Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've been away from the forum for a few years, and I've failed miserably in my attempt to find any discussions about the merits (or lack of merits) in using a shorter fin in the front position and an ST turbo on the rear.

We have two revos, both with ST turbos at this point. They're getting beat up, and I want to order spares. While browsing, I came across a couple of pictures of drives set up with a standard fin or an ST non-turbo in the front position, and I remember some discussion about this configuration years ago. Maybe I should order regular ST fins for the front and use the old standards and one set of beat up ST turbos as spares?

What's the current experience and wisdom? Has Roadrunner done any exhaustive testing? If there are posts on this, my apologies for my inadequate search skills.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:40 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

rx7vt wrote:
What's the current experience and wisdom?
You know those Aussies have a great sense of humor and are quick to pull pranks on each other (and anyone else gullible as well). I think this was one of them. This was supposed to make the boat go faster. Of course, not only does it go slower, but the boat rocks back and forth due to the unbalanced nature of the mismatched fins. Here's an ST/ST Turbo combination:

Here are a few others that haven't fared so well either:
Image Image
Image Image

It never hurts to try out a new idea though -- you never know when one might work! 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks. I was trying to imagine why it wouldn't cause at least a bit of side-to-side. I think this discussion must have hit the boards about the time we bought ours. I didn't pay much attention. I ran into a couple of photos like your first one this week when I was brushing up on lubrication. I couldn't find and references at all to any discussions of why, how, or if the short/long flipper configuration made any sense.

I figured it had to be either a closely guarded secret shared jealously by the elite inner circle, based on vortex shedding or quantum entanglement.... or else it was a practical joke.

Now, if it really was a closely guarded secret, then those in the inner circle would work to expunge any records of constructive discussion, and they'd answer any questions by dismissing it as a prank. And if there's an inner circle, Roadrunner must certainly be in it....

Confirmation! Thanks!