Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well i just got home from a long journey...I have currently been up for 32 hours. Worked my 10 hour shift last night and then drove a little ways to pick up an 84 18 magnum, so if i make no sense or am out of line in any way that is why. My name is Spencer and i am 28 years young. I have always had a desire to learn to sail.By chance any hobie gurus live in chattanooga, TN?

Well I got some TLC to do. Going to do a quick search on where to start after i get some sleep, but i really wanted to post on the forums! Say hi and what not.

Btw i hate to admit it but i must....I have zero experience with any of this. Any advice would be appreciated! Should have some pics up tomorrow after i try and clean it up a little. From what i could tell the hulls are solid. I put all my weight on the tops and no sign of delam or soft spots. Nor in any of the "Trouble" spots. But i am new to this so i could of easily overlooked something. Anyways i am now a hobie owner, and hope to have a lot of fun.

Spencer

Last edited by scgoobertn on Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: New hobie 18 owner!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:02 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Congrats on the new boat. I am in Rowell GA and sail on lake Lanier about 2hrs away if I can be of assistance. I don't get out as much as I would like but may could meet you to go over some rigging etc.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome to the club. Beers are in the fridge, help yourself. Your initiation requires both reading and doing, then repeat.

A good place to start reading is here: http://www.hcana.hobieclass.com/site/ho ... HobieU.pdf

If you don't have an assembly manual then go here: http://static.hobiecat.com/digital_asse ... Manual.pdf

You can learn the basics of sailing pretty quickly and have fun bombing around the lake but the details take much longer, and that challenge is what keeps sailing interesting. I hope it all works out for you.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:13 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Congrats and welcome!

I highly recommend
Catamaran Sailing from Start to Finish by Phil Berman

scgoobertn wrote:
I have zero experience with any of this.

This is what I've done as well. Prepare for a steep learning curve and some pain. You taking a shortcut into the cat sailing adventure -- good for you.

Just practice rigging your boat few times before you go. Make sure you have 2 people to help you rising mast for the first time. When you go, pick a day with a light air, 5 knots max.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Im awake! lol Wish i had taken someone to go pick it up with me so i could sleep while they drove. Anyways Cleaning it up a little right now. Thanks for the welcome and info! I Definantly will need help rigging for the first time. Anyways going to go snap a picture or 2 to post them.

Thanks again!
Spencer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just did what your doing now.There is a thread on here that has wind prediction web sights try to pick a day that's low wind like there saying.Sailing is different you have to know and respect the weather.When the wind picks up and your new and by yourself you really have a tiger by the tail.The book helped me a lot and I keep going back to it for reference.It's time well spent to find the most sail friendly marina in your area.A place to rig out of the way and open to the lake tight areas are tough starting out.Always watch for wires.I never have been able to get a mentor on the water but he helped me rigging that was a lot of help.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am hoping i am able to Start right next to my parents lake house (Wide open channel)

And here are a few pictures nothing special really but i wanted to post a picture.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Nothing special? Dude magnum wings, and a volvo 240 to tow with 8). Looks like a very nice boat.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

hahah glad you noticed the volvo 240dl :D thats my second one. Quick story had one when i was 16 (after my karmann ghia got stolen) hated how it was "Not cool" at my school so i tried to kill it by off roading and really driving the crap out of it. Put a ton of miles on it bringing it up to around 350k miles and sold it for 500 bucks when i bought my truck. Last year my trucks transmission took a dump so i started driving my 84 e30. A Month later my e30 caught on fire. I saw this volvo on craigslist for a grand, jumped all over it. 100k miles on it granny driven and full paperwork. I love this car. so anyways 12 years after owning my first volvo and trying to kill it, i bought another just like it same color, same interior, and same butt warmers. Oh, one more thing, should of seen the looks i was getting on my drive back. The hobie is a bit bigger then my volvo hahahahahaha.

Anyways back to the hobie.
I cleaned on the hulls a little today. Surprising they look fantastic so far. I mean there are a few nicks here and there and a few stains, but for the age of the boat it really is cleaning up nicely. Tomorrow after work i will try and work on the tramp a little. I would love to just buy all new but i am trying to keep myself on a budget. (even tho i dont have to i would like to be able to limit my toy buying funds so i can get my side business off sooner then later). I am keeping my budget around the first hobie i was looking at and since i got this one 500 cheaper i am gonna say i have about 500 to play with, but like i said i really dont know what really needs to be replaced or added. Any suggestions? Btw the tramp is slightly moldy but pressure washer was cleaning it up quiet well without any cleaners. Tramp has no tears on it but is a little bit out of shape maybe tightening the lace may help, i really dont know? I know i need to build cradles for the trailer but i will have to find a nice diy for that.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

kdj wrote:
really dont know what really needs to be replaced or added. Any suggestions?

If you don't know the age of your standing rigging, replace all, plus shrouds anchor pins. All standing rigging should be replaced every 5 years or so. Otherwise you risk demasting, which is not fun.

BTW, your boat looks great! What year is it? From the sail colors, it loos like mid 1980s.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That looks like a nice score. Nice bonus to have the rudder casting upgrade, and you're lucky the front cross bar has the reinforcement plate since the '84-'87 models' hulls are known to fail without the plate. Judging from those two it looks like the boat was well maintained and mostly needs some elbow grease, new lines, and bungee cords. Try using Bon Ami or Barkeepers Friend to clean the boat and sails instead of a power washer.

It looks like the previous owner either didn't know how to remove the traveler and main blocks from the rear cross bar or didn't bother. I like to store my traveler, blocks, and sheets in the cat box.

Lube the traveler track, mast luff track, and main sail luff with a good silicone spray or McLube.

If you have the pop off hatch covers they are known to leak through the rope handle and it is recommended to switch them with the screw covers. Just drill out the rivets and pop in some new ones sealed with silicone, and you'll need a pop rivet tool to do it, so get a good one with two long handles instead of the small ones at the local hardware store.

Another source of leaks is the rudder gudgeons and hull plug housings. If a hull takes on more than a cup of water after a day of sailing then try removing and re-sealing them first because they are the easiest to do. I used Life-Calk.

Check the tension on the bolts holding the hulls to the cross bars. You'll need a big Allen wrench for the inside ones.

Consider replacing the tramp lacing, and whether or not you do then get the lacing as tight as you can. Low stretch line is advised.

Learn how to drill out and replace rivets. It's not difficult and it tightens the boat as well as seals it from leaks.

If you have the money, time, aptitude, and desire then I encourage an upgrade to Hobie 20 Tiller Connectors.

Old rudder cam tension screws over many years of neglect can become one with the lower rudder casting, and if this is the case with your boat then search the forum for how to remove them. Jeremy at Surf City Racing has an instructional YouTube video for that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUUA7l6fzIk

Check the rudder cams for wear or slop, and replacing them is easy. Rudders should lock down and unlock smoothly. If you need to drill out the rivet holding them in place then be very careful not to drill into and widen the rudder casting hole.

That's all I can think of for now.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

@jackB Thanks! It is an 84. Owner bought it in 92 as a treat because he quiet smoking. Is there anywhere that sells a complete standing rigging kit?

@Skipshot Thanks! Again i am new, how do you tell the rudder casting was upgraded? About the reinforcement plates, i had read they where a problem without them and was curious if what i had was actually the right thing or if i happen to have been looking in the wrong spot haha. I really do think it was decently maintained, and as you said i would of been happier if he had unhooked the traveler and main blocks, but even tho most they look a little used and weathered they seemed to all function well, and he did give me a full can of silicone spray lol.

What type of metal rivets? i know different metals can cause issues.

thanks again you guys! I am super excited i think i got a fair deal on it. especially for its age it seems to be in good shape.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

scgoobertn wrote:
@Skipshot Thanks! Again i am new, how do you tell the rudder casting was upgraded?
The upper rudder casting is the new style that is also on the 17, 20, Tiger, and Wave that was introduced around 1987. The old style castings are proprietary to 18s and are available only second hand.

scgoobertn wrote:
What type of metal rivets? i know different metals can cause issues.
Aluminum for the hatch covers and mostly stainless steel or Monel for the rest. I forgot to mention to order a Hobie catalog from your Hobie dealer which has a complete parts diagram and list. Order a bunch of rivets as spares.

My dealer sold me the 4 oz. jar of Lanocote (http://www.twinsrecreation.com/Boat-Ant ... 70693.html) for connecting rivets and bolts. I can't compare it to anything else, but it works for me. Talk to your dealer about how to prevent corrosion and galvanization.

And I strongly recommend buying parts for your boat from Hobie. Hobie's prices, fit, and quality are tough to beat, and a dealer will also offer technical advice you can't get elsewhere.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The dagger boards should slide up and down in the well easily. When putting them down, all you should have to do is tilt the front of the board back a few inches and the board should drop down. The last few inches may require a shove to get the board all the way down. To pull them up, many people try to pull the handle straight up which brings the top of the board back and wedges the board into the well. You need to keep the leading edge of the board in line with the front of the well, so pull up and a little forward.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

scgoobertn wrote:
Is there anywhere that sells a complete standing rigging kit?

Best, if you locate a local Hobie dealer.

http://www.hobiecat.com/support/dealers/search/

Prices are all about the same everywhere, so you may as well support a Hobie dealer. I think, I saw a standing rigging set on sale somewhere, but this deal is likely over. If you don't have a Hobie dealer in a reasonable driving range, good bets are:
http://www.backyardboats.com
http://www.mariner-sails.com
http://www.saltydogmarine.com
http://www.murrays.com

Good luck