Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I posted this video of a test of my fishing gear setup on the Hobe Revo 11. The downrigger and sidekick ama will primarily used for salmon fishing in the Pacific NW. The setup worked great!
http://youtu.be/uPPW8OntO_M

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:52 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hey very cool, glad everything worked fine.

I didn't know you could sit the revo on top of the mirage drive while having it locked in the "up" position. That should help me when launching in the surf

Thanks
Dan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am amazed at how little water it takes to float the Revo 11. I did some measurements and tests and the Revo 11 will float in 4 inches of water with me on it and no Mirage Drive. I bet it will float in about 3 inches empty.

An easy way to tell how high your boat floats is to look in the Mirage Drive well. It is 5" from the bottom of the boat to the floor at the Mirage Drive well and my water level is about 1 inch below the floor there with me in it. The Mirage Drive in the full up stowed position sticks down about 1.5 inches. So I, at 185 lbs, + gear can float in about 6 inches of water with the Mirage Drive fins UP. I usually go calf deep or so when I sit in it and have never grounded out. I usually also pull the drive when returning to shore since going from deep to shallow is less forgiving. Don't forget the rudder sticks down too. I am considering making a kick up rudder since I almost always forget the pesky, but efficient thing. It does give though.

You will notice in the video that I start out with a flutter kick after being seated which quickly moves me into water deep enough to peddle full stroke. A smart person would paddle out, but I carry two credit cards with me instead in case one fails ;)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice setup!
I was thinking of a down-rigger setup too, but didn't know where I could fit it.
Got any close-up pictures on the mounting job you did?

I would be using it for offshore fishing, so I am not sure if i can use the same reel or what weight I would have to use.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Jcanracer wrote:
Nice setup!
I was thinking of a down-rigger setup too, but didn't know where I could fit it.
Got any close-up pictures on the mounting job you did?

I would be using it for offshore fishing, so I am not sure if i can use the same reel or what weight I would have to use.

I mounted the Scotty Lske Troll downtigger in a Scotty standard rod holdet mount. The mount fits in the side area with the webbing like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wde__-R4 ... ata_player