Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Instance #1:
With sails down, I gently trailered the boat out of the water at the launch. About 20 yards out of the water as I was pulling over to the side (for the purpose of lowereing the mast) and I saw in my rear-view mirror the mast falling to port. Upon inspection, I found no breakage. The starboard shroud was free with the extender still secured to the hull. A single clevis pin was found with no sign of the split ring. No damage was found and fortunately, no one was hurt.

Instance #2:
While sailing windward to port in 12k winds with a friend, we heard a "pop." I looked to starboard and saw the starboard shroud swinging free. Upon inspection (while underway) I found the extender still attached to the shroud but the clevis pin & split ring were missing where the extender attaches to the swivel. With the wind to port, I removed the twist toggle and used its clevis pin to attach the shroud extender to the swivel directly (sans twist toggle) while we were still underway. Obviously, due to the unequal stress being applied, we returned to the marina and fortunately didn't have any other problems.

Summary: twice now, in less than 2 weeks, the starboard standing rigging has failed at the connecting points with use of OE clevis pin and split rings at 2 close but different points.

My question is, why is this happening? My first guess is the split rings are failing because they are the weakest point, but it seems unlikely, since they are also receiving the least amount of strain. Additionally, if they are breaking due to this stress, then why would they be OE? That just counters my first guess, hence why I'm confused.

Any ideas?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:57 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

That is bad news, hope the mast is OK and nobody was hurt.

Are you using the thicker split rings? I have found that the thicker material ones are also easier to get on, i have been buying them at west marine. Also are yu using the black rubber protectors over the shroud connections? I have them and they do a good job of protecting the split rings. I have heard of some people taping them also.

I would also check for signs of wear on the split rings.

Good Luck.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What kind of rings are you using? Some (hobie style) are lighter weight and take 3 turns to get on. Others are heavier (west marine) and only take one twist. I've been debating which are more reliable.

I've been lucky enough not to drop my mast but I've seen many rings get snagged on a rope or life vest. Beach wheels tied around the shrouds are a major offender in this category.

I replace any deformed or worn ring the minute it looks questionable and always check the shrouds before I launch. It's cheap insurance.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Scott,

By coincidence I went out to my boat yesterday and taped the split rings on my shroud adjusters. I had done it years ago but the tape was gone. I can't see any other reason for your pins to come out than that the rings worked their way off. Do you have a righting line that goes around the shrouds? If so it could be hooking on to the rings (?).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:18 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hobie Rule 1: All ring dings must be taped.

Hobie Rule 2: All sharp edges must be taped. Entry to the water may be sudden and unsuspected.

Rule 3 might be to buy stock in an electrical tape company. These things run on electrical tape.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My stretch righting line snagged a split ring and pulled it right out of the shroud anchor. I tacked, the clevis pin plopped out and the mast went over. Ever since then I use split pins (cotter pins) and twist the ends into a complete circle so they don't catch on anything. My boat stays on the beach though so I don't have to raise and lower the mast all the time. Most of the guys I sail with use split rings with tape.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:03 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

If you don't take your boat apart regularly, there's no reason to use split rings on the bits that aren't taken apart. Use cotter pins and tape around them to cover the sharp edges.

Tape down your split rings.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Well, thank you all for your responses. It sounds unanimous: tape. I'll start doing that and the next time I get to a marine hardware store, I'll buy the heavier duty rings. Again, thanks for all the advice.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Scott, I'm partial to the black rubber protectors as suggested by Chet3. That's what I use, and I don't know, doesn't taping things with black electrical tape look kind of tacky? IMO
Hope you've had some good sailing on the river up there; the coast has been nice also. I need to get out.....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:40 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ooops!! My bad. I meant ... wrap the the ring dings at the chainplates with tape, wrap the ring dings in the shroud adjusters with tape, wrap the top of the shroud adjusters with tape, then slide the vinyl shroud adjuster covers over the whole works.

And for completeness wrap the shackle on the bridle wires (so it can't back out), wrap the ring ding in the forestay adjuster with tape, wrap the top of the forestay adjuster with tape. Then think about whether you'd like to order another vinyl cover for the forestay adjuster.

I'm assuming you've heavily wrapped your swages at the top of the forestay and the shrouds to protect the mast. And drilled and safety wired the shackle that holds everything together on the tang. Or at least made sure it was tight and taped.

Tape anything else that might damage a projectile launched from the back of the trampoline.

(I really should recommend the brand of electrical tape that I own shares in.)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you do not want to use vinyl electrical tape look at rigging tape. It only sticks to itself so it does not leave a residue like electrical tape. It works great, especially for connections that are not undone very often.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

""(I really should recommend the brand of electrical tape that I own shares in.)""

I used to think all electrical tape was the same till I bought 10 rolls at princess auto. the stuff wouldn't even stick to itself.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Do you use cat trax wheels
I have fought wire rings being pulled out on the Hobie 16
with the wheel ropes being tied to the shrouds
I use SS locking nuts and bolts on the 21 and have never had any issues in 20 years and will this week do the same thing on the 16
Some things on a hobie do not need to be quick release
A cat house key will remove a nut and bolt as fast as a pin and ring
The last thing that is checked before launch is the critical parts which include these pins
Former Hobie Admiral Gary

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:17 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

(Rebuttal)

1. I think what I'm using is Princess Auto tape. After a while it gets little unstuck "ribbons" trailing off things that are taped. But nothing lasts forever and it is cheap, after all. Check and retape.

2. I owned my 21 for about sixteen years and the mast only fell off once. That was a broken shroud. At the top swage, kept mast up on the beach and sailed a lot. Matt Bounds was right about that. But no pulled ring dings. They were all taped. With Princess Auto tape.

(end rebuttal)

Have a Hobie Day!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Admiral Gary,
Interesting idea on the SS bolt and nut. I agree, not all things need to be quick release. I have not heard the term cat house key before...is that a term for the hobie tool? Please clarify. Thanx.
BigWhoop....are you responsible for the giftwrapping in your household...? :lol: