Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm located in NW Jersey on Lake Hopatcong. Got my TI, in Discreet Dune, about a week ago and have been out four times. First with two passengers, once by myself with my dog, (mini black poodle, Ace,) and last two times with my wife and Ace.
The time by myself with Ace we had a good breeze, probably around 10 to 12 kts with higher puffs. Got the leeward ama almost totally buried a few times. Fun!
Ace, however, doesn't like the spray so much. So I'm thinking about installing a dodger over the front seat to give him a somewhat drier, protected area to hole up in while I drive from the rear. I have factory tramps and have ordered some of Bob's spray skirts too.
Anyone else sail with their pups? I use a Ruff wear PFD for him and have had to pluck him out of the drink with its handle once already. Highly recommend them.
Anyhow, just loving the boat so far. Got her up to 6.5kts yesterday in lightish wind, and that with my wife and Ace on board!
When's Hobie going release a jib for us? Ever?
Jeff, aka Skeenut

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Skee,

I'm the lodge manager in the Dick's Sporting Goods up in Rockaway. I own a TI myself, equiped with tramps, eVolve motor, and many other customizations. I usually don't bring my boat up to work with me (I live 1.5 hours south), but I have been out on Hopatcong a number of times fishing.

If you drop in some time and I'm not too busy, we can chat up our Hobie's and I can give you a few tips on modifying it to better suit your needs.

- Dave

Running a 2010 Tandem Island transported on a modified Yakima Rack & Roll.

Modifications: Torqueedo Hobie eVolve v2; Furling line rigged to cleat from rear crossbar w/Spinlock cam cleats; Custom ACK anchor trolley system;

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

While I wouldn't mind adding a jib, I also love the simplicity of the cat rig, which can get the TI really scooting. If it doesn't point as well as a sloop rig, just start dancing on those pedals when tacking, lingering a while in the middle, so you drive straight upwind a ways before moving onto the other tack. Your GPS track looks strange, but your average "pointing angle" improves drastically (and it is pretty good for improving your fitness too)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just made my first trial of a prototype Genoa. I was really happy with the results, but the roller reefing system is much less hassle free with the halyard attached (and yes using the pre-installed web on my 2012 TI). I'll have to post more pix after I make the real sail (I have the cloth and materials ready to go).
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9803211@N02/7707783008/in/photostream

So far, all the rigging can be fairly easily removed. The design doesn't use a forstay, but tensions the jib with a halyard, and what I call the lower tensioner. Both run forward to a double block at the nose, then back to traditional cleats on the aft akas. The sheets run through blocks at the forward handles, and then clam cleats on wooden block installed on the second set of handles (have to watch out for tiller clearance on the port side).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Dave,
Thanks for the invite to talk Hobies! We may have met already; I've been in to your store several times for various ski related doodads over the years. My wife works at Morris Knolls so I'm down there every so often. I'll stop by.

Tonystott,
Yes, I've found pedaling through a tack can expedite things nicely. We generally have light wind on the lake and I'm always trying to get tighter upwind, too tight usually. So the thought of a jib is really enticing...But I'm really McLuvin the Mirage drives. I was thinking about a WindRider 17 instead of the TI, but the drives tipped the balance to the Hobie.

I'll probably be making some hakas in the near future. Might just need to drive from the front to be able to hike out a bit. But then the dog can't come along. Need to keep him in front of me and in sight at all times. I'd do a quarter deck too if there was a way...