Hi from Sydney Australia, I'm a newbie who is planning to buy a tandem island for
myself & wife. We've got our sights set on a rig like that below, which is a tandem with
custom road trailer by Boeing (australia), offered by a Hobie dealer.
We plan to tow it with a toyota corolla (1800cc), which has
450kg unbraked tow cap. Rig below is about 280kg when loaded.
I would appreciate some objective comments, in particular:
1) robustness of this kind of trailer on longer journeys. I intend to take it up
the coast, possibly afew hours drive, on occasions. Also, it will regularly need
to go on 20min - 45 min journeys to get to water.
2) Given that the whole thing is about 20 feet long, how easy is it to turn these things
at normal road junctions with a small car ? Do you need to take an extra wide arc
to prevent it cutting corners ? I have never used a trailer before, and I'm alittle
nervious about having such a long one.
3) Does this trailer look suitably equipped ? Would it be worth having another
cradle at the bow ? I will be storing the TI on the trailer also.
4) How easy is it to launch the boat off a trailer with these cradles ?
Would I need another cradle at the back, and/or rollers ?
Would it be best to carry it to shore in pieces and assemble for launch there?
5) Any other trailers / trailer manufactures in Australia you would recommend ?http://members.iinet.net.au/~peterwalters/DSCF3909.JPGhttp://members.iinet.net.au/~peterwalters/DSCF3912.JPG
Thanks all for assistance