Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I added the sidekick AMA for stability when downrigger fishing, stand-up flyfishing, crabbing, and as an aid to self rescue in the event of a capsize. It worked so well, I may use it all the time!
http://youtu.be/k4HnsR_0VTo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a set of outriggers on my revo 13 and when in the fully down position, I have found it pretty well impossible to rock side to side, let alone flip! If I ever get the itch to venture out of the inlet, I will definately feel safe with my outriggers attached.

Pretty fun standing up and paddling as a SUP on calm lakes as well

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the video.

I wondered about the use of the Sidekick AMAs with the Revo 11, and I don't remember seeing anything about the use of Sidekick AMAS with it or even a Hobie photo showing a Revo 11 with the AMAs.

The AMAs , make our 2009 Oasis very secure, and they probably do a better job with the small Revo 11.

Chaz wrote:
I added the sidekick AMA for stability when downrigger fishing, stand-up flyfishing, crabbing, and as an aid to self rescue in the event of a capsize. It worked so well, I may use it all the time!
http://youtu.be/k4HnsR_0VTo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

ncy7d wrote:
I have a set of outriggers on my revo 13 and when in the fully down position, I have found it pretty well impossible to rock side to side, let alone flip! If I ever get the itch to venture out of the inlet, I will definately feel safe with my outriggers attached.

Pretty fun standing up and paddling as a SUP on calm lakes as well

I read a post about a guy that flipped his when he got sideways to breaking waves while he was trying to rescue a fellow kayaker http://www.kayakfishingmagazine.net/art ... -cove.html.

If it does flip, it will be just as stable upside-down and hard to get upright. The beauty of the Sidekick AMA is that with the pull of a pin, one of the floats can be removed. Or, if you are worried about losing it, let the air out and re-inflate it when you are upright again. When it comes time to re-board, I cannot think of a better self-rescue aid than the Sidekick AMA. Check out my self rescue video for more info viewtopic.php?f=11&t=44138