Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:35 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hello all. I'm new to the forum and new owner of 3 Hobie Mirage kayaks. I recently bought a used 09 Adventure, a used 09 Oasis, and a new Revo 13 w/Turbo (in transit).
Ok, now that the family's fleet is complete, I need to get a trailer that can be stored in my small garage and take up as little room as possible.

For trailers, I have my eyes on the Malone Microsport or the Yakima Rack and Roll. The Rack and roll seems very nice and can be stored almost flat against the wall, but the price motivates me to seek other options.

I want to be able to transport all three kayaks on the trailer and I feel more comfortable transporting the Oasis hull side up.

So my two dilemmas are: which trailer should I get and what rack/pad/attachment arrangement would best suit my needs?

I look forward to your feedback.

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If I had three kayaks and want to transport all at the same time, I would get the rack and roll trailer. I would use the j-cradles from malone. All three on the 78 inch bars. J-Cradles would have the three side by side at about 50 degree angle to the bars of the trailer. I do not have pictures, but do a search of malone and see the example of the j-cradles.

Not sure you would find any other trailer that will store flat in the garage unless you built a home made trailer for that purpose.

Good Luck

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the feedback Thinwater. After many many hours of Google research, I am still completely unsure of which route to go.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:27 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ok. I bit the bullet and ordered the Rack and Roll. It was pricey, but my space limitations made this the best option.

Now I have a new dilemma, my short garage and low ceiling eliminates the possibility of ceiling suspended storage. Right now, I have the Oasis and Adventure on a wall sling and the Revo 13 is, hull side up, on two sawhorses.

Can anyone recommend some solutions for storing my three kayaks, hull side up, on a wall mount or portable mount that could hold all three in the same vertical space?

Ideas, photos, and links are welcome.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have been using the Yakima Rack and Roll for a few weeks now and it has proven to be the best solution for my needs.

The product is very pricey but, when broken down in just minutes, it takes up less room than any other product out there.

If I had more room for storage, I would have chosen a more price conscience product but this product met my particular need.

It does not hurt that I get compliments at every drop in I have been to.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Wndrfl wrote:
Ok. I bit the bullet and ordered the Rack and Roll. It was pricey, but my space limitations made this the best option.

Now I have a new dilemma, my short garage and low ceiling eliminates the possibility of ceiling suspended storage. Right now, I have the Oasis and Adventure on a wall sling and the Revo 13 is, hull side up, on two sawhorses.

Can anyone recommend some solutions for storing my three kayaks, hull side up, on a wall mount or portable mount that could hold all three in the same vertical space?

Ideas, photos, and links are welcome.

Thanks!

I only have two boats, but I store them on their side, one on top of the other, against the garage wall. I have 4" thick foam pads under the bottom boat and the same size pads in between each boat. I had two Outfitters stored this way for two years and since I just sold one of the Outfitters, the new Revo 13 is the top boat (its lighter). I can post a picture later.

Keith