Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I got tired of water getting into my hull everytime I came in and out of the surf zone. I have a manual, bilge pump but that wasn't enough. So I installed a bilge pump system to aid with the water intrusion while youre dealing with everything else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYeZbJI ... ata_player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm sure you manually added water inside your PA for the sake of the video. However, if your getting that much water inside your kayak when launching/returning through the surf, that looks like an unsual amount.

The only place I can think of that you would get that much water would be through your front hatch. Have you tried weather stripping or some other type of seal that would give you a better seal on the front hatch?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

carsautotech wrote:
I got tired of water getting into my hull everytime I came in and out of the surf zone. I have a manual, bilge pump but that wasn't enough. So I installed a bilge pump system to aid with the water intrusion while youre dealing with everything else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYeZbJI ... ata_player

Great setup :) Where is the battery located, and how much juice does it take to run that thing? Can the sump be moved around to whatever section of the PA you want? (generally the lowest section where water is going to puddle)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The battery sits on the right side of the tackle box inside the hull. As far as upgrading the
weatherstrip, yes that is on the agenda. I'd like to do something like the adventure islands front hatch. It has weatherstrip in the hatch and the opening of the kayak. This would create a double seal.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:56 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Out of curiosity, why did you mount it up front instead of the back of the yak??

When mine takes on water there seems to be more in the back than up front.

Also, what kind of battery setup do you have...............ie, what kind of battery?
Will it run on 8 3A's in a series, like a fish finder will??

Thanks for any information you share.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I use a 12v. Deer feeder battery. This runs my fish finder and bilge pump. I placed it in the front so I could reach the plug while on the water. Also to see when it done pumping all the water out. I'm sure you could the battery pack that you talking about, but the running time would be shorten due to the amp/hrs on the batteries compared to the ones on the deer feeder battery. Nice to hear from you Mythman.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You should be able to make your Pro-Angler water tight.

If you have filled it with water and none appears to leak out, then it is reasonably safe to assume that any water in the hull is coming in from topside.

Take a garden hose and with a high pressure nozzle direct a steady stream of water on and around each fitting, one at a time. Checking inside the hull after each fitting is water tested.

At some point you will no doubt find that one of more lets water in. Some Goop and careful re-asssembly should eliminate any leaks. If the front hatch is the culprit, an extra seal around the hatch lid itself could work wonders.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here is a link to a topic on how to check your kayak for leaks. This system should be an easy way to find where your kayak is leaking.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=12575

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

islandspeed2001 wrote:
I'm sure you manually added water inside your PA for the sake of the video. However, if your getting that much water inside your kayak when launching/returning through the surf, that looks like an unsual amount.

The only place I can think of that you would get that much water would be through your front hatch. Have you tried weather stripping or some other type of seal that would give you a better seal on the front hatch?

The other place is the horizontal rod holders. Place rubber balls in the lower two holders. This will reduce the mount of water that comes over the sides and dips forward before the water has time to slide out of the mirage drive hole. I know what I am saying, but does it make sense? Help

Here is a site where mythman has picts of his new PA 14 with tennis balls in the rod holders holes.

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 8&t=184278

Good luck.

Last edited by Thinwater skinner on Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Newb here. I just bought a tandem outfitter. I am 356 lbs. Almost sunk it with me and my kid. Gave it to him and bought the pro angler 14. It takes on water also. Where in the hell soes it come from? It has to be the rudder. I just siliconed the rudder hatch. Wth? Water can get in there. It took about an hour and a half for the pro to fill with about 10 gallons or better and it sucked. There is a problem. Help me fix it please because I love this damn kayak!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

jpierce wrote:
Newb here. I just bought a tandem outfitter. I am 356 lbs. Almost sunk it with me and my kid. Gave it to him and bought the pro angler 14. It takes on water also. Where in the hell soes it come from? It has to be the rudder. I just siliconed the rudder hatch. Wth? Water can get in there. It took about an hour and a half for the pro to fill with about 10 gallons or better and it sucked. There is a problem. Help me fix it please because I love this damn kayak!

I doubt water is leaking through the rudder cover. Even if it was though, its unlikely that any water that leaked into the space under the cover would collect in amounts that you said was coming into the hull...If you purchased the PA recently, I would contact your dealer and describe the problem. Your PA should still be under warranty, and Hobie is very good with fixing warranty issues. If that much water is seeping in, it sounds like a cracked hull somewhere. Your dealer should be able to help you, or fix it for you...Or replace the PA if need be... :|

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The area inside the rudder hatch on the PA does not empty inside the hull. You can remove the hatch and pour water in that compartment and it will just drain back out - it will not enter the interior of the hull.

Take the boat outside and aim a good hard stream of garden hose water at each hatch opening for a minute or so. Then check the inside to see if any water got in. If so, remove the fasteners and re-install with GOOP on the mating surfaces, including the fasteners.

If no water enters the hull topside, pour a couple or three gallons inside the hull and start looking underneath for any areas that show water leaking out. Small pinholes can also be patched permanently with GOOP. Larger cracks or splits require stronger measures, or hull replacement.