Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I bought a new main sail for my H17. Having trouble getting it to latch. One thing I've noticed: the halyard is too fine a rope to stay in the luff track - as I pull it, the portion of the halyard attached to the head of the sail will jump out of the track. Somehow this never caused problems with my old sail but think this may be an issue. I assume the halyard (again the portion moving upward) should stay in that track? No? Anyone know what diameter rope should be used if this is the case?
Thanks for the help!

Fleet 444

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:12 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Yes, the halyard should stay in the track, forward of the sail's bolt rope.

Newer sails (at least the OEM ones) have a Teflon-impregnated bolt rope cover that is more slippery - and can let the halyard escape out the track. Usually, this isn't a problem when raising the sail (assuming the halyard is fed through the center sheave at the base of the mast), but more when sailing, when the halyard escapes from inside the Comptip track when it flexes. Makes it really hard to get the sail down.

I used to have an Spectra halyard that in addition to being small diameter, was very slippery. It came out all the time.

I have since switched to a 4 mm Dacron/Spectra line that hasn't come out of the track yet.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

bock1 wrote:
I assume the halyard (again the portion moving upward) should stay in that track? No?

No. The portion of the halyard that shackles to the head of the sail, the portion moving upward, does not go in the luff track. Only the portion of the halyard which is moving downward goes inside the luff track.

sm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Oops. I think my question is should the downward going portion (not upward) stay in the track. Bottom line for me: both sections are out. Sounds like it's not supposed to do that. Thanks!

Fleet 444

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Can I ask you guys another question: If I replace the halyard, I know I'm supposed to tie some low profile knot to the ring shackle. Is there a particular type of knot? Sounds like bowline maybe not a good choice...? thanks again.

Fleet 444

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:48 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

There are several different knots you can tie.

Some people use a buntline hitch (http://www.animatedknots.com/buntline/i ... dknots.com)

But that still leaves the bulk of the knot outside the ring.

I use a combination of an overhand knot at the end of the halyard and a clove hitch. The overhand knot keeps the bitter end of the line from slipping through the clove hitch. This combination has almost zero bulk between the ring and the halyard sheave so you can get the maximum hoist.