link to hi def pictures of the boat on photobucket http://s281.photobucket.com/albums/kk22 ... /?start=20. My only word of warning to anyone is don't do these mods unless you have a pretty good understanding of sailing, and engineering, because if done incorrectly you will exceed the design intent of the boat and it will break, and you could die (don't blame me). There is alot of rigging, that has never gotten tangled yet, but I keep a knife handy just in case. I'm happy to answer any questions, and will post some video one of these days (hard to video yourself).

"Good idea., I also keep one"!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

fusioneng wrote:
rusty_sojah:

Unfortunately I sold the boat before Xmas, I thought I posted it on here (sorry)

As far as modifying the TI, on this thread I went into great detail on all the design information for all the components. The most important component will be the rear stay line. If you look carefully at the mast design, there is nothing supporting the mast from additional stress in the forward direction, so you really need to have that rear stay line anytime you add sails to the boat.

Take the boat to any of the sail shops and point them to this thread, they will easily understand everything and should be able to give you a price. Instead of a custom jib they might be able to retrofit a Wave or h14 or H16 jib (most places have old sails laying around). Here is a Wave jib for $218 bucks ( http://www.thesailstore.com/hobie-wave- ... p-398.html) that would probably work fine. The Gennaker sail is also pretty standard stuff, just look around for a G2 Gennaker or an Assymetric spinnaker, the furlers are just pvc tubing wrapped around the poles.

Here is a link for a jib for $228 and a spinnaker for $473, these are sails for a laser II, which I'm sure would work just fine on a TI. ( http://www.thesailstore.com/advanced_se ... mit=Search)

If you putting on a spinnaker you will need to add a bowsprit something similar to mine.

Good luck
Bob

Fusioneng, I've got a question. Could someone use a spinnaker and reef it to use as a jib so you would only need one sail? Also, will this work on a AI? I'm assuming you would need a smaller sail, do you have a recommended size for a AI?

'11 Tarpon 160
'14 Pro Angler 12

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ripit :
I actually tried that with mine when I put the roto furler on, but my spinnaker is an assymetric spinnaker (the big puffy kind, that works like a parachute). When you furl it up it never gets to a spot where it even looks like a jib.

I have seen several Trimarans (like the Windrider 17) that instead of a furling Assemetric Spinnaker, they have what is called a screacher. Look on their web site at the photos flashing on the home page to see the screacher ( http://windrider.com/windrider_17.aspx).

Basically a screacher is like a giant jib that I assume works well in low winds from the side, and also can be let out and work as a spinnaker. It doesn't quite catch the air like a parachute the way a spinnaker does, but it actually has a much wider range use than a spinnaker. The G2 spinnakers are good from 90 to 270 degrees winds (downwind of course), where you are really fighting to keep it from collapsing at 90 degrees (not worth the effort trying, that's how you blow them). Where the furling screacher can probably work anywhere from 45 to 315 degrees, but it's probably struggleing at 45 degrees, and needs to be reefed in quite a bit I assume ( I have not used one but it's on my list of things to design and make). Because the sail on the AI and TI is mounted so far forward, you will almost have to make a bow sprit (like what I show earlier in this thread), to get enough space for air in between the sails.
The biggest use of my regular jib was to be able to point much higher up wind, I could still make headway almost straight into the wind with the main and jib pulled really tight. I doubt you would be able to do that with a partially furled screacher. I suspect the screachers are pretty much limited to a broad reach and downwind. I'm no expert on this stuff, perhaps a real sailer can chime in here and explain it better, or someone who has sailed a windrider 17 with the screacher.
Good luck

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I guess I may be the closest thing this forum has to a "real" multihull sailor, having owned a Corsair F-27 and sailed on a few others.

Our F-27 had a screacher and an asym spinnaker. Fusioneng is right about the differences. A spinnaker is cut to be more round. You can't pull it flat enough for upwind sailing without destroying the shape. A screacher is basically a giant jib that is cut to have some curve, but not as much as a spinnaker.

The screacher could be used to sail upwind in extremely light wind. It could not sail as high as the boat's regular jib, but if the wind was light enough the extra speed could make the sacrifice in angle worth it. The advantage went away once the wind came up above 5 knots or so.

Across the wind, it was a very powerful sail. They never let us race across the wind, so I almost never got to use it for that.

Downwind there was no good reason to use it. The spinnaker was better in all conditions I tried.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The ultimate Tandem Island II:

The last 6 months have been difficult for me not having my TI. I sold my old TI 6 months ago when I thought I was being transferred to Tempe, AZ (where there isn't much water in the desert I would guess). The new company doesn't look like they will be making any major changes in the near future so I went ahead and bought another TI. (same exact boat, same color and everything). I rigged my bow sprit, jib and spinnaker sails, I installed the 2 hp gas motor (for emergencies). last night, and am good to go again. Wouldn't you know it, there is not a puff of wind out today (Ugh). It's been a difficult 6 months for me since I was used to going out every single weekend. In a couple weeeks we will be down to our Key West place for a couple weeks, and am planning on doing much sailing and diving, hopefully every day weather permitting.

Here are some pics of my new ride.

From the back (notice the emergency gas motor, which has saved my butt on several occations)

Check out our diving ladder for when we are scuba diving ( on left AMA in back)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bob, welcome back to sailing! :)
We await your further adventures...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome back Bob ... can't say it wasn't expected though. They way you and your rig were connected it seemed like you'd be giving up an appendage

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:57 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Bob,

:o WOW :o
I can't believe what I'm seeing - what you've done is absolutely amazing Congratulations!

I don't think anyone has ever attempted three, (3) sails on a TI before. Is there such a boat as a one masted schooner :lol:.

I'd really like to come over, meet you and see your boat sometime.

Are you sure you really need that gasoline engine with all that sail though :P .

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sun E Sailor:
I had just finished rigging the new boat, and was checking everything when I snapped the pic.
I wouldn't normally open the jib when flying the spinnaker or visa versa. The spinnaker (spi) is for downwind (90 to 270) if you try to go higher into the wind it collapses (sometimes violently), thats usually how you blow them out. When flying the spinnaker I normally furl the mainsail in some then pull it tight (to help support the mast " a whole lot of pulling going on with a 130 sq ft spinnaker in 20-25 mph downwind") I have been up to 18mph plus on a good downwind run sailing out to Egmont Key ( it gets a little wavy going over the deep cruise ship channel though).

The jib is used mostly upwind to help me point closer to the wind, and gives me more speed on a reach.

Actually I only added the extra sails because the winds in Sarasota bay are too light most of the time ( < 5mph) especially in the summer.
Everything is on roto furlers so any of the sails only take a second or two to pull in or take out.

Hey that gas emergency motor has saved my bacon on many occations. Funny how I got it though. The first night out on my first TI (may 2010) was with my
wife near sunset (maiden trip with the boat only an hour old), well the wind
died while we were outside big pass in Sarasota bay (really bad currents), both my wife and I peddled for almost two hours to get back in. Needless to say I got a free pass on buying the emergency motor. A few weeks later me and my best friend went to go diving out at Cottrel Key (about 10 miles west of key west). The winds were coming from due east at 15 mph. Well my friend was driving (he's an expert sailer), he ran us aground into a shoal and broke the rudder. We found out quickly that you cannot sail at all without a rudder, so we motored back against the wind. I thanked my lucky stars that I had it.

I'm out in Sarasota bay most every weekend, I usually launch from City Island (right next to Sarasota Sailing squadron and Mote Marine ). I have sailed up to Egmont Key from there several times to go diving (about 22 miles each way), (it's easier to launch from Ft Desoto... I know).
We are probably going to spend the day at south Lido beach on Saturday unless we go scuba diving from the boat somewhere, nothing firm yet.
After this weekend we will likely be at the Key West house for the rest of the month though.
If you see this car it's me...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:49 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Fusioneng, it's great to see you back! :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

fusioneng wrote:
I'm out in Sarasota bay most every weekend, I usually launch from City Island (right next to Sarasota Sailing squadron and Mote Marine ). I have sailed up to Egmont Key from there several times to go diving (about 22 miles each way), (it's easier to launch from Ft Desoto... I know).

Fusioneng, I'm glad you're back in Sarasota with another modified TI. I'd also like to meet up with you sometime and get a closer look at your very cool TI modifications. I'm taking my AI to Michigan next week but maybe sometime in August.

Your downwind spinnaker speed is amazing. The rolling of the main for mast strength is something I never even considered. It really has me thinking. Do you have any pictures or video with your spinnaker deployed? Thanks,

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:08 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Bob,

OK.
Everyone is happy that you're back and so am I, but from the looks of things, it appears you get more accomplished when you're away 8) .

We have friends in Bradenton that we see occasionally. I'll send you a pm before our next trip to the west coast. Thank you again for all your input.

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

CaptnChaos:

Here is a small video from my Iphone (it's kind of hard to video yourself LOL).

This was my first time out with the new boat, and there wasn't any wind that day (maybe 3-4 mph). I certainly didn't get wet from any waves anyway (completely flat out there). Fortunately with all that sail area pretty much any light wind and I can go one to one with the wind in light winds. And upwind if I pull the mainsail and jib very tight, then pedal lightly I can actually go upwind faster than the wind in very light winds. It apparently creates it own aparent wind when pedaling lightly, I have never seen this before, it's fun to sail past the bigger boats sitting in irons, they always call out to me saying I'm cheating. If I have the sails up while pedaling I go 3 or 4 mph against the wind, with no sails, just pedaling I go maybe 1-2 mph. The boat is rigged for the light summer winds around here.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbaDml5VLgQ

Last edited by fusioneng on Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 519 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 35  Next