Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey all, just wanted to officially sign in and come out of the shadows. I've fallen for the love of sailing hard this spring and have already found my match in the Hobie Getaway. Now I just need to wait and watch for the right one to come up for sale somewhere near me!

Just wanted to say that this forum has been a great resource for me in my research and decision making. Hopefully I can become a good contributor as well. For the time being I'll be sailing on a sail-club owned Wave while I hope and pray that I can find a reasonably priced Getaway for myself and the family.

Great to "meet" you all!

Last edited by Macboy on Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Let us know where you are, and there's a good chance someone might ask you to go sailing with them. If you are anywhere near Shreveport, LA, I'd like to get you involved with Fleet 401. The "location" field in the profile is very useful.

H16 Seabreeze #112205 (Richard Petty Signature Edition)
H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the heads up - I've updated the profile.

I'm in the middle of land-locked prairies and not really close to many of the good recreational lakes up here (Alberta has a few either way north or more to the south). Still, if there are any Getaway sailors out here that would like a newbie crew I'd love to see the boat in person.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Welcome to a fellow Albertan Hobie Cat Sailor!

Personally, a great lake to sail is Calling Lake Alberta where back in 1980 my Dad bought a new Hobie 16 which the family still has the Hobie 16 up there. There is also a few other Hobies and SeaSprays up there - a 2010 Hobie 16, an older 18, a 1884 Hobie 16 to name a few.

My father was one of the early founders of the Calling Lake Sailing club and I served as commodore for a number of years. I have over the years taken my Hobie 18 and my Hobie 20 up to calling lake to sail. It is 2 hours north of Saint Albert on Highway 2.

I moved to San Jose California as a result of work and sail in Division 3 in Northern California but will probably be sailing at Calling Lake on the August long weekend this year.

Closer to Edmonton is Wabumum Lake (Wabumum Sailing Club) and the Cooking Lake Sailing Club sails out of Hastings Lake.

Good luck and good sailing

- Dwight

Hobie 20 #916 San Jose CA 2000 Alter Cup
Hobie 20 #16 San Jose CA (Jordan) 2000 Alter Cup
Hobie 18 #916 Santa Cruz CA 1989 Worlds Boat
Hobie 16 #16 San Jose CA (Jordan) 2005 Custom Main
Hobie 16 #54466 Calling Lake Alta Tequila sunrise

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Good to hear from you Dwight, thanks for saying hello.

I actually joined the Cooking Lake Sail Club about three years ago but not to sail - just to use their clubhouse in the winter months so my wife and little one had a warm place to stay while I went out kite-skiing. Fast forward a few years and the guys finally convinced me to get on a boat with them and take the ropes and, as you can see here I got hooked.

The club purchased a Wave last year for club member use and added another one just a month ago so I'm set to sail while I wait to find the Getaway which I could then haul to other lakes to play with. I'll be sure to check Calling Lake.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Are you sailing solo or will you be sailing with a crew?
Do you plan to try a few races?

Don't get me wrong, the Getaway is a great recreational boat but I have found that it is heavy - 390 lbs - almost as much as my Hobie 18 and Hobie 20 (420 lbs) and I like to go fast(er).

If you would like to go solo, I would look at a good used Hobie 17 as a fun alternative. (~ 330 lbs). The Hobie 16 (320 lbs) is also a good boat - same length as the Getaway - with more performance. If you are on the larger size such as my self (Over 200 lbs) and sail with a crew, the Hobie 18 is a great all around boat. I even helped a buddy of mine (Jeff Riddle) buy a used Hobie 18 in Santa Cruz which is up at Calling Lake that I even take out from time to time.

Regardless, you have come to the right place where the fellow Hobie Sailors will offer advice and opinions and help to get you started sailing Hobies.

- Dwight

Hobie 20 #916 San Jose CA 2000 Alter Cup
Hobie 20 #16 San Jose CA (Jordan) 2000 Alter Cup
Hobie 18 #916 Santa Cruz CA 1989 Worlds Boat
Hobie 16 #16 San Jose CA (Jordan) 2005 Custom Main
Hobie 16 #54466 Calling Lake Alta Tequila sunrise

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi and welcome to the forum.

A couple of Getaways near you:

http://kelowna.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-boats-watercraft-sailboats-Hobie-Gateway-W0QQAdIdZ397186705

http://kelowna.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicle ... Z396460520

I've found used Getaways nearly as expensive as a new one. There is a Hobie dealer in Calgary if you decide to go for a new boat.

Jack

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

GREAT to see such an active forum! I'm a powerkiter as well and have found a similarly active kite forum that's become a second home for me. I have a feeling I've jut found a third.

The world moves ridiculously fast it seems. Got a call froma friend today who was/is also looking for a boat and we chatted about going in together on a Getaway if he felt it suited him. Needles to say the offer is in on an '06 and the boat should be picked up this weekend! Hooray! Man.....you really gotta be careful what you wish for some times don't you?

Prepare for questions aplenty! (And thanks for all the advice and welcomes thus far).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome from Saskatchewan, I traded in my 16 for a getaway in 2006, yes its a little slower than the 16 but way more versatile. I sail at both gull lake and sylvan lake as my mother lives in Lacombe and I trailer my boat there for a week every summer.