Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great! I think the subject deserves being fully investigated to minimise the chances of our losing one of the Hobie community because there was no proven plan B or C.

I am ordering the parts tomorrow, so should have mods completed and photographed by the weekend

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Newsflash!
It was all my fault! I have now had it confirmed that I stupidly left the rudder in the water after the control line broke.. I recall that when being towed back to shore behind the huge fishing trawler, the TI wanted to sit about 10 feet to the right in the trawler's wake, so I now believe that the rudder blade sat at an angle which helped me correct weather helm on port tack, but caused me to constantly round up on starboard.

That all makes sense to me! So the minute Hobie has replaced the control line, I will get back on the water and confirm that with the rudder raised, I CAN effectively sail the TI using the paddle as a rudder, as have thousands of Polynesians before me :).

Of course I will continue with my external emergency control lines, as having that back-up system as well can't be a bad thing....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

A good emergency steering system is to strap or tie one of your paddles to the aka with a bungee cord or line. This serves as your rudder.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Except if you don't first raise the disabled rudder so it cannot be applying turning force as happened to me....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Let's face it, things rarely break down when you're out there just lolly gaging around :roll: .

I think having a spare paddle is a great idea for all the reasons being discussed here. If I ever lost rudder control I'd want something to replace it with quickly and easily! Using a kayak paddle as a rudder though is difficult because it has a curved blade.

I put together a paddle from an old canoe paddle which has a flat blade and much easier to use. It measures 6' long and has a straight, "T" handle made from 3/4" pvc fittings . I also filled the aluminium tubes with spray foam insulation so it will float. I've used it on many occasions, in strong winds and without an oarlock. It's the only paddle on my boat. Other than the shape of the blade, I think what makes this work as a rudder is it's length. I can easily hold it against the side of the boat with enough of the blade far enough back in the water to successfully steer with.

In the Inter coastal Waterway we have shallow areas called "The Flats". Depending on the tide, there can be only 1-2 ft of water out there, or sometimes none at all. From a distance these areas are pretty easy to spot when you see Egrets walking around :? but sometimes just a few yards away, there can be just enough water for my TI to sail over - (If I have nothing sticking down).

If things start to get skinny I'll keep a close eye on my dagger board. When it begins to nudge forward, I'll uncleat my rudder's down line and move myself forward to get some weight off the stern. If my dagger board goes forward any more, I'll slide it completely up inside the boat and pull my rudder completely out of the water. I'll then grab my paddle, move back to my seat and keep sailing - but now I'm using my paddle, not the rudder, to control the direction of my boat. Quick and easy :wink:.

2014 Tandem Island