Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Several experts in the forum have suggested adding a wind vane/indicator to the mast in order to help a new sailor like myself improve skills. Does anyone have a suggestion as to a specific make or model-hopefully one which will not require too much in the way of installation?
Thank you for all of the knowledge and help provided by the members of this forum!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I cannot be sure what is available in the market where you are, but I bought a "Windward" indicator. I dispensed with the arms designed to show the limits, which are irrelevant with a rotating mast. Mine cost me about $24.

I bought a PVC pipe joiner from my local hardware store, which slips perfectly over the webbing on the mast-top. Two self-tapper screws hold it in place. I then got a 2 inch piece of clear plastic tube, and fitted some dowel in the bottom half. I then attached this inside the PVC with a couple of nuts & bolts (the dowel stops the tube crushing). The bottom of the wind indicator is a firm push fit into the top half of the tube. I also added some reflective tape under the indicator arm, for visibility at night (my removable 360 degree masthead light provides illuminiation)
If I forget to fit it before sailing, it feels the same as driving my car without doing up my seatbelt! It really does make it lots easier to optimise sail trim and steering...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I just slip this wind indicator between the mast and the sail. The arms keep it from sliding down. cheap, simple and works great.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A absolute no worries approach would be to add a 2 ft ribbon (in your team color) tied in half to the top batten of your TI sail. Similar to this approach by Kayak Bob.

Having two tails gives you a little more useful information in light and gusty winds.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

While underway, are these sort of devices not affected by apparent wind? Will they continue to show actual wind direction or will they not just deflect to rearward of whatever direction the boat is traveling?

On a similar note, the lake I sail on has a golf course on one side. I like to use the flags on the green to take wind direction headings. Sunday, I was moving towards one of the greens to take a reading and just as I got in line with the flag, a foursome walked up on the green and one of the guys pulled the flag and dropped it on the green. He never knew the cussing he got from the guy on the water.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

dpstivers wrote:
I just slip this wind indicator between the mast and the sail. The arms keep it from sliding down. cheap, simple and works great.

This sounds great.

Could you please let me know where you purchased this indicator? Also, can you describe in more detail how you put it on the mast--or better yet show a picture of it in action.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom Kirkman wrote:
While underway, are these sort of devices not affected by apparent wind? Will they continue to show actual wind direction or will they not just deflect to rearward of whatever direction the boat is traveling?

On a similar note, the lake I sail on has a golf course on one side. I like to use the flags on the green to take wind direction headings. Sunday, I was moving towards one of the greens to take a reading and just as I got in line with the flag, a foursome walked up on the green and one of the guys pulled the flag and dropped it on the green. He never knew the cussing he got from the guy on the water.

Tom, of course the wind indicator shows apparent wind! To find out the TRUE wind (if no golf courses are handy!), you need GPS data capable of measuring the true course over ground, and combining this with electronic information regarding the masthead wind indicator direction, to calculate the true wind.

BUT... The sails don't give a damn, as they use the APPARENT wind. So a simple indicator is all you need!

And dpstivers, my installation cost me about $5 for the pvc collar and hardware, not excessive. Because the mast rotates, those red squares are just a distraction in my opinion, and you might as well cut them off, still using the inner ends to prevent the indicator axle sliding down between the sail and the mast.

NOHUHU, I have seen KayakingBob's ribbon, and it is a great way to ID different craft, but I have noticed that the leftover string from the top batten tends to point in a slightly different direction due to it being "behind" some of the sail, which bends the airstream. That's why I put my indicator about a foot above the top of the sail.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

about $15 at any marine supply.
just slide the shaft between the sail and the mast.