Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Two new problems
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

On my last trip in the TI I noticed two new, maybe interrelated, problems. The plastic mast base (the piece that the furling line wraps around) has come loose from the mast... I can see the glue that originally held it on. This happened after taking the boat out maybe ten times. Can I just glue it back on? What do you think I should use to do so?

Second problem: on my last couple trips, something has started jamming up in the mast mechanism. I try to unfurl the sail, get maybe 1/4 of the way, and it jams up so that no amount of tugging on the sheet will do anything. I can sit forward and manually spin it with my hands but it feels pretty tight. When I got back to the beach I removed the sail and inspected the bearings... they seem to move just fine. Not sure what is causing this. Any ideas? I appreciate the help! :)

Post subject: Re: Two new problems
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

These are not new problems and in fact it is one problem causing both- a loose furler collar.
If you look in the "Help with Repairs /problems" section you'll find lots of info like this:
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=34816

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The mast spool needs to be re-glued with a good 2-part epoxy like West Systems G-Flex. Make sure to get the height correct when gluing it.

It's possible the spool could be to blame for the jam. Easiest way to check is try to deploy it on land with little wind and follow the lines to see what's jamming. If it works freely with little wind, could it just be you are sailing in stronger winds?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

stringy wrote:
These are not new problems and in fact it is one problem causing both- a loose furler collar.
If you look in the "Help with Repairs /problems" section you'll find lots of info like this:
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=34816

Hello and thank you! I just meant that they were new problems to me.

KayakingBob wrote:
The mast spool needs to be re-glued with a good 2-part epoxy like West Systems G-Flex. Make sure to get the height correct when gluing it.

It's possible the spool could be to blame for the jam. Easiest way to check is try to deploy it on land with little wind and follow the lines to see what's jamming. If it works freely with little wind, could it just be you are sailing in stronger winds?

No it's not the wind that's causing the jam. I have used it in much stronger wind before and it worked beautifully. It was very difficult to turn the mast by hand in either direction, wind or not. It's either the spool or maybe some sand got in there somewhere. Thanks for the epoxy recommendation, I'll check it out