Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Three questions: (1) what is the current price for a Getaway, (2) is the front tramp a problem in chopping water? Sailing on Lake Erie gets pretty rough and I wonder if the front tramp creates a knocking around effect, and (3) beaching on Lake Erie beaches can be a bit rough due to stones. The stones just scraped my Prindle fiberglass hulls. How will the Getaway polyethylene hulls stand up to this beating?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I can respond to 3: Polyethylene hulls are a lot more resistant to wear and tear than fiberglass ones, so if the prindle was just scratches, the getaway should be golden

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

On Oneida Lake (boats left near the shore all summer), we build ramps out of wood and PVC between them (for the boat to slide onto) or use outdoor carpeting on 2 boards.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I can help with #1 and I have the same question on the front tramp. I just bought a 2007 Getaway and paid $5000 with trailer. Everything was in great shape except the front tramp; dry rotted. The price you pay will depend on the shape of the boat and the condition of the owner (his/her temperament).

I am looking to replace the front tramp and considering an aftermarket coated polyester mesh (similar to Hobie stock mesh) or polyporpolene mesh (similar to rear tramp. Anyone have an opinion on how the two will fair in mild waves. I've heard the polypro mesh doesn't make for a good forward tramp because of lack of openness. Any thoughts? This may help with prindleman's #2.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Can't help with current pricing, but in regards to the second question, since the front tramp is very open mesh, we've had zero issues with course alteration or ride quality. Although our own boat is a Hobie 16, we've rented a Getaway for four years on our trips to Belize. The winds there in late April/early May are pretty steady around 15-25 knots, so we get plenty of wave action, even though they're not large, surf waves. In some of the cuts in the reef, we've experienced waves as tall as 6-7 feet, though they're more typically in the 3-4 foot range. We get wet as hell, but the ride is just fine.

Considering that the 16 has more of a reputation for high performance, I thought we'd be a little disappointed renting the Getaway, but truth be told, after four years' experience with the Getaway, I'm about ready to think about parting with my beloved 16, and begin looking for a local Getaway to own instead.

'83/'84 H16 "Cosmic Cat" Blue Hawaii #82278

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There are several posts about removing the front tamp in rough conditions somewhere in the Getaway form. On the ocean with large swells I don't think its a problem but I was in Cour 'd'alene last summer and I ran into a 25 knot winds the chop was about 24" but they were very close together and very clearly affected the boat. If I sailed a lot in those conditions I would take the front tramp off.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've had my Getaway for 9 years now and last season needed to replace my front tramp again due to the strong Florida sun beating it up. I replaced it the first time with a net tramp that I bought from Hobie. My wife really liked to soft feel of that forward netting material that Hobie uses.

But when it rotted out again from the sun last year, I bought a net from Sunrise Yacht Products through their web site http://www.multihullnets.com/ based upon recommendations of other multi sailors in my area. I called in the order so that I could learn more about the different types of material that they use to build their tramps. I received excellent advice and service. It took about 4 weeks from the time that I placed my order to receive the new tramp. They custom build each tramp in Pinellas Park, Florida. After almost a year the tramp still looks like new. It isn't as soft as a Hobie brand tramp but it seems like it is made of stronger material.

'05 Wave

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We bought our Getaway new in 2010 for about $9,000 (with wings). Used ones - even 10+ years old - rarely seem to go for less than $5,000.

We sail it in Lake Michigan, leaving it on the beach all year. We've been out in some pretty hairy weather and never had problems with the front tramp. When playing with an overloaded boat on a fair day (5-6 adults and 4 kids) the kids on the front tramp get wet with almost every ripple. But when sailing in 25 knots or so with serious waves and 3 people on board, I only remember driving hard into the face of a wave one time, and it was the hull that slowed us more than the quickly draining front tramp. Never felt that it was going to cause serious endo worries.

There is so much floatation up front (compared to our old 16) that the front tramp rarely takes on water when normally or lightly loaded and out from shore. When leaving shore, the steep breaking waves will cover the tramps and bows repeatedly, but on Lake Michigan there are usually only serious waves when there is serious wind, so we can power through with little trouble.

It's all sand where we are so can't help with #2.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I agree with this post. I've sailed with 25 knot wind and had no problems with water hitting the front tramp. Lots of people and rough wind will make the main tramp hit the water a lot, which is kind of annoying when water is cold, but there's not so much you can do about it....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I can help with question 3)

A bright new getaway with wings as said in a previous post is around $9000... now if you want to buy a used one in good condition you should be looking around the $5000 and $500 for a good trailer... That would be the average price I'll say.

I don't know if you are looking to buy a hobie getaway, but if so I actually have one for sale from 2011 with wings. the boat is looking in Miami and is in great condition. It comes with the wings as well... I'm asking $5200 for it.

Let me know if interested :)
305 345 4104

Rental Company in Miami, FL