Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am in North Ireland and had a new Hobie Oasis delivered a month ago.

There are two dents in the hull just behind the rear MirageDrive cutout.

These dents correlate with a patch of rough plastic on the inside of the hull (it looks like this rough plastic has been sanded down at the Hobie factory)

When I raised this issue with shop in England (who then forwarded it to he Euro agent in Holland) they indicated that it was 'normal' and forwarded instructions on removing the dents using boiling water and pressure/rubbing inside the hull. I have tried this with multiple kettles of hot water. Once I get the plastic soft and flexible and rub HARD on the dents from the inside, the dents push out say about 50%. However, when I cool with cold water and wait about 5mins, the dent just reverts back to it's original shape. It appears to the be 'memory' of the plastic from manufacture.

I am now stuck between the dealer that says 'it's normal' and a hull with very noticeable dents that will affect resale values. Any potential buyer will quickly spot the dents, then feel inside the hull and find the rough plastic and just pass. Help!!

Looking towards the Stern

Looking towards the Bow

Last edited by andyoz on Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

You may want to put compressed air in the hull while pouring boiling water on the dent's then allow the hull to cool without the cold water on the hull.

I saw a video somewhere that appeared successful. Incidently, try to ensure that you store the kayak upside down vs. rightside up because the hull can deform on the underside whereas the rails topside are heavier/thicker and should eliminate deformation issues.

Fantastic kayak, I use mine solo almost exclusively. Congratulations.

2011 Oasis Ivory Dune

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've tried a few different methods to cool it but the video on Hobie website definitely says pour cold water.

The dents were present when the kayak was picked up from the dealer but I didn't spot them until an hour after driving away with it on the roof racks (transported on the rails hull side up). I only noticed them when I stopped the car to check the strap tightness and saw along the line of the hull at eye level.

The dents correlate with the plastic scars inside the hull.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Have you tried leaving out in the sunshine and let the sun's heat to the work? Work for me, but my dents are not as large. Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes, it has been out in sun (hull side up) for over a month now and no change in the dents.

What I am trying to get to the bottom of is - why do the dents align exactly with the bad plastic scaring inside the hull.

I just feel that the dents are part of the plastics 'memory' during manufacture and that they will never come out.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:01 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

It appears as though the distortions may have occurred when the hull came out of the mold or during the shrinking process as the boat cooled. I don't think there is a cure for that type of dent so in a way you're dealer is right.

Ripples on the hull are normal and the small bulge near the drivewell is not unusual. But if there is a notable dent or deformation in the hull, IMO that boat should be sold as a "second" or "blem" and marked as such. You should be able to submit a claim through your dealer. They may want additional photos documenting the depth and area of the deformation. Your dealer's input is important on this. If Hobie Holland feels that boiling water will take care of it, ask them to please take care of that for you. Otherwise, perhaps you can request a discount based on the deformed hull or exchange our boat for another? Even though this should have no effect on the performance or utility of the boat, if you didn't pay for a second you shouldn't get one. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes, that's been my conclusion after working hard on the dents.

The worst one is on the left hand side of the central hull in the first photo of my original post.

If you run you hand along the hull, it dips noticeably for about 12". There are few small dents in the side of the hull that look like normal moulding things but this one is a big and just too noticeable to me and anyone else that looks down the line of the upturned hull. You can see it clearly in both the photos.

I've attached another photo that shows how the worst of the plastic scar inside the hull has been rubbed down with sand paper or something to make it look less obvious. This photo was taken through the hatch located between the legs of someone seated in the rear seat. This sits its exactly over the hull dents.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Let us know what the outcome is... I recently bought a Revo 11 and it has a similar dent near the drive well on side.. inside it has a correlating bump. I didn't bother to complain as it has impacted me in any noticeably was thus far.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

DoubleOSeven wrote:
Let us know what the outcome is... I recently bought a Revo 11 and it has a similar dent near the drive well on side.. inside it has a correlating bump. I didn't bother to complain as it has impacted me in any noticeably was thus far.

It might impact you if you chose to sell it in a few years?
I don't think a buyers would pay the going rate.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:06 pm 
Site Admin

Some deformation is completely normal and unavoidable in roto-molding something as complex as these boats are. The "scaring" is a blob of plastic material that has been shaved down. That comes from the molding process. There is a vent where the hatches are later installed. The material builds up on the vent and commonly drips on the inside of the hull. There is not direct correlation to denting on the outside except that plastic shrinks during the cooling process. Thicker plastic may shrink at a different rate.

When the boats are removed from the molds, they can bend. That can cause some dents like these. In addition, handling, shipping and storage are possible causes.

As noted, contact your dealer. If you are not happy with it... they should be able to help.

Did you view the dent removal video?

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=35313

It takes more than sun to get a dent out.

Success Story:

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Matt,

Yes, I followed that video, the only difference is that I didn't have anything to pump air into the hull so used hand pressure from inside the hull. I managed to get the dent to move out about 50% after multiple kettles of boiling water but it justs goes back to same shape when I pour on cold water. It doesn't do that in the video...

I am in Ireland and the main dealer is in England so it's not a simple case of taking it to them and telling them to remove the dent. Everyone's telling me the dents normal but I am the only person that's seen it first hand and tried to remove it? I spent an hour working it with boiling water and it was no different at the end if it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:04 pm 
Site Admin

Say Hi to my boy! He is in Dublin visiting friends for a month this summer. Lucky bugger!

Try the constant pressure until cooled. That may do it. In the video they keep the area pressurized.

You can supply the same photos and information to the dealer and distributor via email if needed.

In any case... those dents are very minimal and will not effect the use of the kayak in any way. Have fun with it and deal with the dealer when you can, if needed.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Matt,

Tell your boy to watch out for the Irish pubs and women.

weather has been bad here so hope it improves for him...jetstream is sitting too far south over France

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:15 pm 
Site Admin

He just 14 and a half. What's the drinking age? :)

I also hear that the weather is bad a lot of the time!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Have you tried leaving out in the sunshine and let the sun's heat to the work? Work for me, but my dents are not as large