Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:56 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Cork Guy wrote:
That said in addition to the Color Chart is there any info per size boat on Sail number per year. I'm trying to figure out it this 16 sail #44157 is a "78 Orange Crusher" or a "79 Nationals Orange" or something else???

For example were H16 sails #44,000 - 50,000 from a certain year???

Cork Guy
There are no records remaining of what sails numbers were used when. The only guides are dated photos from the time period and personal experience.

There were only a very few 79 Nationals Orange boats built. The sails would be identical to an "Orange Crusher" with the exception of the sail numbers. In general, the Nationals sails were sequential, with the numbers starting at XX001. Most Nationals had ~50 boats, so the numbers went from XX001 to XX050

If you look closely at the sail pattern chart, you'll notice that the Nationals boats have sail numbers. They are the actual sail numbers used for that event. The '79 Nationals boats used the sail numbers 52001 - 52050, so I can definitively say that sail is not one of the '79 Nationals ones.

Only some '78 and '79 sails had the extra large sail numbers (Orange Crusher was one).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:39 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

PurdueZach wrote:
I know that this would be a big decision on Hobie's part and maybe that isn't the direction they are wanting to head. This is just me talking, but I see Hobie focusing more on the rotomolded cats and kayaks much more than the fiberglass cats. If the goal is to bring another generation of sailors into the sport, then the fast, exhilarating, wet, and wild Hobie 16 needs to stay at the forefront. It seems to me that the Hobie 16 has been put on the back burner. If newer sail designs were offered, maybe more people would be interested in buying new boats and the Hobie 16 would become more popular again. Like I said, this is just how I see it. Just a little constructive criticism.

Well said! I really hope that Hobie reads these forums and listens... I couldn't agree more... Hobie needs to pick it up in this country. Hobie cat Europe are on the ball. The Hobie Youth scene is huge. They have so many really cool sail colors Europe that are vibrant and appealing - why are we stock with 2 or 3 color options?

I agree with Hobisrock... The new format for the Americas Cup is going to generate a lot of interest in cats and make cat sailing cool again. Hobie should jump at the opportunity and start marketing accordingly. When was the last time anybody saw an advert for a Hobie 16 in a magazine? When last were you on a website, when a Hobie Cat advert popped up?

There are so many ways to reach people now with the internet and with Facebook, it's just a case of having a plan and executing it... Come on Hobie - rise like the phoenix!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In a perfect world...

16's are great boats. I bought two new ones over the years along with a 20. I bought my first new 16 is '81. Out the door with trailer, harnesses, and a few other items was $1,700.

The problem these days is the entry price. 16s, and this is just the boat price, are around $10,000. Pretty steep for a young newbie. That also might explain why there are so many posters that are scrounging up '70's and '80's boats and trying to repair them.

The price level is not Hobie's fault. They have to pay through the nose for materials which never seem to drop in price.

The entry point for cats has been reduced with the rotomolded boats. The Wave is approximately half the price of a 16.

You ask if Hobie monitors these forums. Of course they do. But, they also pay very close attention to what's selling. If they flood their sales channels with 16s and they sit on a lot gathering dust because of the price, then the dealers won't buy any more boats and Hobie, eventually, won't make any more boats.

The market drives what's being offered. If all the restorers cracked open their wallets for a new 16 you might see a renewed interest by the factory in increasing their support.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:04 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

hobie1616 wrote:
16's are great boats. I bought two new ones over the years along with a 20. I bought my first new 16 is '81. Out the door with trailer, harnesses, and a few other items was $1,700.
You got a screaming deal on that boat. Even inflation adjusted, that's only $4,100.

My father bought our first 16 (no trailer) for $1,200 in 1973. That's $6,200 in inflation adjusted dollars.

The first 16 I bought myself was an '84, bought in the fall of '83 for $3,200 ($7,350 inflation-adjusted).

My latest 16 (a 2007) was bought for $7,500 in August of 2007.

The price has gone up, but not as much as you might expect.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MBounds wrote:
You got a screaming deal on that boat. Even inflation adjusted, that's only $4,100.

Totally! I bought it from a dealer in Foster City, CA. They were set up on one of the lagoons with a launch ramp and dry storage. Their primary business was small boats like Sabots and El Toros. They were trying to move up the food chain and were cutting some really good deals.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:50 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Bring back some of the old patterns!!! Sail color was what sold me on my '83 16 Tsunami. I know that in a shrinking market, there are economic considerations, but the sails seem to be getting more bland- throwback to the '70's?

Dave
'83 16 Tsunami
'82 14t Boomer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OK, I know this is an old post, but I can't seem to find the Hobie 16 Sail Pattern guide, and have been searching for 20 minutes. Anyone know where it can be found? That seems like it would be handy in the FAQ for the H16 (hint, hint!)

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Try this pdf file: The Ultimate Sail Pattern Guide from Hotline Mar/Apr 2006 pages 18-23.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwjd__-Q06bjAhWQmeAKHbQPAzoQFjAAegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.hobiecat.com%2F2010_archive%2Fsupport%2Fpdfs%2FSailColorHistory.pdf&usg=AOvVaw1rMkObd19lQPm7i9-7xeo4

87 H14T
Tortola Sails: 115222
Blue Prism Sails: 88863
Clearwater, FL