Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Outback redesign?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have been told by a reliable source the the PA 14 hull is undergoing a redesign to include the PA 12 type transducer mount.

How cool would that be if the same were true for the Outback?

I vote yes...what say you?

:mrgreen:

Salt: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeb5zOGDfoKlEPsMK5GBUOge_Qz5u2koH

Post subject: Re: Outback redesign?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I would say its about time Hobie caught up with a whole lot of other kayak fishing designers and incoporated a transducer scupper in all their fishing kayaks! Its not like its a radical new concept or anything. In the meantime the Lowrance scupper mount seems to fit the Outback pretty well
http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Marine ... per-Mount/
I intend to use one on my Outback with a Lowrance 4

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If they redesign the Outback, that will be my next kayak in 2013. I wonder if they can make it a bit lighter?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I like shooting through my hull of my Outback. I just got a Humminbird 597ci HD DI and I have no problem in 135' of water (deepest I have been). There is a fellow in Australia who does side imaging shooting using a Lowrance unit by through the hull.

My main concern is that even with a recessed mount, the transducer is never going to be as well protected outside the hull compared to inside the hull. Just my 2 cents. Of course my concern is due in part to the fact that I drag my kayak up on shore, maybe other folks treat their kayaks more delicately.

A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for.
--John A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic, 1928

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There is a plate that covers the indentation that holds the transducer. It should completely protect the transducer when dragging the kayak.

I also was curious about the changes that may come out on the Outbacks. It was my choice for my new purchase. Then I tried the PA 12 and quickly forgot about the Outback. While the Outback is one of the very best fishing platforms on the market, the PA 12 was more suited to my needs.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I did not know about the plate that covers the transducer. That makes a lot of sense. I thought it was just a recess.

A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for.
--John A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic, 1928

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

A few bumps and scratches on the face of the transducer from sand will do it no harm. I have sanded off the face of a transducer when switching it between yaks. The actual electronics are well protected inside the hard resin case of the transducer. Many kayaks now have transducer scuppers so that the transducer is protected from contact with beaches etc. With the Lowrance Transducer Scupper fitting the transducer is quite well protected from beach contact owing to the Outback hull design. Our local kayak fishing pro, Stephen Tapp, who is something of a legend and a technically very savvy guy says there is a huge difference in sensitivity between and exposed transducer and a throught the hull set up. Also keep in mind the fact that Hobie use high quality, dense plastics to cope with the stress of the mirage drive. We usually locate our transducers around the mast step, probably the thickest part of the hull. Therefore some form of dedicated transducer scupper would be a very positive improvement on the Outback.
I agree that it would be great to see some improvements on this classic design. I have toyed with the idea of replacing my Outback with a Revo :oops: mainly for the superior open water performance of the Revo and that really annoying hull slap of the OB when heading into a wind blown chop. So when Hobie produces the Outlution I'll be first in the queue. :D I'm simply not in the position to run a fleet of kayaks and I do like the simplicitiy of having only one yak.
Hmmm just suggested to my lovely wife that maybe we could trade her beloved Sport on A Revo that I could use for ocean trips :twisted: She thought that was a good idea - gosh I love that woman!