Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I spent the afternoon dismantling my 1981 Hobie 18 that I've only had for a month. With plenty of advice from the forum, I found that the hulls were not in good enough shape to fully trust. We had a massive soft spot that took about 3.5 quarts to fill. It was very interesting to cut up the hulls and observe a soft spot from the inside out. I cut up the logo from the stern and removed the serial number from the transom for posterity. I'll be making a thread this evening to sell the parts of this boat.

It's sad that we only had the boat for a month, but we're looking for a newer and nicer one that hasn't been abused or neglected. It's amazing how much I've learned about these boats in just 1 month of owning one, and more amazing at how much else there is to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Are you going to sale your main and comptip? If so I am in the market and need both.

Beau 254-722-0888
[email protected]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

My advise is that you not sell anything until you get your next 18. You never know what you will find and in what condition. You might need most of what you have now, especially the rudder system.

on that note; If you still want to sell the tramp pm me. :D

Fleet 259 Central Coast California

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Email and a PM sent to you guys. I bought a very solid 18 Magnum a few months ago and have been loving it! Everything is in great shape and I didn't have to use any of the parts off of the old boat.

For anyone else that's interested, here's a link to the stuff off it for sale.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

inspector071 wrote:
Email and a PM sent to you guys. I bought a very solid 18 Magnum a few months ago and have been loving it! Everything is in great shape and I didn't have to use any of the parts off of the old boat.

Glad to hear things worked out and you got a better boat. You have some good parts there, most notably your dagger boards, mainsail, trailer, trailer box (why not keep this for extra storage?) and anchor plates. I'm sure some of it will sell but it may take some time and flexibility with the pricing. That said, I respectfully submit your rear crossbar looks worthy of the scrap metal heap. My worthless $.02. :P

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

BrianCT wrote:
inspector071 wrote:

Glad to hear things worked out and you got a better boat. You have some good parts there, most notably your dagger boards, mainsail, trailer, trailer box (why not keep this for extra storage?) and anchor plates. I'm sure some of it will sell but it may take some time and flexibility with the pricing. That said, I respectfully submit your rear crossbar looks worthy of the scrap metal heap. My worthless $.02. :P

Yeah, I actually have 4 pairs of daggerboards at the house now, along with a complete spare set of rudders. The rear crossbar actually cleaned up quite a bit. That's what it looked like fresh off the boat. I should have taken pics after cleaning it.