Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

In a strong gust on a lake the A frame ripped from the hull and bent when the mast fell. Is there a fix to attach a new A frame to the hull?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Need details. How did the frame rip away? Bolts sheared, inserts pulled out???

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The bolts did not sheer they pulled completely out of the hull taking the molded in anchors (nuts) with them and leaving two holes.
Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That is not repairable - you would need to get another hull.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ouch...that sux!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

What about making the hole bigger and using some kind of molly bolt?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That seems to be the best option, thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Have you got pictures of the damage?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Uncle Wakefield, remember us? Wife and I were the "sailors" when the Bravo A-Frame went TangoU.

To all others, to be certain, it was the left A-Frame arm hull mount point inserts that failed. And upon close inspection, the two hex head bolts that fix the A-Frame to the hull are intact. Both of the brass (I think) hull inserts fatigued and broke in their middle, right at the points where the hex head bolts ended inside the insert. Part of the inserts are still on the bolts - about one inch worth. If these inserts are indeed brass, then Hobie could consider an upgrade to stainless to ensure this high stress part does not fatigue to failure due to constant flexing. Alternatively, longer hex bolts that reach all the way through the inserts would also work to ensure the inserts are not flex stressed.

Looking at the hull were the inserts were, the outside insert hole is just slightly deformed at the top of the hole, possibly from the trajectory taken by the A-Frame arm/bolt/insert section on its way up and over during failure. Otherwise the hole is not deformed. Further, the insert hole is all the way through into the hull as one would expect. The other half of that insert has broken off and is more than likely inside the hull rolling around. While part of the insert did rip out with the screw, the "head" of the insert did not.

At the other hull insert hole closest to the center of the hull it appears to have not fallen into the hull, and instead, remains in the insert hole. This half-of-an insert remains in its original position. There is no hull damage around it.

It appeared to me that the hull integrity and hull mount points are ok. Thus the question is, can those inserts be replaced from the inside? And if they can be replaced, can Hobie or a repair shop do this, or is it a DIY project? One can imagine that if the area inside the hull, behind the A-Frame mount points, is accessible, the insert fix could be feasible. On the chance that there is no access to that area, then what is recommended to replace those inserts?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I sail quite a bid in the ocean, and the thought of this failure is a bit concerning. To Hobie (anyone) - would you suggest replacing the hex bolts with a longer lenght bolt to ensure the entire hull insert is in contact with the bolt? Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Does anyone have any further recommendations for replacing the busted hull inserts for the A-Frame other than a full hull replacement?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had this happen to me three times. The first time was the first day I had the bravo. The dealer that I bought it from replaced the hull for me. Then it happened again. And again. This is obviously a design flaw that the bravo has. It seems that they have corrected this flaw in later models, but I believe that since this is such a common problem, that can be really dangerous(these things are ticking time bombs) that Hobie should have staged a recall on all affected models to mitigate the issue.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:04 am 
Site Admin

This type of failure is rare. Multiples of the same are VERY strange. Over the years we have changes from aluminum inserts (corrosion), stainless (thread galling) and smaller fasteners to larger... all to increase the strength. I don't hear about failure much these days.

Three times? I'm interested in the conditions that you are sailing in... capsizing in?

Where do you sail and at what wind strength... body / crew weight?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Matt, can you please tell us when this change was made? I too sail exclusively in the ocean, so this is a bit concerning to me as well. My boat was made in 2009. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:18 am 
Site Admin

Last change to attachment hardware was many years ago... 2004 I believe.

5/16 - 18 bolts.

There could have been issues with brass inserts being thin at some point, but I have no record of when that was.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)