Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Everybody…

Sorry if this has been asked and answered…

When transporting your kayak where do most folks stow the Mirage Drive?

1) Locked in place? (Seems a bit dangerous to me)
2) In the hull of the kayak? (Would you wrap it up in something to protect it?)
3) In your vehicle?

We are planning a fairly long trip and the car is going to be packed to the gills… I would love to be able to store the drive in the hull for the length of the drive because they take up so much space but I am hesitant because I certainly could imagine either the kayak or the drive being damaged…

Any advice?

Thanks,

-Joe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joe,

after loading my Adventures on the car (upright in cradles, facing backwards - with the seat in place & folded down - one less thing to pack) and before strapping them down I lift the front of each boat up & put the MD into the slot, clip it in and attach the bungee to a pedal to keep the fins up under the hull. Works fine. MDs are a b*gg*r to pack in a car - they are an awkward shape which take up a lot of space and don't lend themselves well to lying comfortably on top of other stuff.

I also fill the yaks with all the light-ish gear I can stow (paddles, masts, sails, rods, clothing, fishing kit, camping kit - you name it).

And I put the carts, daggerboards and anything else that's reasonably heavy & low profile on the rear parcel area under the bungees. Have never lost anything yet through theft or bouncing off (touch wood - but I don't think there's any chance that they'd just bounce out or lift out due to slipstream).

Hope this helps :P

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie makes and sells a padded bag for storing the Mirage Drive. I transport it in that, in the back of my truck. It's mesh on one end, so you can go right back to it after use and not risk moisture setting up shop inside there.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:25 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I store everything possible in the back of my Durango: PA14 seat, Mirage Drive, paddle, front hatch container, landing net, fishfinder and battery, cart, and ice chest. I don't want anything blowing out and lost...

...and I have to lift that PA14 atop the Durango! Every ounce counts!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for all of the feedback! I think I will try to transport them in place like stobbo does!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a pickup with a huge back seat so that is where it goes, with the seats folded up. All fishing and kayaking gear is in plastic crates. easier to transport from the garage to the vehicles. One crate for fly fishing, one for Ocean fishing, one for fresh water, and two for basic kayak gear. Not all of that goes at once of course! I have only had this Hobie two weeks, I traded up for it from a Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 13.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Don't know what your trailering setup is, but I support our revos at the rear scupper holes and a few inches in front of the mast mount. I ALWAYS transport with the drives in place as mentioned above, but I don't put much of anything in the rear portion of the hull for fear of hull flex during transport. There's a lot of hull behind the scupper holes.

I now use a different trailer, but here's one in transit position:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Check the forum on transport and storage. I found a number of references about storing and transporting boats hull side up as better for the boats.

As a newbie transporting in a pickup, I was using pool noodles, hull down.

After catching few posts I checked my hull and noticed a slight bowing at the noodle point.

Have since been sliding the boats in on their hulls with cardboard in the bed to limit scrapes. I flip the boats before tie-down.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am not very careful with my outback. I throw it in the bed of my truck right side up and everything else goes in the cab. I do not see any problems with having done this for a year. My kayak is maybe sitting that way in 1/2 to 1 hour periods with long rest periods in between. I would not store my kayak like that for an extended period of time, but doing it for short periods is not going to hurt.

I also often, gasp, drag my Outback on concrete ramps a couple of feet each time I get in the water. I am sure the scratches are really hurting the efficiency of my outback :) I did the same with a Coleman crawdad (about the same plastic, but way heavier) for ~15 years with no ill effects.

I get the feeling that most folks treat their kayaks more gently than I treat a dozen eggs. Nothing wrong with that, but it is just not my style. Just wanted to offer a data point on the toughness of these kayaks.

A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for.
--John A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic, 1928

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I always carry my drive in my truck. No need for an expensive bag to carry it in. I use a USPS Priority Mail box left flat and with one end folded over and taped shut. A length of bungee keeps the "sheath" from falling off. Helps protect the fins and keeps the WD40 off items in my truck. I need to make a new one every 12-18 months or so. Cost $0.00.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The only thing that is not stored/transported on my PA is the Mirage Drive. At $500+ I am more concerned about someone stealing it than anything else. Having the Mirage Drive inserted in the PA is not feasible for me as my trailer set-up would interfer with the loading and unloading.

Love to pull up to the launch, slide the PA off, grab the drive and go park the car while all my non-Hobie friends are still getting their act together

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It would be pretty hard for someone to steal a drive out of my kayak when it is on the roof of the car because the kayak sits so low to the roof when strapped down that the fins won't fold down to remove it and you have to lift the front of the boat up to install/remove the drive.

Of course it could be done & I would not want to leave the drive on the roof overnight in some countries for that reason but it is not something that could be done in 10 or even 20 seconds so I am not too concerned leaving the kayaks on the car unattended in an open carpark in daytime here in NZ when I am getting a coffee/lunch or w.h.y.

I don't think many would-be ne'er-do-wells would even suspect that there might be something worth pinching on a kayak on someone's car roof in the first place - but after the fact is too late to be sure.

Now, if there was a way of locking the front of the yaks tight down on the roofbars there would be no chance of lifting the drive without the key or boltcutters.