Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: sea sickness
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I get sea sick in my small boat when the swells are slow (keeping my eye on the horizon helps)
I dont get sea sick when in the big water (as far as I know). last time I was at a sea beach is 30 years ago.

So is seasickness more likely in a small kayak than a small boat. Is there any way to train my self out of it over time?

Post subject: Re: sea sickness
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you are busy keeping the boat under control, looking out, you are probably less likely to get seasick. On the other hand, if you need to look down often, like while fixing a problem, you would be more likely to get seasick.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Probably more likely in a small boat if it is closed in.
The only time I felt at all queazy was in my 27' sailer with my head in a cupboard under a bunk. Fresh air and looking at the horizon fixed that.
My Son was a chef on the largest cat in Australia, picture below. He spent all his time below in the galley. They had a fan in an 18" tube blowing fresh air into the galley. In a swell if feeling sick, they stuck their head in the pipe and had fresh air forced into their face.
In a kayak you should always be able to see the horizon and be in fresh air.
If your born to be sea sick, there aint much that will help other than persistence and experience.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

http://www.transdermscop.com/transderm- ... mation.htm

My wife loves the ocean, however, she gets sea sick if she can't see the horizon and needs fresh air.

A few years ago, we went on a cruise from San Francisco to Alaska. Fortunately we were warned about a stationary front that was sending waves out of the SWS. So she got an Rx for Transderm Scop Patches

The Star Princess left a couple of hours late and the Captain after going under
The Golden Gate Bridge put the pedal down to the metal as we hit the potato patch outside the GGB. We were topside and she and probably half of the passengers on the decks started turning green.

The rock and rolling got worse after the pilot was dropped off and the ship turned to go north to Alaska.

Fortunately, I haven't ever gotten seasick inspite of riding out a few hurricanes in a small Navy Ship. I went to get some food for me and some Seven Ups and crackers for my wife. The big dining hall was basically empty. The stewards had packed bags of 7 UPs, crackers and wrapped snacks in bags for people like my wife.

Finally, my wife put on her patch and felt better in about an hour. I got her out on the deck by our room, and she had a couple of the 7 Ups and some crackers. She was able to go sleep while the big ship did the rock & roll and shimy/tremor.

She did one more patch and was fine for the rest of the trip. On the trip home, the waves were more head on, and she wasn't bothered.

On another cruise, she had the patch on an hour before we left and was fine and only one patch was necessary.

In our Oasis, aka Hobie's Battleship, she has never had even a twinge of sea sickness. Yesterday, we were on our local river and on the 2 mile trip up North, the wind was similiar to what we had on the Alaska cruise from the SWS. She had no problem going up, on a tour in a protected harbor and on the way back. Last week on Bodega Bay, again with a SWS wind, she had no problems.

You will should have no problem with a Hobie in the fresh air and the ability to see the horizon. If you do, you can try Dramamine tabs. If they don't work, get an Rx for the patch. If you get seasick, on the next trip put the patch on at least 30 minutes before yakking. Be sure to hydrate your self before putting the patch on, while it is on, and take it off when you get back to land, and more hydration without booze.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

CountryStyle......from my experience 50 years ago in the US Navy, stationed on a rocking/pitching/rolling DER Radar Pickett ship in the north Pacific....the short answer is yes.....I was slowly able to tolerate the motion for a wee bit longer before becoming sea sick.
My inner ear is very sensitive to motion and once our Corpsman/Doc gave me a handful of 100mg capsules of Benadryl....after consuming a single 100 mg capsule, I was over the sea sickness in 5 minutes.
Today, I carry 25 mg Benadryl capsules and only need a maximum of 75 mg to knock down sea sickness in the roughest of water conditions.......I wait until I get to sea to see how I am doing, then take 50 mg to start.......if I am still queasy, I take one more capsule.
Benadryl will make most people sleepy, but I do not have that reaction.
In short, the Benadryl relaxes my inner so I quickly become accustomed to the motion....even going into the interior of a boat....no problem. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:13 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

My wife is prone to sea sickness. She has never had a problem on her kayak.

Running boats all my life I found that if someone on the boat was starting to feel ill, I let them drive. For some reason this seemed to help.

I have really never heard of anyone getting sea sick on a kayak.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ranger908....As the old saying goes "sea sick happens"....even on a kayak! :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Funny thing - I have never felt remotely seasick on a surf board or a kayak. Put me on a 40 foot boat wallowing in a swell and I feel decidely queezy. I put it down to less roll when you are on a small vessel close to the water.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I used to carry 50 mg of Benadryl in case I had an allergic reaction to insects or whatever.

After a 6 hour unplanned nap after taking 50 mg of Benadryl, I carried an epi pen.

Now due to year round allergies, I'm on Allegra everyday, and that takes care of any reactions to something that doesn't like me.

Dr.SteelheadCatcher wrote:
CountryStyle......My inner ear is very sensitive to motion and once our Corpsman/Doc gave me a handful of 100mg capsules of Benadryl....after consuming a single 100 mg capsule, I was over the sea sickness in 5 minutes.
Today, I carry 25 mg Benadryl capsules and only need a maximum of 75 mg to knock down sea sickness in the roughest of water conditions.......I wait until I get to sea to see how I am doing, then take 50 mg to start.......if I am still queasy, I take one more capsule.

Benadryl will make most people sleepy, but I do not have that reaction.