Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sailing without the jib
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello all. I'm wondering how you tension your rigging if you want to attempt to sail without the jib sail up?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Generally.. If I am leaving the jib off I am looking to do it to dramatically depower the boat.

This means you only need enough rig tension to sheet in relativity tight going block to block with the main sheet.. More rig tension generally means more power...

You could use a cable from the jib and rig it just like normal without the sail up.. This would be the best if this is something you are planning to do quite a bit IMO... and want to be able to adjust rig tension.

I would just mount the forestay down lower.. You could use the Jib Halyard.. Tie off to a length of rope tied to your mast stand.. Just like many do when stepping the mast solo. This will allow you to put significant tension on the rig so you can hook up the forestay just as low and tight as possible... Or freely take your pick.... But remember you only want enough rig tension to be able to sheet all the way in just as you are going block to block to depower the boat as much as possible...

Just look at how the non 'turbo' H14 is rigged.... And nobody gets real excited about lots of rig tension on those that I am aware of...

What I have done... I just take the jib sheet and run it to the chain plate and then use the Jib sheet to tension the rig...

Like this..

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Holy Crap when I sail solo with Main Sail only, all the rigging I do is just install the Main sail, and leave the Jib on the truck !!!!
:D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

leave the Jib up If the wind is strong enough that a jib is not safe then you should stay on the beach and have a cold one

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The first time I solo sailed my H16, I thought it would be a good idea to leave the jib off. I discovered that I could not point as high into the wind, and tacking was a little harder, but not too bad. But once a second person came aboard, upwind sailing became extremely clumsy. The jib gives you power forward of the center of lateral resistance, which helps to counteract the tendency of the mainsail to turn the boat upwind. So without the jib, as you tack, the mainsail is constantly trying to send you into irons. Now I almost always sail with the jib. When I'm solo, I just "set it and forget it". If your looking to depower, the better alternative is to reef the main if you can.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I still love the way you put wood grain mac-tac all over your boat like that!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I tried sailing with the jib furled because of high winds today should have taken the cold beer option.I was fighting being in irons a lot more and didn't account for the fact you need more room for more wind.Maybe with more sailing time I could make it work not now.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:02 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I solo 95% of the time and go with the set it and forget it mode if the wind is blowing hard. If your main has reefing points... use them as depowering your main is a much better option to keep your cat more manageable.

'95 H16 sail #101148
'89 H18 SX/ sail #1053 w/ Yellow hulls

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks everyone. Been a while since I was on last and since I asked the question I've gone with the set it and forget method, although I'm starting to play with it now as well. I'm glad I never sailed without it now. There's a lesson to all the other newbies out there. Don't be afraid to sail solo with it!!!!!!:) :D