Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Towing with a TI
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am the proud owner of a new TI. I've also got a pair of sit-on-top ocean kayaks (Perception Tribe 11.5 and 13.5) and more kids than there is space to put them on the TI.

I am thinking about running a line off of the back of each ama every now and then and towing the two other kayaks behind the TI with a kid or two in each kayak (maybe 100 to 150 lbs. ea.). Has anyone tried something like this and would that be too much stress on the akas?

(My apologies in advance if I have mixed up my amas and akas).

Post subject: Re: Towing with a TI
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It may be easier if they just come up on each side of you in your TI and hold onto the rear aka (black metal bar). I've done that when I sailed my AI with a kayak paddle group to help the young or older members 'leap frog' the group so they didn't feel like they were holding the group back.

It was fun, but I did once dump one young couple in a 2-man when the girl in the front let go of one hand and the bow decided to go a different direction than the AI while sailing 4-5 mph. :o Oops.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Towing is good just for fun but don't drag somebody down wind(easy) with them expecting a ride back upwind(hard) you give up a whole lot of ability to sail into the wind with all the drag. For emergencies its great.
if you use the aka hanging method be sure hands are on top. Smashing between the aka and towed hull might be painful.
If you tow with a rope or line be sure the towee can let go if they lose control other wise you will be towing an empty kayak.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This past weekend I had the opportunity to tow my wife in her Outback after she ventured downwind too far and was having difficulty making headway upwind.

I used my bow line as a "V" attached to the rear Xbar and fed it into a spare pool noodle I keep stashed aboard - this kept it from fouling the rudder. I then attached about 75' of parachute coard to the "V" and slip-knotted it to my wifes' bowline.

We had to sail about 5 miles straight upwind and I did it in 6 looooong tacks. Winds were about 10-12 and I found I had to reef about 2 turns to re-gain good rudder authority - this must have been due to the added drag as normally I wouldn't have to reef at this point.

I was surprised at the pace we were able to make - I'd guess about 4mph which was much better than i had expected.

The real suprise was my wife, who has had no desire to sail, said how enjoyable it was. Now all I need is to arrange a demo on a TI

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks!

I am also thinking that a rope tied to the base of the aka might work too! It'll be a few weeks until I am in aposition to try it, but we'll see what happens!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I thought about tying to the base of the Aka where it enters the Ama but thought it might provide too much pressure on the rear Aka braces ... thats why I tied to the Xbar itself.

Of course too much pressure there could rip the Xbar mounts out but I figured if the heavy wind sailing I've put the AI through hasn't done that yet ...

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I tested the strength of my front crossbar out on Sunday when I was towed about 4-5 miles through reasonably rough seas at 7 knots, 25 metres behind a huge fishing trawler. My line went through a shackle attached to the TI's bow fitting and back to a bowline around the crossbar. It worked a treat, although at various stages I could see nothing of the TI in front of me but the mast, with everything else inside the huge mountain of foam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jerinaldi :
We have actually done quite a bit of towing with our Kayak and there are some things that work and other things that don't. You cannot lash the Kayak to the AKA crossbar without popping the nylon safety bold (been there done that). We did try tying a line to the front bow of both boats, then let the kayak ride next to the rear passenger (so they could talk), it only worked when we also tied to the AMA (the steel buckle on the ama), this kept the boat centered as long as the person in the kayak held onto the rear handle of the TI. However with only one boat in tow this way, it is pretty difficult to steer the TI. We have done it ok with Two hobies in tow (one on each side, two Revo's, what we call our party barge), this worked really nice as long as everyone pedaled. This way is great for getting to scuba diving sites, or Island hopping down in the keys with more than two people and tanks (basically 2 people and two tanks ea and we are at Max weight of the TI, it still sails suprisingly well though).
Basically anything you tow on one side or the other makes it impossible to steer properly while sailing, I think most people have a trailing line and the towed Kayak is directly behind 10 or 20 ft seems to work best (we use our anchor line). We have also just lashed a revo upside down in top one trampoline and the third passenger is on the other tramp. This is the most efficient (the least drag). Then when we get to the destination, off they go on their own.

Good luck
Bob