Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sidekick Ama Adhesion
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It took a year, but I finally convinced my wife to try sailing on her Revolution 13. She agreed to try it if I added an Ama kit. I did, and she was an instant convert on Ama Trip One. Her one complaint was that she had to keep holding onto the sheet. No problem. I added a cam cleat to her boat (and mine). That was pronounced a winner on Ama Trip Two. See Hobie Grin here: Image

Which brings me to yesterday's Ama Trip Three. While sailing, one of the Ama bars came loose from her boat. No harm was done, the Ama floats after all, and my wife calmly came about, retrieved it, and reattached it to her boat. However, she had to keep monitoring it for the rest of the trip to prevent it from sliding off again.

As you know, the bar with the Ama attaches with a plastic insert that goes into the bar mounted on the boat. The plastic plug came unglued from the bar with the Ama, allowing it to slide free.

Would Marine Goop be a good glue to reattach it permanently? Would something else be better?

The original adhesive left a crumbly white powder.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My attempt to include a picture in the email above failed. Try this link instead https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/PkpIijtcK4A_Rp2ciAq_NRGlFFPxKChZs8-3pqHqZiM?feat=email

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:20 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The glue on mine failed as well. I used a small sheet metal screw to hold it together. (8x9/16) I love my AMA`s. Where did you put your wife`s cleat ?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:52 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

One of mine was loose right out of the package. Waterproof epoxy would be best.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

As to cleat placement, there are several strings about this on the forums somewhere, although I can't find them at the moment. I put the cleat on the rear edge of the right-hand mesh pocket per a picture that, I think, Roadrunner posted. Thanks also to these forums, I have fitted all of our boats with a longer sheet and small blocks in the back and front, so that the sheet is controlled by pulling back instead of pushing forward.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:01 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Is that a long sheet in your picture ? Can you post a picture of your cleat and blocks ?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

oldyaker wrote:
Is that a long sheet in your picture ? Can you post a picture of your cleat and blocks ?

The sheet is 20 feet long. Here is link to a picture of the front block and cam cleat together. https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/XozF2KV1yHnodsZPdA7hbN3HJ8XzS6T0mRybaa4NDgA?feat=email The boats are up on the car, which is why there is a strap across the middle and the boat is sideways.

Here is a link to the picture of the front block. https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/JyKvik7vHJd629wZqkdamd3HJ8XzS6T0mRybaa4NDgA?feat=email This one is a little bigger than it needs to be. I have the same thing on the metal pad eye at the back but I can't take a good picture of it right now because of how the boat is attached to the car.

Here is a picture of the cam cleat at the back edge of the mesh pocket. https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/F47GKBMdXqdqyeurjb63yd3HJ8XzS6T0mRybaa4NDgA?feat=email

All of this was based on what others have posted here.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

GOOP would most likely hold it in just fine. Clean it up as best you can.

A good 2-part epoxy is even better.

I had one that also failed - the epoxy was fine, I suspect the proper adhesive prep work on the mating surfaces is not being done.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:50 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I like the idea of pulling not pushing. I removed the bungie at the base of the sail and added an attachment (7"pvcpipe) to furl the sail (works great) I must install a cleat for this line also.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:58 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I put a screw here. Image