Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shroud adjustment?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My apologies if this has been answered in the past. I did a little searching and din't really find any definitive answer.

We were out sailing our Getaway for the first time this past weekend and in light winds on light to moderate powerboat chop noticed the mast really wagging back & forth. How tight should the shrouds be set? Is there a rule of thumb like "they should deflect X inches when pushed/pulled"?

Post subject: Re: Shroud adjustment?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Since there are no turnbuckles on the boat the only way to tighten the rig is to drop one hole on the side stay adjusters. You can't get it real tight but you can reduce the slop to a minimal amount.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So do we go as tight as we can get it (evenly)? I've not been able to find any documentation saying just how tight they should be.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would not over tighten them, I don't think the boat is designed to have the rig tight all the time. I could be wrong Mat would have to chime in here.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I too have a new Getaway. I bought the Catamaran video and watch that. I believe the guy said third hole or middle hole was a good position.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:34 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I don't have a Getaway or sail one. But I did race a Hobie 18 once upon at time. Same kind of rig tightness adjustment. Our solution was to put the rig up with one side as loose as it would go. That'd be the top hole. That makes it easy to put the forestay on. Then put a largish guy on the wire (careful, a bigger than normal largish guy can pull the boat right over, just sayin') and then you can move the stay down to third hole down or fourth hole, or whatever you want. Then maybe go do it on the other side if you need one more hole over there. The biggish guy can bounce a bit and the other guy, or girl, can pop the pin in at the bottom of the bounce.

Disclaimer: I have no idea if this tight a rig is a good plan on a Getaway. It was on an 18.

Have a Hobie day!

Charles

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the help thus far gang. I can't believe something like this isn't published somewhere?? I think we'll leave it as-is for the time being and hope that eventually there is some definitive Getaway specific offering here. Love the boat - would hate to mess it up.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You can tighten the shrouds as much as you like (well, almost...).
Simply use the main sheet block as a powerfull
pulley, connect the block to one of the trapeze wires and the other side to the wing using a rope (improvise a strong grip).
Now you can tighten as much as you wish.
I would be carefull here and remember this is a flexable plastic boat, use your sence...
I noticed that when the shrouds are too tight, the jib roller is hard to role (grease helped just a bit), this might also give you a clue if you tighten too much.
Good luck from Israel...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:12 am 
Site Admin

There would be no standard pin position as there are many variables. Simply tighten the shrouds as described above. Your boat will likely vary from another due to forstay pin position, bow deflection, trampoline tension, plastic distortion. There is no perfect setting on any boat due to variations of all kinds.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just had a horrid experience. I was sailing in moderate chop (no whitecaps) and moderate wind (10 mph). I was close to a reach, and the mast happened to be turned so the arrows lined up. I hit a wave, and there was enough freedom in the mast to shock the jib line. One of the two pins at the bottom of the jib sheared (not the one you adjust, but the one above that), and the mast fell. The damage to the mast seemed minimal, some buffing on the ball and a bit of shaved aluminum (1/32" thick) at the bottom of the mast.

1) Can I replace the jib bolt, tighten the stays so the arrows cannot line up while sailing?

2) Has anyone else had this happen?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:02 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I don't understand.

The base of the mast and the ball are a ball and socket joint. Whether the arrows are aligned or not there is a huge amount of freedom of movement. As there needs to be for the rake to be adjusted and for the mast to rotate.

What happened was the mast was pumping around and the pin in the forestay sheared. Or the ring ding got pulled out and the pin fell off. I've never seen a pin break but I've seen pins fall out from missing ring dings and masts fall down. Even done a few myself that way. I'm not telling you what happened, I wasn't there, you were. But I know which way I'd bet.

The First Law of Hobie: All ring dings must be taped.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree with the above. The alignment of the arrows on the mast base/front crossbar is inconsequential. Their only purpose is to remind the owner that the mast must be rotated during raising or lowering, otherwise you'll break the mast base. If the shrouds are too loose or you break a clevis pin, the mast will come off the step regardless of the position of the arrows.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I appreciate the comments. I am going to use safety wire and duct tape on all the pin dings. And, I'm not positive about the ring ding, I didn't install it and didn't check it; it was the upper one that connected at the jib, not the lower one that can be adjusted. What made me think the pin snapped was the loud snap just before the mast fell, which sounded like the pin popping.

As far as aligning the arrows not mattering, I'm not so sure. Let's say the mast is pointed at 0 degrees. There is freedom of movement, but it is limited by the bolt holding the ball hits the inside of the mast. But, at 90 degrees, it has free movement.

The good news is that I've had someone look at possible mast damage, and I was lucky enough to have it be very minor and superficial. But, I'm going to tighten the side stays to restrict the mast movement to ~+/- 45 degrees, wire as well as tape and safety wire the ring dings. I appreciate the suggestion of taping, I just thought damp tape tends to come undone, but duct tape does tend to hold for a while, and I can always replace it. Thanks for the suggestions.