Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mate, if there was an 'Invention of the Year' category, I'd be voting for it.

That's a work of art. Did you keep tabs on the cost, or did you get to a stage of having to hide all your hardware dockets from the missus ?

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mmmmnn,.. you know me too well. :wink:

I reckon about $40 parts apiece, including grips, PVC, glue and hardware.

Plus $15 in beer for Batman for the use of his torch/aluminum bender/pipecutter.

Plus about $100 gas running forth and back to the hardware store... :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU wrote:
Mmmmnn,.. you know me too well. :wink:

I reckon about $40 parts apiece, including grips, PVC, glue and hardware.

Plus $15 in beer for Batman for the use of his torch/aluminum bender/pipecutter.

Plus about $100 gas running forth and back to the hardware store... :oops:

And that's just for the final product! Don't even get him started on the prototypes! :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

NOHUHU wrote:
I mentioned in another thread that my new vehicle (a Mazda CX-9) was giving me Hobie-loading Headaches. In fact, it is about the least suitable SUV for car-topping that I have seen.

Here's the beast:

Don't you think a trailer might have work perfectly instead of the car topping? I'm quite scared on how you put the other components on the rear window.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Image My Subaru's roof rack was too close together and too far from the back of the car. Even with front and rear tie downs, it bounced around alot and was tough to load. I added an after market hitch and a goalpost. It is now very simple to throw the bow up on the goalpost and slide the AI forward. It is very secure with half the weight on the rack and half on the hitch.

Last edited by dpstivers on Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The SUVFH did not have the towing package available so a goalpost is not feasible, though it would be convenient and stable for those who have a hitch. I have no room for a trailer.

Not to mention what a public hazard I would be backing up 40' of boat and beast. :twisted:

I have a couple AI trips planned soon when the wind picks up, so I'll take and post some shots of the fully loaded solution.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well, it's a done deal. After many 100's of $$$, months of not sailing (injuries), sailing my friends boats, and scamming rides on other peoples trailers, (thanks Batman!) I finally loaded my AI and took it on it's inaugural ride atop the SUV from Hell.

As God and Kayak Bob as my witness, it worked!!

I ended up going with Thule glide and set saddles atop the large Thule Aero Wing Bars. You saw the Aero bars picture on the car earlier. They are expen$ive and have a few flaws, but I like them.

On this test flight, I loading the AI solo using the tall custom foam blocks.

Basically, I suction the 2 or 3 foam blocks in place on the curved glass, lift the bow in place and slide her up with barely any resistance.

I'm still a little wobbly lifting and pushing way over my head but when you get used to guiding the hull using the rear "glide" saddles, it goes on/off quickly.

The hull is strapped to/under the bars. The Amas go along side upside down. Straps go through the Amas and around the main hull.

Hey - I can still carefully open the rear hatch with the boat loaded! There's tons or room back there for Akas, etc and everyone's Hakas. :mrgreen:

I was really concerned about the balance and need for extra tie downs but it turns out the load is tight and there is no rocking up/down or side to side. For insurance I added a couple ratcheting Thule tiedowns in the front.

There are NO tow bars and lots of thin plastic shroud under the SUVFH's bumper so I anchor onto the engine compartment frame. Clear tubing around the ropes, protects the paint job.

So, things look good. Between sails, I remove the Thule racks so I can save on gas and fit into any garage. They unlock and unscrew in under 2 minutes, using Thule's built in wrench tool.

The funniest part is that we trial loaded the AI in the dark, before a morning sail and found out that the boat JUST fit under the tallest section of my garage, with a breathtaking 1/2" to spare! (Bob has a picture somewhere).

Happy ending? I guess so. Hopefully it's the beginning of many great sails, now that I have finally pimped my kayak ride.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

He exaggerates! There was a whole 1" of room between his garage roof and his new SUV with his new hull on it! :shock:

No problems :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

GULP!! :shock: Thanks Bob.

I'll put off inflating my tires for awhile,...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Finally, a solution to fit and move all my "stuff". :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I guess I'll show my new way of cartopping that allows me to load and unload fully rigged :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NulaHNMfznk&list=UU_jWcpkB4hK3RTY0RHd9ajg&index=2[/youtube]

If you have a solid rack, you can get a small atv winch that will do the job easily for super cheap and integrate it in... my buddy did it for much cheaper than any trailer, and for long trips, uneven terrain, or unfamiliar territory it is always nice to not be pulling a trailer.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:48 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Brian9 wrote:
I guess I'll show my new way of cartopping that allows me to load and unload fully rigged :)

If you have a solid rack, you can get a small atv winch that will do the job easily for super cheap and integrate it in... my buddy did it for much cheaper than any trailer, and for long trips, uneven terrain, or unfamiliar territory it is always nice to not be pulling a trailer.

Great job ! I've been thinking about doing that to my Wrangler as I have to open up a can of elbow grease every time I want to to load my AI up there.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Brian9 wrote:

Does your Jeep have a remote start system? :o that impresses me as much as using the winch to get your kayak loaded up. Smart work, I like the Jeep. and the loading system.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Keith, looks like us granders remain "Old Salts" for awhile. I guess next they'll stack the words "Really" in front, over and over.

G'day Nohuhu and Chekika.
Im sure you blokes havn't reached the top of the Hobie 'rank ladder'...there must be room for..Oldman of the Sea, then at a later stage ...Ancient Mariner!

Cheers Ian :D