Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just like to post my first experience with my new PA 12. First, I ordered one sight unseen after reading all the great reviews everyone has posted on this forum and others. It arrived at my house and was promptly unwrapped and setup. I wasn't able to take it out because of work obligations and had to wait 3 whole days! My first day out was on Sunday when 25 mph winds were forecasted.

I went to a small 70 acre lake near my house and launched without any issues. The Mirage drive is amazing and efficient but took a little getting used to. I fished down the lake while drifting with the wind for about a quarter mile or so and the skies started looking bad so I headed back to the launch. The wind was blowing so hard that the small lake had white caps on it! I was first pedeling with long full strokes but that was quickly tiring me in the wind. It seemed that if I pedeled with short quick strokes I moved much quicker and with less effort in the strong wind.

Anyhow, I made it back to the launch and as I was tying the boat down in the back of my truck, the skies opened up and I got soaked. All in all it was a great day for the few hours I was out on the lake. I caught 3 nice bass and am now loving kayak fishing. The wife will also be happy because I'll quit bugging her to buy a bass boat!!!

Thanks Hobie for a great product!!

Shawn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Congrats on your new PA...When I bought my 14, the dealer explained to me that the mirage drive is more efficient with half strokes. Easier to pedal and will move faster...So far it would seem that the dealer was right...At least with my PA 8)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Did you order it online? I didn't know we could do that. Can somebody steer me towards a reputable online dealer?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Austin Canoe and Kayak is very reputable. They ship nation wide and will give you a %15 discount on all accessories.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yep, that's where I got mine. Would rather pay shipping than my state sales tax and it was delivered to my door in 4 days. Didn't need to drive an hour to pick it up from my local dealer. Just hope it's not an issue with warranty since Hobie's warranty says you have to take it to the dealer where you purchased it unless you moved.

Shawn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:24 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
We'd also like a shot @ your biz:
http://sunjammers.com/item/view/440-Hobie-Pro-Angler-12

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yakin4Fish wrote:
Austin Canoe and Kayak is very reputable. They ship nation wide and will give you a %15 discount on all accessories.

Not hobie accessories. Make sure you ask when you order hobie products. But all other name brand products accessories they will give you a discount.

When you purchase a kayak all accessories purchased at the same time receive a 15% discount. This discount is automatically applied in the shopping cart, just add the kayak and add the accessories, you will see the discount in the "Discount" line in the shopping cart. Our prices are all up front pricing, there are no hidden charges, what we say is true. We really do ship kayaks directly to your house for $49*, there is no need to go to some shipping terminal. We do not hide any fees, we provide true pricing up front and some of the fastest shipping to be found on the internet. We live by our reputation and will always be upfront and honest.
*Hobie products are not eligible for any free shipping and HI & AK are $14.95 flat *Hobie kayaks and accessories, Thule and Yakima products as well as trailers, electronics and gift certificates are not eligible for any discounts

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The folks at Austin Canoe and Kayak are some of the best people I've ever dealt with. No offense to anyone else intended. I purchased my PA12 through them along with a number of accessories and the whole experience was seamless. I'm new to kayak fishing and they were very helpful with regards to helping me figure out what I might need for the boat as well as a transport system for the top of my vehicle. I never once felt they were trying to sell me something I didn't need and that speaks volumes to me. 5 stars from basskicker. :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I just ordered my Pro Angler 12 yesterday but it will not be to my dealer until November. I am OK with that but wish it was sooner. I scheduled a test ride at the dealership for yesterday and between the time I made the appointment and yesterday someone came in and purchased all three that he had left. The guy could not easily transport them all home at once so he agreed to leave one behind so I could test drive it. I did so yesterday. I never used a mirage drive but within the ten minutes I was using it I discovered the same thing. Half strokes produced more speed and was less taxing than full strokes. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Heard some folks were out buying up the 2012 PA 12's in anticipation of selling them for a profit after the 2013's come out with the big price increase:roll: Not sure if the "profit" would be worth all that trouble or not?