Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Last year, after a severe gi episode which happened after Mother' Day, my wife was diagnosed with a severe Paraesphogeal Hiatial Hernia with 60% of her stomach going up into her abdomen.

We were fortunated to have two excellent young surgeons in our community who were experts with this surgery.

http://www.ctsnet.org/sections/clinical ... ech-9.html

She was operated on 1 Aug last year and was in the OR room for close to 5 hours and had 5 new belly buttons after the surgery. Recovery was longer than we expected, and kayaking for her was put on hold until this past week.

Last week, we took our 2009 Oasis to Bodega Bay and used it on the north end of the bay. We, also, went to the new Russian River Launch site at Jenner and had a great time.

Once we got the Oasis into the water, it performed very well. We used our Kokatat Tempest Pants K waders with the built in feet and never got cold inspite of 50 ish water temps and low 60 air temps. The Mirages and the Oasis performed well inspite of wind 15+ MPH, mild waves and tidal impacts in Bodega Bay. With the Hobie Amas, the Oasis is probably more stable than my Jon Boat.

With the K waders and built in feet and large sandals to fit over the feet, we had to remove the stirrups on the pedals. Both of us feel that it is easier to pedal without the stirrups. We don't have the foot cramps and lower leg cramps we had when we used the stirrups.

There was wind 15 mph+ at the Jenner Site, and the Oasis handled it very well going against the wind, with the wind and cross wind. I used the LST landing/launch techniques at the launch/ramp site due to the cross winds. When your yak is 3 years old, you don't worry about scratches.

The Camel Kayak trailer does not work with the Oasis. It works for my Freedom Hawk 12 and Pathfinder. So, we used the Hobie Wide wheel Trax and not very delicate removal and insertion techniques of the Trax in and out of the scupper holes.

http://www.ctsnet.org/sections/clinical ... ech-9.html

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Glad to hear you and your wife are back on the water. My wife and I have our 2010 Oasis on the lakes of Central Florida as often as possible.