Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Looking for some boat ramps- free preferably, in MA on the ocean. Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

trying to get out there this weekend if anyone knows of some good places!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Decent free ramp/gravely stone beach flat on Morrissey blvd near umass boston that pwc's put in, i checked it out this morning seems okay for my ford fusion i tow with. Its a short sail away from the harbor islands and its pretty nice.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Snipatuit pond in rochester has hidden rocks. I mulched up my dagger board last weekend hooked up on a close reach. Thought i was going to pitch pole. And the ramp is a pain to trip the mast single handed lots of trees. But being surrounded by flat cranberry bogs the wind is very consistant, directional and strong. It would be nice to take the kayak to and mark rocks and a pole saw to tree trim the ramp.

Peters pond in sandwich ma, good ramp for mast tripping, bad pond to sail, funky winds, never consistantly from one direction. Too narrow. Barely get the sails set before its time to tack.

Next update is mashpee-wakeby in the mashpee/sandwich area and then Massapog in sharon Ma.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

It's only a year or so late but I've been putting in at the boat ramp in Newburyport by Joppa Flats. It's free and gains nice access to the Merrimack and beyond. I haven't quite had the guts to try the mouth as it is a bit of a tack to get back in and it can have rogue waves. At any rate, there is also the potential of beach launches off of Plum Island. I did it once a couple of years ago when I first got the 16.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Does anybody have any other suggestions for places to sail with public access? Primarily looking for north of Boston or the northern part of the Cape.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've successfully launched out of the Winthrop boat ramp:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Winth ... 14a0f0a2e2

The sandy area off Morrissey Blvd south of UMass Boston:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/584+W ... a08d49f356

You'll need look a tad bit south of the Yacht club, if you turn on Earth/Satellite layer you can see where the boats back down. Note: this location has a lot of sand and a TON of rocks. We stepped the mast and raised the sails on the trailer before backing down into the water, else you'll be scraping on the rocks the whole way if you try to drop the boat first and drag it in. I much prefer launching out of Winthrop.

Check out the Boston harbor islands if you launch out of either of these locations.

As far as the Cape, one of the sites I LOVE launching on inland is the Great Herring Pond in Bourne, MA:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Great ... 51d981f845

I just found this location last week and the lake is usually pretty sparse because most people that want to be in the water are 2-3 miles down the road at the beach. The water is beautifully warm and very calm. Also being so close to the shore you get some good wind.