Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm looking to possibly be getting my first boat when the season dies down in the next few months. I'm moving to Pensacola Florida (my homeland) and am finally going to take the plunge on getting a boat.

I'm essentially looking for recommendations for what type of boat to get that my wife (who isn't exactly aquatica-friendly) and possibly 1-2 other people could go out on. Mostly we'd run day trips across the bay to the beach, or down to some of the other beach heads around the area.

I'd like to think a Hobie 16 would fit the bill. They seem to be recommended a lot here. I'd like something I can handle myself on occasion as well though. I'm 5'10" 170lbs, so it'd need to be something I can right on my own. Essentially, when the wife doesn't want to go I want something that I can zip around on on my own. (I'm trying to talk a couple friends into getting boats of their own, we're all water friendly people that scuba dive from time to time) At the same time, if she and her friends want to go out for 4th of July / Blue angels or just a day trip on the weekend, I want something that has enough space to stash a small cooler with the necessities, and can get from point A to B in a decent time frame without having to fly one pontoon too much...

I'm new to all of this, and am looking for any suggestions. My price range will probably hover in the 1.5-3k range w/ trailer so I'm not looking for anything fancy.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I gotta say, I absolutely LOVE my H18. It was not my first boat but, it fits the bill for everything you describe. Yes, it is a bit more to handle single handed, but nothing that can not be done. We have quite a few Single handed H18s in our fleet www.hobiefleet48.org. The 16 can easily handle 2 people, but 3 adults gets a bit on the crowded side.

Good luck and find somebody that knows Hobies to go look with you.

Sam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Welcome to sailing and to hobie's

I would definitely say the Hobie 18. Banzilla hit in on the head about 3 adults getting crowded. It sounds like you have a lot of friends that would be willing to go out on the 18, so the majority of the time you will have a crew and can really test the limits and fly a hull. On the occasions that you are crew less, you can still have a blast on the 18. I primarily sail solo, I know a few others do as well. You can still test the limits but just have to ease back when flying a hull at times if you do not have any righting aids (pole) because at 170 you wont be able to right with just a line.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

He will need righting aids to get either a 16 or an 18 up... Not a big deal...

The 18 holds more weight.. and IMO is easier to handle solo when things kick up.. The little extra weight combined with all the little things you can do to flatten the main make it easier to control solo..
The jib Cars on an 18 are easier to travel solo if the 16 hasn't been upgraded... Getting in and out on the wire is easier.. Ect ect ect... Not to mention.. Just furl the jib when things start to get real bad.. The extra waterline length and hull shape also make it much easier to really drive hard in big water/wind.... It is MUCH smoother....

But there is something so fun about the 16.. all the 16's 'bad habits' make it fun and challenging to master .. It is just a great boat.. Much as I love my 18.. I sprung for a newer 16... and the 18 hasn't touched the water yet this year...

I say get one of each :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Congrats and Welcome !!!

If you are going to get a Sailboat, and if you are the kind that want to go boating very often, try to find a place where you can leave your Sailboat with the mast up. Raising the mast is not really that dificult, but after doing it every weekend you will eventually get tired of that.

If you get a Hobie Cat, you will have A LOT OF FUN !!!!
If you get a Powerboat, you will also have lots of fun !!!
Whatever you get, you will have fun, it`s all in the Attitude !!!

Anywho, we are here to help if you have questions.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There are tons of catsailors in that area that can help you with your learning curve and boat buying intelligence. I'd recommend that you get to know the local sailors and see what the different boats are like before purchasing. Some models can be rented at Key Sailing in Pensacola Beach (http://www.keysailing.com/). That said, any 16-18 foot cat will likely fit the bill. I adds to the fun if you and your friends can get the same models. If you have intention to launch gulfside, a boardless boat is easier to deal with in the surf. Doesn't sound like you're interested in all out speed or racing, so I wouldn't rule out the Getaway (may be hard to find in your price range). You will need an aid to right solo on any 16+ foot cat.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Get the best boat you can. Your budget should get you a nice complete boat.
A good 16 will be better than an OK 18.
A good 18 will be better than an OK 16.

Getting 3 of your 4 wants/needs is easy. The 4th could be a stretch.
Choose 3 of the 4: new sailor, budget, solo, 4 people.
A getaway fits new sailor with 3-4 people, but maybe not your budget.
A 16 fits your budget, a new sailor, but not 4 people well.
A 18 fits your budget, 4 people, but an extra 100 pounds of boat is a lot solo/new.

I like 16’s because strong fleets, super fun solo or with crew, and easy to rig.
18’s are great with a crew of 2+.

Shop with a knowledgeable hobie sailor.
Join the local fleet, and get the same/popular boat in the fleet. Social sailing is more fun.
Don’t get hulls with soft spots, unless it is “free” and you got time to fix.

Lastly, any sailable Hobie will be better than no Hobie.

-Blair
Fixed 1980 16 hull with soft spots that was given to me.
16’s, couple years sailing, age 34, male

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Forgot to tell you this. Do not buy until you have sailed with a good experienced sailor, on the same type of boat you are considering to buy. Once you try it, you may not like it at all. Half the people I give rides on my H16, get scared or do not enjoy it at all. Perhaps a few get actually hooked on the sport, so do not spend a penny before you try it and spend time on it.
If you really like it, be prepared to deal with the adiction it will cause you !!!
I want to sail every freaking day, I LOVE THIS LITTLE BOAT. The feeling of moving with the power of the wind is like flying on heaven. But if I want to be a good honest friend, I have to remind you that sailing is not for everyone, you must try it first, either you fall in love, or you will quickly loose interest.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I also have both a 16 and an 18, and Love them both. They are 2 entirely different animals!!!!!! The 16 is like an early model muscle car quick, unruly where the 18 is more like a Cadillac SRS Powerful, Fast and quite a bit more stable.

Do not discount sailing because you did not have an awesome time your first time out. Go out several times on different boats and with different sailors.

Some say if your not bleeding your not sailing hard enough others will not go out in the higher winds. You have to find out for your self.

I personally try not to go home unless I have at least one new bruise or cut.

But, I would agree with Johnny, do not spend any money until you try it a few times, unless you have been sailing and know you want to do it.

Welcome to the addiction.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for all the replies guys! I've been on vacation (to Pensacola for a wedding, we're moving next month) since the 17th so haven't been checking the site since then.

It sounds like an H18 would be more up my alley. My friend and I went to Key Sailing (I used to only go there to rent wave-runners) and checked out the Wave's and the Getaway's.

The Wave was quite a bit smaller than I had pictured it after looking online, even the Getaway was smaller than I imagined, but we ended up renting a Getaway. He is an experienced sailor on all types of sailboats and instantly dismissed the Wave, so we went with the Getaway.

Both of us have been friends for about 15 years, and are avid speed enthusaists. I think after about 30 minutes on the Getaway we were both ready for something a little more sporty(if that's the right word). He mainly sails single hulls, or large cats. Neither of us had been on a Hobie sized boat for probably 12 years.

I have no clue what the winds were like, it was enough to maybe get one hull out of the water(a few inches) for 3-5 seconds at a time, but we still weren't going fast. There was a lot of of chop in the bay that day (there were a lot of storms) and the chop felt like it slowed the boat down considerably.

That said, your recommendations of an H18 have me wondering if I can find one that's in sailing shape for ~3k? I've seen only one 18 come up on craigslist in my area in the last month, the 16's seem much easier to find. I suppose I'll be looking to buy mid-winter though, maybe I'll get lucky when people aren't out sailing as much due to the cold.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:48 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You can get a very nice H18 for <$3K. I got my 1983 H18 a few years ago for $1500 and I have spent <$500 on it in the last 2 yrs and it is in great shape. There are more 16's around but the H18's are out there. I really like the wings if you can find a boat with them on it, they make the sailing much more comfortable and I think easier to sail single handed as you have the moment arm like a trap but not the hassles.

Good luck finding the boat and good sailing!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm curious to know the reasons as to why your friend so immediately dismissed the Wave. As he was an experienced sailor, the size and lack of jib probably did not appeal to him at all. (not a real boat.....) However, for a beginner sailor such as yourself, it might be just the thing to own for a year or two and then trade up. Much easier to solo and to spend your first first year learning about the wind without a jib to worry about (once you get used to tacking it) and much easier to right on your own without worrying about forgetting your righting bag.

Just a thought. I'm a decent sailor but I'm a newb myself to catamarans so I'm asking out of curiosity, not out of argument.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I think it was more of a personality choice. We've practically grown up together and are always quick to learn new things, especially together. I think he wanted to show me something more difficult right off the bat.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

GET A WAVE DUDE - ITS RADICAL