Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mostly I troll from my PA. But with perch season setting in up here in MI, I will probably try anchoring and jigging or using basic perch rigs. Perch love minnows but I am not willing to commit $$$ for a full livewell setup. Can anybody recommend a minnow bucket of some sort that I can leave on the back deck when getting to the perch hole, hang over the side to keep the bait fresh while anchored, leave overboard and pedal around a little bit without feeling tethered to a log, and then pull back onboard when coming back home?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Walmart sells those yellow bait buckets that run abot $8-$9. I got one to put shrimp or mud minnows in when I fish in saltwater in a couple of week. It's a decent size. There are holes on the top back and a lockable door on the front that has holes for flow-thru. The area below the holes is deep enough so that you could set it on the deck and not lose the water in it needed for minnows or other bait.

I made a shock cord strap hooked to the handle that is on top. The other end of the shock cord will be attached around/through the side rail using a clip. I just wrap through the rail and hook to the cord itself. That way when I'm not underway, I just hang it over the side.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

this might be useful

http://kayakfishinggear.com/baittubehowto.aspx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

JDeee wrote:

Thanks for sharing! I might have to build one of those. The bait bucket I currently use and suggested above it stockier and not as aerodynamic, so it can add some drag if you leave it in while peddling. I like that design!

All I need is the end caps...lol.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

This fits great in the back of my PA.

New for this season to keep my Threadfin and Gizzard Shad happy. Pure O2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

SRAces - yes, the "dragable" bucket was what I had in mind, similar to
http://www.amazon.com/Frabill-Troll-Qua ... 68-6890256
I just wondered if this really worked as designed, or if it was too much work to pull around in the water with you.
The Bait Tube that JDeee suggests is interesting. I have never seen one like that before, but wonder how you load and unload the minnows from it when launching or coming back in. Seems like you would need to bring a bucket with you anyway, which partly defeats the purpose.
TeamGeauxFish - Wow! That's WAY more than I had in mind. Looks like you would need a deep sea diver (or at least an HVAC guy) to set that up for you.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jim_MI wrote:
SRAces - yes, the "dragable" bucket was what I had in mind, similar to
http://www.amazon.com/Frabill-Troll-Qua ... 68-6890256
I just wondered if this really worked as designed, or if it was too much work to pull around in the water with you.
The Bait Tube that JDeee suggests is interesting. I have never seen one like that before, but wonder how you load and unload the minnows from it when launching or coming back in. Seems like you would need to bring a bucket with you anyway, which partly defeats the purpose.
TeamGeauxFish - Wow! That's WAY more than I had in mind. Looks like you would need a deep sea diver (or at least an HVAC guy) to set that up for you.

Hi Jim!

I just checked the forum one more time before turning in and saw your post. I haven't used that Walmart bucket yet. I've been out many times in my PA in freshwater using my artificial baits.

Last weekend was my fisrt saltwater endeavor and I bought the bucket because we were supposed to pickup some live shrimp at the bait shop when we got to our fishing location. The bait shop was closed so we fished artificial and the bucket stayed stored in the front hatch, so I can't give a report on how well it performs yet...lol. I will once I go out again in the Jacksonville area pre-tournament fishing in a couple of weeks.

As long as an option is not expensive to buy or make...I'll give it a shot as you never know what will work great for you until you're actually using it. Yes...loading that tube is a good question.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Since you are using small minnows for perch, I would put the minnows in the tube at the bait shop inside a bucket half full. Those Frabill buckets are not sealed so there is no big difference with water splashing all over the place either way.

I use to have one of those Frabills on my boat and it acted like an anchor with my 9hp kicker motor. I can only imagine what it would be like trying to paddle or mirage with one hanging off the side. :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

you can't tow that flo-troll behind, I mean you can but its an an anchor.

I use one but just throw it up in the tank well between moves.
I on the other hand and am looking to get a livewell setup of some kind because I hate turning around to fish it up onto the rear of my adventure tank well and always forget it either in the water when I go to move or on the tank well after 30 minutes and my minnows are all stressed out/suffocating.

dragging items with a kayak is not recommended, at least not by me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

They make nice mesh minnow keepers if you think that would work. You could transport to the fishing hole in a regular minnow bucket and then put the little guys in the bag or actually put em in as soon as you're on the water. I would think the mesh wouldn't create too much drag but haven't tried it yet. Plan on checking it out this week-end. Have a good one! :idea:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a friend who was a minnow supplier, and now runs a B&T. What he said is the water when the oxygen is used up is the worst for them. What he suggested and I have done is drill small holes in the bottom of the Frabill yell/wht container. They live fine in the air and you can dip them if traveling a distance to keep them wet. Plus the minnows get much better water flow thru the container. One point about drilling do it from the inside out, they will tear themselves up on the jagged edges. MHO

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have fished several trips in saltwater using the Frabill yellow/white bait bucket and haven't posted since my first post before I actually used it. I have no issues with the Frabill bucket. The only time i take it out of the water is when I need to get bait out of it.

I keep it attached to the PA using a 4-5 foot shock cord I made with a big clip on each end. My bait has always stayed fresh and healthy all day. I have noted where some folks indicate that dragging it behind them is an issue. I never had any issues pedaling or moving with the bucket tethered in the water.

I want to eventually add that manual hand pump livewell/baitwell setup that a few folks have made as that seems like a very good solution that does not require battery power.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass