Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rigging Question ?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I asked in my into post but got no replies so -

Is there a preferred order of raising the mast on my Wave that will let me easily get the tension I need on the forward and side stays?

I am rigging alone most of the time ans even with help I would not call it easy. I am able to get the third hole up front and third on each side, but it still seems too slack, especially if the wind drops off And the waves are still kicking. I get enough slop that I am concerned that it is putting too much stress on the attach points on the hull from the side stays.

I don't have the forward mast carrier nor a easy stepper or whatever it is called.

The best approach I have used so far is to put the sides at one hole, raise the mast and get the third hole on the front. Then, pull the up haul toward one side and get the third hole, repeat for the second side.

I think if I could get the fourth hole on the sides it might be tight enough, but I can't quite make it.

Are there any other methods that make this easier? I haven't tried it, and I don't really like the thought, but either on shore or underway it would be real easy to get the next hole on the lee shroud. Scares me too much while underway and definitely NOT a one person job. Trying this on shore or on the trailer is not much more appealing. I can just see things getting out of hand...

Thanks,

Jim

Post subject: Re: Rigging Question ?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:38 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

RVJim wrote:
I asked in my into post but got no replies so -

Is there a preferred order of raising the mast on my Wave that will let me easily get the tension I need on the forward and side stays?

I am rigging alone most of the time ans even with help I would not call it easy. I am able to get the third hole up front and third on each side, but it still seems too slack, especially if the wind drops off And the waves are still kicking. I get enough slop that I am concerned that it is putting too much stress on the attach points on the hull from the side stays.

Thanks,

Jim

There's your trouble......You don't want the rig to be tight. It should have enough looseness so when you grasp a shroud, you can turn your hand 90 degrees.

That is the basic racing tension. For day sailing you can tighten it up a little , but never so tight you can't easily put the pin in without straining yourself.

Now go have fun.

Wave #100
H20 #287 "Tallahassee Lassie" (down in FLA)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yup should be a lil sloppy. You could run your main halyard through a bow tang or to your trailer tounge to lever the mast forward to make it easier to pin lower on the forestay (also a good way to solo mast raise)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you're bouncing around in powerboat chop and the rig starts jerking, just grab the nearest shroud and pull tight till the waves pass.

This is a tough little boat! You're not going to hurt it by sailing it.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

hobiesrock wrote:
Yup should be a lil sloppy. You could run your main halyard through a bow tang or to your trailer tounge to lever the mast forward to make it easier to pin lower on the forestay (also a good way to solo mast raise)

Hey Bud
The previous post that mentioned that a bit of slop is on the money.
I bought my 2011 Wave locally race tuned and it still has slop in it. Considering that this boat comes with a rotating mast, you don't want to have it 'twang' tight or the fittings will take a sheit kinkin' and eventually cause you a possible dismasting (due to the constant stress of working on the rivets that keep your three shrouds to hold up your rig).
Good winds
Tri