Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Does anyone know where I can get a parts diagram and parts list for my 2009 PA? I ask because an incident occured today where I was lucky it didn't happen when I was fishing offshore a few miles. It was very annoying that my rudder steering line broke just as I was pushing away from the boat launch. I have so much gear that it takes awhile to get the PA loaded and unloaded with my motor, battery, large cooler, etc...Today was the first day in over a week where the weather was nice enough to go fishing. It was sunny w/ no clouds, 0-5mph winds, but hot about 92 degrees (cooler than this past week though). By the time my PA was loaded and in the water ready to go, I was already drenched in sweat and ready to relax and be about my way...I know the water was deep enough because my motor sits lower than the rudder, but anyway as I went to pull away, the steering lever became hard to move and then snapped. The kicker though was that before even leaving home I performed a dry rig to make sure everything was working properly(Fish Finder, Trolling motor, AND I dropped the rudder and cycled the steering lever back and forth to make sure nothing was binding. As luck would have it, even though I had some tools with me to open the steering box...The cable had snapped inside the tube so there was nothing I could do while on the water....SO...I had to go through the hassle of pulling my truck back down to the launch and unloading all my gear from the PA, etc..., while a line of 3 boats had to wait for me to leave before being able to launch...I got no dirty looks though, because I think the people saw what I had just been through and saw it in my eyes and on my face that I was %$#@%$# off...So they knew better than to even look at me wrong...I'm normally not violent, but today I felt PA Rage (Similar to Road Rage)...

So...Hobie...I'm disappointed at another design flaw I've found in the 2009 PA...I've had to make a number of mods over the last 3 years to my PA to correct issues (design flaws) and I have quite a bit of money invested in it now and don't want to sell it...I just want to correct the design flaw (Hobie's use of string, where vinyl coated Stainless Steel cable would probably have worked the best because of the inaccessability of the rudder steering line and importance of the rudder).

Anyway...Please forgive my bit@#$ng...I just need/ want a parts diagram so I'll be able to make an educated decision on whether or not I have the tools and can make the repair/ mod myself. :(

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

http://www.hobiecat.com/support/products/pro-angler/

That should get you all the info you need, hopefully. That is currently listed in the support section. I know there are changes from year to year. Maybe one of the moderators have a better, more correct, diagram. Might have to wait till one of the logs on...

Bill in Spokane, WA
2009 Outback - Olive
2011 Outback - Yellow
2012 Pro Angler 12' - Olive

Hobie Outback Olive
Hobie PA 12'
Hobie i9S Sage
Hobie i9S Sage
Native Water Craft Mariner 12.5 Propel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

wjpelka wrote:
http://www.hobiecat.com/support/products/pro-angler/

That should get you all the info you need, hopefully. That is currently listed in the support section. I know there are changes from year to year. Maybe one of the moderators have a better, more correct, diagram. Might have to wait till one of the logs on...

Bill in Spokane, WA
2009 Outback - Olive
2011 Outback - Yellow
2012 Pro Angler 12' - Olive

Thanks Bill for your help, but unfortunately the link you provided didn't have the information that I need. There was a diagram for a twist & stow?, showing the cable and parts configuration, but not a diagram with the configuration for the 2009 PA that shows the steering Lever assembly and down to the steering drum. I really need to see that because I've never had a need to open the steering lever assembly, so I don't know what it is supposed to look like and how the lines should be run down to the steering drum at the rudder. But thanks again for trying to help :|

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

http://www.kayakfishingmagazine.net/articles/102-current-issue-featured-articles-on-kayak-fishing/1318-hobie-pro-angler-steering-upgrade-.html

Check this upgrade out! Might be what you want. Maybe one of the pic's in the article gives you the diagram...

Bill in Spokane

Hobie Outback Olive
Hobie PA 12'
Hobie i9S Sage
Hobie i9S Sage
Native Water Craft Mariner 12.5 Propel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

wjpelka wrote:
http://www.kayakfishingmagazine.net/articles/102-current-issue-featured-articles-on-kayak-fishing/1318-hobie-pro-angler-steering-upgrade-.html

Check this upgrade out! Might be what you want. Maybe one of the pic's in the article gives you the diagram...

Bill in Spokane

Thanks Bill...Though I'm not interested in getting the steering upgrade, because it was alot of work for me to reposition the steering lever to the side of the seat from under the seat, and its positioned perfectly now, so my steering arm rests by my side with my hand resting on the lever, and I don't have to reach out or lean forward in the seat to reach it. Whenever I need to change course or make a small course adjustment, I don't have to move my arm at all...Just my fingertips to push or pull the lever. Look at the photo below and you can see where the lever attaches to the side of my seat. I just need pics of the internal parts in the steering lever so I can see how the lines are supposed to run...I don't know though...The line didn't break at the attachment point inside the housing... It broke about 6" into the tube...I guess that tomorrow I'll go out and really get a good look at it, and then I probably won't need a diagram...Just a part number/ numbers so I can order some more string and possibly the tube...I will post again tomorrow after taking the lever mechanism apart and taking a closer look...I'm sure that my Hobie Dealer would be able to get me part numbers to order what I need to fix it, or repair it if I can't...But I'm fairly sure that I can fix it. BTW...I'm sure Hobie had good reason for choosing to use string and not S.S. wire when designing the PA's steering. Hobie...Please forgive my strong words in my initial post :oops: ...I love my 2009 PA and its been fun adding accessories and customizing it these past 3 years :D