Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: motor on pro angler
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am going to get the pro angler kayak.
I wanted to know if it is worth while putting a trolling motor on it.
Thanks
Mike

Post subject: Re: motor on pro angler
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Depends entirely on what you want, and expect it, to do.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

mike brennan wrote:
I am going to get the pro angler kayak.
I wanted to know if it is worth while putting a trolling motor on it.
Thanks
Mike

Personal Preference...I use my PA in open water usually 1-3 miles offshore, and fish alone 90% of the time. I wanted to have a good backup in case something happened to the Mirage Drive. Weather conditions can change very quickly also when you're on the open water(current, wind, waves, etc..) and it can wear you out trying to pedal against it. It only took one time with that happening to me, and I decided to get a motor...

There are many things to consider after deciding on getting a motor: Type(gas or electric & size of motor)...Cost(How much money do you want/have to spend)...And where to mount it(bow, stern or side)...Check your local DMV to find out if you need to register your PA (I live in Portsmouth, Virginia and I had to register and title my PA, and now am required to pay a tax every 3 years)...It took alot of time, and more money than I expected, but was worth it. The first time I used it was great. No more worrying about getting heat stroke from wearing myself out pedaling in this year's record high temps. And once, I was caught in less than desirable weather conditions offshore, with an outgoing current and strong offshore winds trying to take me out to sea, but my electric motor pushed my PA back to shore. My Mirage Drive was installed, but I couldn't pedal fast enough to fight the conditions so I turned on the motor and back to shore I went...Slowly, but surely the motor got me back safely...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'n not sure how many PA owners are aware that there is a company in Florida selling Bridgestone outboard motors. They're essentially weed-eaters modified only slightly to function as lighweight (20lbs and less) gasoline outboards for canoes, kayaks, sailboats, etc.

A buddy of mine just recently bought one of their 2HP, 4-cycle outboards for use on his PA. Cost him $600 including shipping.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks.
I think I will get the motor.
What would be the EASIEST way to transport & put in the water.

Thanks
Mike

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

If this is the engine Tom is refering to: http://www.ioutboardmotors.com/20hpoutboard4cycle.html

And...Is it the same engine you have decided to get?...I guess you are going to mount it to a side board? And you have thought about adding an external fuel tank that you will most likely need if you plan on going more than a mile or two?...Or if you mounted it from the stern, you have figured out how to extend the tiller and add an electric start because the PA's seat is about 5 ft. from the stern?...And...You'll still need an external fuel tank?...Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying the motor that Tom recommended is not a good motor. It just sounded to me like you were a little quick to decide and expected something EASY...And BTW...Because the PA is basically a plastic boat, kayak, PWC, or whatever...I wouldn't recommend transporting it with the motor attached or having everything loaded in it. Wait until your PA is at the launch point, or in the water before loading everything. That way you won't take a chance of warping or cracking the hull...

Adding a motor is great...But just remember that whatever type of engine you decide to go with, you'll still have to make mods to fit the engine to your PA. Do your homework first, or you'll end up disappointed with the extra time, cost and trouble.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

According to what we were told, you should be able to run maybe 5 to 6 miles on a quart of gas in this motor. The motor seems capable, but I've not seen it run on the boat yet so I'm making a guess as to how well it'll do. Although, they have been in business for 6+ years selling these motors.

Frankly, my choice would be an electric motor just for less muss and fuss. You might want to search this forum a bit for suggestions from other members as to what has worked for them.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've run the side motors and the rear motors .;........ I definitely prefer the rear motor ............ alot more convenience.

There are several good 1's out there to choose from ........... do your homework and try some if you can before you buy. I know my preference but I don't want to get into another discussion so I won't tell ya mine. Everyone has different pocketbooks, needs and preferences. Motors are expensive so choose wisely for the 1 that fits you best.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have an electric minnkota motor I've always had great results with on my 11' pontoon and am wondering if anyone has rigged them on a PA? Someone mentioned that motors work better on the back rather than side. Most of the motors I've seen mounted on PA's seem to be on the side and I'm not exactly sure how to mount one on the rear? Anyone have any pics or suggestions?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Remove the rear handle. Install a 1x4 across the back end, fasten in the same place the rear handle fastened. Hang the motor on the 1x4. Extend the handle so you can reach it. Easy. Easy. Easy.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Tom Kirkman wrote:
Remove the rear handle. Install a 1x4 across the back end, fasten in the same place the rear handle fastened. Hang the motor on the 1x4. Extend the handle so you can reach it. Easy. Easy. Easy.

Oh Tom...If it was only that easy, easy, easy :lol:...For one, you'll need longer bolts if you plan to reattach the rear handle. Second, you'll want to have a support of some kind to reinforce the 1x4 from the front so when the motor tries to pull back and forth, it will take the added stress off the handle bolts. Its too much to ask of those 2 handle, glued in body nuts alone, to take the stress of having a motor that will be pulling and pushing. After all...The rear handle is only secured by two bolts that are screwed into two nuts glued in place into the polyurethane body. Because the bolts will hold the 1x4 from the bottom, and the motor mounts to the top of the 1x4...Its like taking a crow bar and prying at the bolts. Probably will work for awhile...But what happens when you're out on the water and one or both glued in body nuts pop out? Also...You're talking about extending the tiller handle about 5 feet. Thats not easy, easy, easy...You'll also need the tiller arm to be able control the throttle, not to mention the steering(unless you secure the motor in line with the PA and use the PA's rudder to steer)...No offense Tom...I'm just trying to fill in a few things you failed to disclose :wink:

The transom I built for my PA is more work than most people would want to go through, but look at the pics and you can get some ideas :idea:

Notice the 2 support arms and wire w/ turnbuckle

I hope the pics help you :) BTW...My motor has a detachable head so I just ran some extra wire, added a couple quick disconnects and repositioned the throttle head next to my seat so I steer with my left hand (I use the PA's rudder to steer) and control the throttle with my right hand.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I think I'll go with an electric motor.
How much time is is on the electric motor.
What is the easiest way to transport the pro angler

Thanks
Mike

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree with Yak fish ....... it ain't that easy ...... and an extended arm on a rear mount is more than a PIA ......... you have to turn around to steer unless you put a joint in the arm and then you have to do something for the throttle twist ..........

If you want to use the basic Minnkota type engine then Just go to either Bass Yaks or Island Hoppers and see what you can get from them. You will probably have to use the aside mount.

I love my Torqeedo but it is definitely not built for a Pro Angler. So far I've had a backer plate built for the ball mount and I'm just now figuring out what to do about the steering. Next I have to figure out what to do about the reverse.

It's a crying shame that there is NO support from Hobie for their most expensive Yak for a rear mount motor ........ and Torqeedo is afraid of doing something because they don't want to tick off Hobie ........... kinda pisses ya off !!!!!!

........ That said ...... I still love the little thing and it's advantages ...... just wish there was better customer service at the high end .......

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It really is that easy. When the one I did for a buddy is back around this way, I'll take a photo of it and post it here.

Simple is better, although I will admit that designing a simple solution is often more difficult because the obvious is so easy to overlook.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

[quote="Memory Maker"]
I love my Torqeedo but it is definitely not built for a Pro Angler.

quote]
Not sure what your saying here.... Are you talking about the rear mount of a Torqeedo? Why wouldn't you use the Mirage Drive mount for the Torqeedo?