Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

On my 3rd trip out on my new PA14, I ran into a log below the surface I couldn't see because it was almost dark. The front mast on the mirage drive bent, and not just a little bit. The two fins wouldn't work because they were hitting together.

Is this very common or is a bent mast possibly a warranty issue since it is only a month old.

If not a warranty deal, how expensive are these pieces?

Would this piece be worth bending back straight or would it weaken the metal enough and bend again soon. I had an outback for 6 years and never had a problem. Maybe it's the turbo fins creating more speed and being longer.

Jeff

Old Outback - SOLD

It's called "Fishing" for a reason...Otherwise, it would be called "Catching"

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I bent both of my masts the very first time out on my PA (my fault as I went over the top of a boulder that was just below the water's surface). I ended up straightening them and keeping them for spares, bought two new masts and one new fin. I doubt if it is a warranty issue, but check with your dealer.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:31 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I bent & restraightened my mast in a vice...no problem. Poked holes thru fins also & patched up with the Tear Aid stuff Hobie has in the catalog & some marine goop. I run into a lot of oyster beds as tide changes....fins beat up pretty bad but still function like new.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A bent mast incurred by hitting an obstruction isn't likely to be covered by your warranty. A manufacturing or material defect sure, but not otherwise. There is nothing in the Hobie warranty that states that the MD is warranteed against damage incurred from running into underwater obstructions. That's not a defect - that's abuse (not that you intended to do it).

The good news is that you haven't done a great deal of damage. You can either straighten the mast in a vise, or buy a new one/s. It happens occasionally. As careful as I am, I ran my MD aground on sand today. Slightly bent one mast. I'll easily straighten it and be on my way again.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Got out the torch yesterday and clamped the mast in the vice and straightened it. We will see if it is weak enough to bend again with a tap or two in the near future. I also found a raft repair kit I had and cut a strip to patch the hole at the bottom of the fin. While at it, I went ahead and did the same strip on the other fin. And I put an additional piece of patch rubber around the bottom of the fin. I remember from my outback, the fin tips get the crap beat out of them running the river in low water areas. Hard to avoid sometimes.

I would post pics, but I haven't figured it out yet. Not as easy as on some other forums.

Jeff

Old Outback - SOLD

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

FWIW I would not have used a torch, not needed and it probably would change the metal's composition enough so that it may bend easier next time.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I used a torch becau the stainless is SOOO hard, there was no bending it back, especially without destroying the threads.

It's been my experience with metal, if it is bent, and I bend it back straight without any heat, it is forever weakened and will soon bend or break at that spot. But if heated, it can be straightened without having to deal with a very soon broken piece.

Just my .02

Old Outback - SOLD

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:32 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Use a clamp to hold it and a pipe to bend it back works great!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have bent my mast a few times now. I just use a vice and a 5 pound hammer. Works just fine. I also just goop the holes.

The last time I bent the masts, I hit a crab trap that was about a foot below the surface. It was storming and I was running from a water spout about 100 yards from me.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It will happen. I'll take some extra pins and split rings with me while fishing in the case I drop one in the boat. I can fix it on the water and get back to fishing. There are quite a few lakes that I fish that have trees just below the waterline that I can't see.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:20 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

The older ("V-1") non-threaded masts should be removed and straightened (vise or hammer). Otherwise you run the risk of splitting a sprocket. The newer threaded masts should be straightened on the Drive (without removal) or you may damage the threads. These are stronger sprockets and seem to take the straightening process in stride. Masts from the old stainless sprockets can be straightened in the Drive or removed.

I found a 3/8" galvanized pipe about 18" long to sleeve over the mast for straightening -- gives nice leverage and control; also helps keep the mast straight. Most people can just grab the mast and pull or push to straighten on the Drive (V-2 Drive) and that seems to work fine. Exact alignment is not critical, but can be determined by measuring the mast tips and bases -- should be equidistant when straight.

Masts do lose a little strength each time they bend and are straightened, but can usually take several minor or a few major bends. When they start to get easier to straighten then it's probably time to replace them. I would avoid heating a bent mast, as it can cause it to lose its temper. 8)