Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Maintenance
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I currently fish out of a Native Ultimate 14.5 paddle version. I have had my eye on a pro angler14 for a long time. My concerns are about mechanical breakdown. Have any of you had issues with the mirage drive, steering controls, or rudder? Is mirage drive maintenance a complicated procedure or is it even necessary? I like to keep things simple and am not very mechanically inclined which is why I have hesitated this long to get one. With my ultimate I just grab a paddle and go. No maintenance and no risk of breakdown. I would love to get some feedback from actual owners on this topic. Thank you in advance.

Post subject: Re: Maintenance
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I bought my PA in March of this year and have averaged having it in the water at least once a week. There have been a few occaisions where I have had it out several times a week.

The rudder and steering have never experienced any issues. The only maintenance I can think of in this area would be to just inspect the components for any wear and tear. None so far.

I rinse off the Mirage Drive after every outing...even in freshwater fishing. After it has dried off I spray a little WD-40 over the chain mechanism. There are 2 small split rings near the top of the fins. I replaced one because it became a little frayed. That could have been caused by something underwater catching it somehow. Other than that...no issues at all.

I have yet to bend a shaft or have any tears or issues with the fins themselves. I'm sure conditions and the environment where the PA is used might impact the wear and tear on the drive. I have also fished saltwater several times. I do have a fishfinder that is always on so I can watch the bottom so if I get into skinny water (under 2 feet), I can start thinking of feathering the stroke so I don't hit the bottom.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Have used a Mirage Drive on two different Hobies for over 3 years now. All has been saltwater use. Have only had one failure during the entire time. One of the chains broke two miles from the launch. The paddle back was good excercise and I came to appreciate the Mirage Drive even more :mrgreen:

The ony maintance I do is to hose down the drive each time after use. I then spray various moving parts with WD 40. Just be sure to give the drive a good inspection each time after use.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've owned a Pro Angler 14 since last September. I live on a salt water creek off of the Potomac River in Maryland and probably have had my PA out 4 times a week since April. I abuse it, i.e. the drive gets washed and sprayed with WD-40 about once a week. The boat gets washed about once a month. I love it, it just works! I pedal, I get exercise, I catch fish. My average outing is 2 or 3 miles of pedaling plus whatever occurs as I fish. I get an hour or two in after work and a little more on Saturday or Sunday. It is a great boat.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Other than a rinse and very occasional shot with Boeing T-9, I haven't done anything to my Mirage Drives since 2005. Not a single one has failed or had a problem in all that time.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:55 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Me, too: Inspect, rinse, spritz. That's it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just got my PA a month ago but I had an outback for 6 years, and it was old when I bought it. Salt water a couple times a year and it got a spray down with water only, but only after I got home. Sometimes 5-7 days later. A few river trips a year with no washing off. Never sprayed any wd40 on it ever. Never replaced any parts or cable or had any problems at all.

Old Outback - SOLD

It's called "Fishing" for a reason...Otherwise, it would be called "Catching"

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

click on all three links, should give you a good idea on maintenance
Part I is a lubrication comparison:
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=12577

Part II has to do with lubrication points:
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=12576

Part III is about inspecting and adjusting the Drive:
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=12578

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Recently looked at the three links you provided on maintance. I have just switched from WD40 to Break Free for lubrication of the drive.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ditto for me! Switching to Break Free. Good article!

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:04 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hadn't done any maintenance to mine other than rinse and lube until today. I noticed a popping sound while chasing tarpon last week. My cables had become loose enough that they were slipping on the cam with each alternation of pedal movement. Tightened things up before heading out this morning to chase redfish. It was amazing how much tighter as smooth everything felt today. There was a lot of slack in the cables!

I bought my PA in March of this year and use it about twice a week as well as everyday of a couple week long fishing vacations. I guess it was just getting the "break in" slack pulled out of the cables. Definitely something I check a little more often now. Other than that minor maintenance issue my PA has been a dream to fish from!!! Now if I could just find a few more tournaments to fish!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

That Boeing T-9 stuff looks amazing. I think next time I buy another can of lube, that'll be the one.