Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom Kirkman wrote:
Very odd, mine has been nothing short of perfect.

2X for me too!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ive had my PA for 3 years now...I've had it in all types of weather conditions...And I've launched in various ways (from shore, boat ramps, etc.)...Carried it on my truck roof top and in truck bed with the bed extender...I've used Hobie's kayak cart through the scupper holes to go over rocks, beach and rough terrain...

I've NEVER had any prooblems with cracks...Knock on wood :wink: ...BUT...I've never sat in the PA when it was out of the water, or loaded it with heavy gear when it was on the cart, before having the PA in the water, or been rough with it while pulling it over rocks...The PA might have a high load capacity, but ONLY when its in the water. Remember...Its only Polyethylene :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I never have sat in a kayak on dry land.......however, I use my kayaks about 45-50 trips per year and all of that is offshore. But in the Pro Angler, I seldom go offshore if the waves are over two feet.

I started taking on water and purchased a pump to pump it out with. Made a trip to a rig 2 miles offshore and had to pump it out a couple of time just to get back to the beach. Put water in the yak and no leak was detected. Went out and not much water inside the hull.

Then I took a trip in a windy/wavy conditions and I started getting a whole lot of water in my hull. I had to pump it out a couple of time as it was getting tippy on me. My pump was very stiff and a pain to pump. I caught a 5 ft shark, released it and said to myself " put everything up, pump it out and head for the beach". As I turned to put a rod in the rod holders on my crate, I felt the kayak start rolling to one side and before I could straighten up, over I went. Yes, I rolled my kayak in 25 ft of water. I remember thinks as I was going over "This can't be happening" and then I was under water.

I righted the yak and with the aid of other kayakers re-entered to find the yak was 2/3 full of water. Another yaker had a better pump and I pumped it out enough to get to shore.

I just knew it was that 6 in hatch in the tank well and I put scupper plugs in the tank well and filled it with water.............nothing, nada!!!!

Plugged the four scupper under the seat and filled that area with water and thought I could hear water gushing. Opened the middle hatch and I could see water gushing..............no wonder I been taking on water.

My crack was over on the left side where the two cockpit trays meet.

I contacted my dealer and in 3-4 weeks had me a new Hobie PA........replace under warranty. Took it out and it was dry! :D

These yaks are made of plastic and they can and do have problems. However, with a strong warranty program like Hobie practices, it will all work out.

I am a happy paddler! :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That is exactly where my crack is along with another 6" crack right in front of the seat screw down......

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello

What are the chances the difference between it cracking and "never cracked on me" is the weight of the user? It takes 600lbs (14') but I imagine that is a technical "if you found a hobie sized 600lb weight to go across it it won't sink" but how is it reinforced around the seat and where you stand? I'd think that toolbox in the floor might weaken it (or alternatively be extra supporting structure) and half the allotted weight on the chair might be too much in the one one/four areas.

Speaking of the (new) chair, is there any weight specified on it? I know if I get a camp chair, I gotta get a good one as not just any one would do - and that includes "fancy looking" expensive camp chairs, not just $15 specials. I would think Hobie would have to specify on it somewhere - would anyone who has one know? Or a Hobie moderator?

I know the PA is made well but, like the camp chairs, there's still a difference between "OK for a 225lbs big guy" and, well, me :lol: Now that I have to wait until next year to get one ( :cry: and I had wanted to get one to take camping in a week and a half :cry: ) I guess I have time to review these specifics... With the price increase, if the weight's an issue, I might still be on a lookout for an alternative (though I really want good feedback on this, it could still be a manufacturing fluke on some - but I'm getting a bit obsessive. I'm going to look forward to winter cooling me off!)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I notice on the new PA 12's they do lots of reinforcing of the deck with foam blocks. That could be a solution to where there is a lot of weight being applied to the deck.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:13 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Today I was told by my dealer that my 2009 PA 14 had a large crack in the hull... More to follow. (My PA 14 was the first PA 14 delivered to the NorthEast)

Fishing is not a matter of life or death... It's much more important than that!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Update....Picked up my new hull (under warranty) on Saturday. Yes, the newer hulls have more support inside in these areas so a correction has been made.

Again, Hobie rocks!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a crack just like the photo's on this thread on a 2010 PA. Have spoken with the local dealer about it, and they are contacting the manufacturer. Fingers crossed.

That said, I still wouldn't trade it for a different boat. Hope Hobie comes through, but if they don't I'll find a way to fix it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

2 years and no cracks.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've seen 3 PA14 crack on the port side ,exactly as the photos ?

I was thinking of buying a PA12. Now ??????? Maybe I'll just stay seated and keep my outback :x

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:19 pm 
Hobie Team Member

My Dealer is the Best... She contacted Hobie, who is replacing the PA-14. (HOBIE HAS ALWAYS STOOD BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS)

I AM A HAPPY YAKER

Fishing is not a matter of life or death... It's much more important than that!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Local dealer replaced the hull.

The new PA14 is re-enforced with a great deal more rigid foam support inside the hull.

Was very happy to see it come in. Really, really love this boat. Can't imagine being in anything else. The original hull was a 2010. I was sweating it a little. Was concerned they would send the "new" style PA14 and I'm kind of partial to the old seat. Happy to say they replaced the older hull with the same older (but improved) style. Very happy PA Captain!

Moral of the story.... Always find a good dealer to work with. It's SO worth the effort!