Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have found that one of my favorite ways to fish with the new PA 12 is to stand and fish while drifting along with the tidal current. I might add that I fish primarily inshore marsh/creeks.

The only problem I am having while fishing like this is that I must squat down each time I need to make a correction with my rudder. Old knees seem not to work as well as they once did :mrgreen:

Time to put on your thinking caps :!: I am trying to figure out a way to make some sort of an extension that would fit over the rudder handle that would allow me to steer the rudder while still standing. Has anyone thought of doing something like this. Would like to hear from you.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If your goal is to turn the boat, not necessarily the rudder, then why not just use the paddle? You could leave the paddle leaning against the back of the seat, and lean back to grab it occasionaly to take a stroke or two. Just my $0.02, but this seems a lot easier than some sort of bolt-on rudder control extension.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Use the Force! (Seriously, yak fishing =/= Star Wars? There is no "Hobie Wan Kenobie" poster here?!? :lol: )

I can't think of a way that wouldn't easily fall over... I thought of PCV piping with a hole cut near the bottom on one side that the handle could slip in with a 'mousehole' cut out on the other side so that it could lean backwards and possibly be out of the way and work like a rudder but I'm not sure if that material is easy to cut like that... and would be tippy left or right if the holes weren't just so. Maybe two holes, one slightly higher than the other and fit the steering handle through both if the holes had a flat bottom (not just round holes)?

Alternatively maybe on the other side where I believe there's a dial (might have the PA's mixed up) a thin PVC pipe with a slot/slit cut across the bottom to fit over the line on the dial? Would vicegrips squeezed on the bottom hold it on? Both might need leashes...

Top either with a bad a$$ skull shifter 8)

Just trying to brainstorm as I can see fine tuning the steering while standing could be handy... I don't even have a yak, let alone have any experience tweaking things... My $0.02 comes with change back :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:16 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I stand and fish quite often but chose the paddle route. I used a Native paddle clip and mounted it on an old heavy belt. That way I can stand and fish with the paddle clipped in at my waist so that it's readily acessible. When I need to turn I just unclip it for a stroke or two and then clip it back in.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

been thinking about the same thing ............ that idea about a PVC pipe with a slot to fit over the regular handle of the Hobie steering handle would probably work ............. thnaks for the idea

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I found a well placed drift chute can work wonders.

2020 Hobie Outback

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

redgrappler wrote:
I found a well placed drift chute can work wonders.

Can't use drift chute. Far too many oyster beds :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've been thinking about this too. But I want to get my h bar here and mounted before I do anything.

This simple way would be a standup length paddle leaned on the bar. The complicated way... Been thinking of some type of choke lever from a riding lawn mower mounted on the h bar that would move the lever via a cable. Trick will be the bar going up and down and not having to disconnect the cable each time.

Old Outback - SOLD

It's called "Fishing" for a reason...Otherwise, it would be called "Catching"

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I will begin with the admission that I have no drift fishing experience on which to base my comment. But... if you are "drifting" along with the tidal current, why would your rudder work at all? The rudder only works when there is some resistance against it, like when the rudder (and boat) is moving faster than the water around it. Unless the wind is blowing you along faster than the current, or in a contrary direction, why would moving the rudder provide any navigational control whatsoever?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Not sure, but it does.

Old Outback - SOLD

It's called "Fishing" for a reason...Otherwise, it would be called "Catching"