Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AI storage
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've been toying with getting an AI kayak for awhile. Is there any way to secure a boat like this on the beach? I keep my H14 and H16 anchored on the beach and have had few problems over the years but these kayaks would seem to be a little more portable, pilferable or targeted by vandals (kids). Anyone here keep their boats on the beach and, if so, how do you secure them? My house is only four or five hundred yards from the beach but the AI seems like a lot of heavy paraphernalia to be toting back and forth.

Post subject: Re: AI storage
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You'd have to lock it to something heavy or secure enough that a couple people couldn't carry it off. A cable lock through the scuppers would be a start but you'd still have to find something to connect that to.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Sunvista.
I kept my TI in the water at the Lower Murray Lakes for 10 days. Had a S/steel cable made up at the hardware with an eye each end and padlocked to the Aka inside the fitting and to a post on the bank. I have also used the cable to secure to a tree stump. I removed the paddles (easy to pinch) and the mirage drives (hard to replace due to $) so there wasn't a lot to carry.
I know this was no guarantee if someone was determined but it should stop the joy riders.
Not sure what "anchor" your other craft means but bite the bullet and buy a Hobie Kayak. I have had 28' craft down to small catermerans and have had more fun per dollar from the TI.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well, I anchor my catamarans with a big cinder block buried four feet or so deep in the sand. But then nobody is going to walk off with a 16 foot cat. I do that mainly for storms rather than thieves. Maybe I could attach a chain to an old iron cylinder head and bury it. Then run a steel cable through the chain. Not completely foolproof but someone would have to put in some serious labor to get it free.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

If it were me, and I'm a bit on the paranoid side, I'd pony 50.00 for a kayak cart, and leave it at the house. But that's me, cuz I don't want to lose my ai to some punk who thinks he deserves it more, cuz I actually paid for it.