Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: stand up and pedal
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:12 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I attached adjustable length poles to the drive to help my tired legs. I can use the poles alone or push with one foot and pull with the other arm. They`re long enough so with my ama kit I can stand-up and pedal. Later I plan to add better grips on the ends. Good work-out for the upper body. :D [img][img][/img][/img][img]http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee418/oldyaker1/adjpoles010.jpg[img][/img][/IMG]ImageImage

Post subject: Re: stand up and pedal
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:14 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:16 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Where is the video of it in action?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:49 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Video? I just upgraded to a flip phone. :D

Last edited by oldyaker on Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Actually, this could be a serious accessory for people without the full use of their legs.

Keith

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I like the idea and the posibilities!!! What are the extensions? or extension poles?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Looks like the basic poles you would get at your local home improvement store for extending a paint roller or a scrub brush/window washer setup for the outside of the house. Those poles are aluminum and fairly light.

Interesting adaptation of the product. I might look at putting some kind of T-handle on the pole and maybe even figuring out how to ensure they don't twist and release on you by accident. Maybe a bit of duct tape around the extension point once you have the length dialed in? If the extension clamp (whatever it is called) released under pressure, especially while standing, it might throw your balance off dangerously.

-Bob

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:30 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Is this better than just paddling, standing up? I don't see much advantage... :?:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The poles I used are car-wash mops from wal-mart.Image I used these because of the double swivel .(up-down,left-right)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:41 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

(censored) wrote:
Is this better than just paddling, standing up? I don't see much advantage... :?:

Standing up isn`t too exciting but the extra push for your legs is a big big help.Especially in a head wind. A little push with your hand sure makes a differance. Today I was at emerald bay in tahoe where the speed limit is 15mph. I was side by side with the other boats. I`ll have to get a SPEEDO.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:51 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

bsee wrote:
Looks like the basic poles you would get at your local home improvement store for extending a paint roller or a scrub brush/window washer setup for the outside of the house. Those poles are aluminum and fairly light.

Interesting adaptation of the product. I might look at putting some kind of T-handle on the pole and maybe even figuring out how to ensure they don't twist and release on you by accident. Maybe a bit of duct tape around the extension point once you have the length dialed in? If the extension clamp (whatever it is called) released under pressure, especially while standing, it might throw your balance off dangerously.

-Bob

I found out today that if you drop one pole between your legs, you want to stop all movement NOW!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

oldyaker wrote:
(censored) wrote:

Standing up isn`t too exciting but the extra push for your legs is a big big help.Especially in a head wind. A little push with your hand sure makes a differance. Today I was at emerald bay in tahoe where the speed limit is 15mph. I was side by side with the other boats. I`ll have to get a SPEEDO.

I can see the benefits if you have a health issue that precludes pedaling. I can see it as a stand-up alternative to using a paddle, and I can see it as an add-on to pedaling in the seated position. On the other hand, I would question whether the stand-up use would be more efficient than using a paddle, and whether using a paddle as well as the pedals would have generate more speed than the arm-assisted pedal stroke.

Much of that would come down to the cadence rate at which the Mirage is effective and the strength of the driver. Since I don't own one, I can't say for sure, but I suspect that there is a sweet spot in terms of cadence to get the best speed out of the drive, and that additional pedal speed above that either provides minimal extra performance relative to the effort, or could even be counter-productive. That will likely differ for the different fins as well.

I find a smooth paddle stroke to be relatively effortless, so I would expect that I might be happier paddling while pedaling to either take a little pressure off the pedal stroke or generate a little extra speed.

In any case, if it works for you, it might work for someone else. It also might be the oddball idea that leads someone down a revolutionary path, so kudos for thinking outside the box.

-bob

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:46 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The "push-poles" are better for me while pedaling rather than pedal-paddle because of my ama kit. The down fall for me is that I must stop both pushing and pedaling to adjust the rudder but you would only have to stop paddling. I know that the drive well seal is a must. My big fear is breaking a mast. I used the poles with out my legs and it`s just too much work to be fun.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I bet this would be a good balance aid when standing if needed. If you could rig an easily removeable strap or something between the poles, it might even make a decent leaning post when stand-up fly fishing?