Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

After a few times out, I realized the seat wasn't going to be very easy to get up and down frequently.  Also, I couldn't get to the two straps that hold down the lid on the compartment just below and in front of the seat. The factory mounting holes should have been back another inch.  I also didn't want to spend a bunch on some of the other slides people have shown on their threads.

I raised the seat 4" and moved it back 3"-4". Took it out fishing last weekend and loved it.  It is much easier to get in and out of bost when dealing with low water situations or getting out to fish an area for wading.  

Used 2x4 aluminum tubing.  I cut 4 pieces 4" long. Drilled holes on the right places. Eased the sharp edges a bit with a sander.  

Down side is I can't get the seat brackets on and off without using some tools, but with it up 4", I haven't seen the need to take it off. 

(I've gotta say, posting pics on this forum is a real PITA.  Especially on an iPad.  Sure wish there was an app for this forum!  Is ther an easier way than copying the img link from photobucket?)

Old Outback - SOLD

It's called "Fishing" for a reason...Otherwise, it would be called "Catching"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

How do you feel the additional 4" affected your pedaling experience? ie. more or less comfortable, about the same? How about seated stability?
Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I bet he loves his as much as I do mine. Mine is raised just over 3" (I used sections of a 2x4) as you can see in my thread on it.

I've had it out several times, including today, and the mod is fabulous. It's MUCH easier to get up when you need to, everything is still in easy reach, there's a lot more storage room under the seat, and best of all, my leg angle to the pedals is greatly improved and much more comfortable.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

what he said... I do love it. pedaling position is much easier and comfortable. I am 6'2'' with 32-34 inseam. Much more comfortable. Stability -- haven't had any issues. but then again, I am in a river situation without the tides and winds some of the salt water guys deal with.
Jeff

Old Outback - SOLD

It's called "Fishing" for a reason...Otherwise, it would be called "Catching"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The great thing about the PA 12 is the fact you can raise the seat 5" without any modifications. To get back to your original questions, I find that the raised seat is far more comfortable and having the pedals at a lower position makes for an easier pedal motion. Stability has not been a problem so far.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

nice mod to the seat!
as far as posting pics on this site, Photobucket can be your best friend for that :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:27 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Already posted about doing this as a new thread. I did search at home before going to work but didn't read the very last page of the search results. Now that I have more time on my hands I found this post and have just one question. What if you added the spacer between the plastic seat and the upper framework, leaving the lower frame work to work as it is to install and remove from the boat? Like add a 3" piece of 8" X 10" of laminated ply/HDPE board etc.? Only real difference I can see is that the raise would not be all vertical it would both raise and shift aft some because that upper frame member is an a slight back angle. See pic below...you would need to remove the bottom mesh to get these 4 bolts out.