Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I still can't believe it - it's like a bad dream! We just finished a great day of sailing - flying at an easy 15 - 17 knots.

We made it back into the marina with no problems, but when we were hoisting it out of the water, our bridle failed, our boat dropped 6 feet into the water, snapping our mast right in half!

Everything else on the boat is find - just the mast - not the comp tip (which we had to replace 3 years ago), but the metal part.

Any suggestions on what we can do to either repair it or replace it?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If you know someone who works with stainless steel, there's a possible solution. Years ago, we broke a Soling mast in Argentina, and it was impossible to import one, so we had a stainless steel "sleeve" with the shape of the mast made, cut off the broken part and riveted the sleeve over the mast. The boat was still competitive after that, and in any case you don't care about a couple of extra pounds. (Or the mast being a couple of inches shorter.)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you Mcgyver, Believe it or not I took a mast off a Hobie 18 trimmed down the slot and put it inside our 21sc mast and it fit perfectly, had the mast welded and put another piece (2' long) over the repair and used stainless steel rivots. In my opinion seems stronger then the original. The break was about 5' feet up from the mast base. I have many pics if I can figure out how to post some of them.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

bkeenan

Do you still have the inside dimensions for your 21 mast. I have an SE with a dent in the mast. I want to sleeve the mast and if an 18 mast will do the trick then I am in business.

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Bob a 21sc mast is 3" wide by 6" deep and a hobie 18 mast is 3" wide by 5" deep, some of the slot needs to be trimmed off and it will fit in the SC mast, Matt and I are putting some pics together to explain how I repaired it, I'm not sure if the SE mast is the same width and depth, I think it is but just longer by 4'

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What happened with this repair? I'm interested in the pics of how it was fixed or if it was replaced.