Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have still one more question to ask the sage members of this forum.

I would like to get a GPS to improve my sailing skills and help navigate in foggy weather. I have settled on something like the Garmin GPSMap 78 as it is waterproof (and floats) and has the features I need. I gather that this and most GPS devices will work better on mounting to the boat as opposed to being hand-held.

I am a bit phobic about drilling anything into the surface of the TI lest I cause some leaking. Are there any mounts which do not require drilling but will still securely hold the GPS onto the deck in salt water and wind? If not, any suggestions as to the best place to mount the GPS device.

Thanks again for all of your help

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just mounted a RAM ball fitting for my GPS on the port gunwale, just above the netting pocket. Big mistake for someone who carries their boat inverted on a roof rack. Now, after a sail, salt water from inside the hull runs down the inside of the gunwale and drips out around the fitting, all over the car. I'm just in the process of squirting silicone all around, to try and stem the flow.
If you don't want to drill your hull, you could use a Railblaza fitting, which clamps onto the akas, but that tends to leave your GPS a bit far away from where you're sitting.

PS, As I recall, a couple of members of the forum have commented that the GPSmap 78 is a backward step from the 76CSX, so it might be worth seeing if you can get one of those and also save some money.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

chrisj wrote:
I just mounted a RAM ball fitting for my GPS on the port gunwale, just above the netting pocket. Big mistake for someone who carries their boat inverted on a roof rack. Now, after a sail, salt water from inside the hull runs down the inside of the gunwale and drips out around the fitting, all over the car. I'm just in the process of squirting silicone all around, to try and stem the flow.
If you don't want to drill your hull, you could use a Railblaza fitting, which clamps onto the akas, but that tends to leave your GPS a bit far away from where you're sitting.

PS, As I recall, a couple of members of the forum have commented that the GPSmap 78 is a backward step from the 76CSX, so it might be worth seeing if you can get one of those and also save some money.

Thanks for this info. I will take a look at the Railblaza fitting. Does anyone have any suggestions re the different types of Garmin GPS devices?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Have a look at this thread: viewtopic.php?f=71&t=27236&p=180390

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:14 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

A couple points to ponder prior to purchase:

I had a 76xxx for one trip. The display was too small for my old eyes and I couldn't read the chart well enough for it to be worthwhile. I would suggest looking at one in person before you buy one to see if the screensize suits you. If you don't care about a chart, there are cheaper solutions.

As far as mounting on the aka goes, take a look from your seat at the aka. That's a long way away to see such a small device. It's even a longer way away to push any buttons on it. I had mine mounted on a ram mount just forward of where the aka brace attaches to the gunnel. Even in this position I had to lean forward to press any buttons.

I ended up with a 4" screen chart plotter on that mount and the screen is comfortably readable for me.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you're really keen to mount on your aka, Railblaza also sells a 60cm (2') camera boom which, I believe, can be adapted to take a GPS.

Post subject: Marine GOOP
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As an absolute rule, whenever I drill into the TI, I put a bead of Marine Goop in the hole and also a small amount spread on the mounting surface area. To my knowledge, I have never had any leakage either in or out. And I have had some pretty large chop crash onto the hull.
I also always use marine grade stainless screws and bolts. They don't corrode and last forever. With price of coated steel these days, the price differential is minimal.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a garmin nuvi 500. It is waterproof and have boating capabilities bult in. I used to have a fastrener to the AMAs (like a speedo to on a bike) however, I just keep it in my PFD pocked. This keeps it safe, I can see it any time I need it. It has safed me many times. My wife and I were out for an all day sail in Westernport bay Melbourne. Coming up to 5hrs we though we should turn back; I believed we needed to head NNW, she wanted me to head NW. This was only a few degrees out but would have popped on another 2-3hrs to the return trip. So I got my trusty GPS and she (the GPS) told me that my wife was correct. If I had not have had my GPS my wife would not have been happy. Remember happy wife happy life :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I bought a Lowrance Elite4-DSi fishfinder/chart plotter, plus a Navionics Silver MicroSD card, which includes the whole coast of Australia (to 10 metres depth).

This is mounted on a RAM mount on the rail, with extensions to bring it closer to my old eyes, with a bungee cord taking some of the weight.
I have since ditched the cover, as I found it too difficult to see past the extra reflections caused by the plastic cover, and have reverted to a taller version of my "kitchen canister" spray shield, which effectively protects the unit from high-pressure spray when an aka meets the bow wave

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Paul67 wrote:
I have a garmin nuvi 500. It is waterproof and have boating capabilities bult in. I used to have a fastrener to the AMAs (like a speedo to on a bike) however, I just keep it in my PFD pocked. This keeps it safe, I can see it any time I need it. It has safed me many times. My wife and I were out for an all day sail in Westernport bay Melbourne. Coming up to 5hrs we though we should turn back; I believed we needed to head NNW, she wanted me to head NW. This was only a few degrees out but would have popped on another 2-3hrs to the return trip. So I got my trusty GPS and she (the GPS) told me that my wife was correct. If I had not have had my GPS my wife would not have been happy. Remember happy wife happy life :D

Thanks for this info and advice

Did you need to install optional maps into the Garmin or were the ones they provided adequate for the task.

Happy sailing.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well with the 500 you do need to install a marine map; however, it can be any map to get the benefits. I found this website that gave me the map and showed me how to use it.

I have had it not for 2 or 3 years and it works a treat. The good thing if that it is a file that you can add or remove at any time.

The web site is http://www.last-outpost.com/~malakai/garmin/index.html

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I put the Elite4 on my AI with a low RAM mount. The unit is powered by two UPS batteries and charged with solar. I've had it on non-stop for 7 days before I got bored and turned it off. What the unit used over night in complete darkness the batteries had back the next day. 5 Minutes to hook up and or remove.
Heavy silicone top and bottom transducer is through hull. Not the best but fits my needs. I'd rather have holes on top than under water

Garmin GPS 78
Standard Horizon HX 751
2 12V 700ma batteries in Parallel
Solar charging
Ritchie Compass
14 days of electronics easy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

And by the way...I used the over the counter 25 year stuff.
I play on Lake Havasu once or twice a year but mostly Ocean. I have done Channel Island Harbor to Anacapa twice. Not so much as a drop of water in the hull.
I can provide a parts list if you want to go as crazy as I have. While it is over-kill, my first trip the fog came in on me on the way back to CI and that was not fun. I hit the beach 6 miles away from my intended landing.

Garmin GPS 78
Standard Horizon HX 751
2 12V 700ma batteries in Parallel
Solar charging
Ritchie Compass
14 days of electronics easy