Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

After acquiring a 2007 AI, and working to get it operational, I got to try it out for the first time in Bogue Sound at Emerald Isle wile on vacation. That is an excellent place to sail! plenty of east to west wind all day every day and becoming stronger in the evenings. Average 7 to 14 mph with gust up to 20. It felt like flying! I had so much fun with it, I only went to the beach 1 day even though that was my original purpose. East of Woods Island was a good spot because enough depth for the dagger board even when the tide was out along with plenty of open water to glide across. I will enjoy windy days on my local lakes too but don't think it will ever match charging by diving seagulls and through rolling whitecaps! Up until now just sailed my outback locally on occasion and once in the sound my first day there, but once I launched the AI, there was no going back. Can not wait to get it back there again. Very addicting indeed!

[imgImage][/img]

[imgImage][/img]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:29 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

[imgImage][/img]

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

They're calling for 12 to 14 MPH winds (gusting to 17) at Oak Hollow on Sunday afternoon. Unless something changes, I plan to be out there around lunch time.

They let the sailboaters use the north launch ramp so you're pretty much unmolested by any of the powerboaters and can take all the time you need. And, with perhaps the finest launch facilities in the state (and rarely crowded these days), it's just a very nice place to launch and use a boat.

I'm in sailing withdrawal at this point.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:11 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have yet to visit Oak Hollow. I'm glad to hear it is kayak friendly. Unfortunately, this weekend I have to be in Charlotte, but hopefully similar conditions will be present the weekend or soon after.

Also I have it disassembled again to reverse any remaining neglect from the previous owner and make improvements when parts arrive. Things I didn't have time to do before vacation.

Thanks for the info about Oak Hollow's north ramp. I will be sure to check it out first chance I get.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:31 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

[url]Image[/url]

:mrgreen: